Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
Point Pleasant Race Advertising ? >

Point Pleasant Race Advertising ?

Notices

Point Pleasant Race Advertising ?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ocean County Observer used to do several pages with awesome photos comin out the inlet and during the race.

i hear what your sayin
Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
nice write up...i'm just remembering how they used to plaster the front page of the press back in the day
Yup! I remember one year when there was a full page write up on "Dragon Lady", there was a huge picture of the boat with descriptions of every part of the boat and what its purpose was.

It's kind of ironic that some of the most well known racers over the years are all from the NJ/NY areas....... Don Aronow, Bob Saccenti, Joel Halpern, the list goes on.

Also, I don't understand why Pt. Pleasant always gives the organizations a hard time......you would think the town wants our money. I was talking to my father about this just the other day and he said this has been going on since the beginning days and we don't understand why....

As far as the Ocean Cty. Observer and the Star Ledger, most of the public don't get that paper...

We need to get a hold of someone on the "inside" next year!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:19 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Bernie,

I sent these out on Sept 6th to the APP....

Not one response.... I tried ....

I did however provide the Ocean Star with Photos after they called me looking for them....

Subject: NJ Offshore Grand Prix this weekend.
To: [email protected]
Attn: Greig Henderson,

The offshore race is this weekend in Point Pleasant Beach.

I will be there taking photos if you would like to use something for an article I would be happy to provide them to you.

Here is a link to my website for photos of past events:

http://sharkeymarine.pages.web.com/p...pa_photos.html

Thank you for your time,

Tim Sharkey

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: NJ Offshore Grand Prix
Attn: Jim,

I will be there taking photos if you would like to use something for an article I would be happy to provide them to you.

Thank you for your time,

Tim Sharkey

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: NJ Offshore Grand Prix
Attn: Skip,

Thank you for your time,

Tim Sharkey

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Next year we need to do a little research and see if we can find someone we know who works for Gannett.... It's all who ya know..

Gannett owns APP.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

Not one single mention of the race in the APP.

But the Bumf*ck NJ. H.S. Chess team got half a page article!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Ocean County Observer used to do several pages with awesome photos comin out the inlet and during the race.
i hear what your sayin
Like this one?! Front page of the OC Observer next day.
Attached Thumbnails Point Pleasant Race Advertising ?-red-inlet.jpg  
Old 09-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

I had breakfast with BobbySaccenti on Sunday morning and we asked the waitress if she was going to the race that day. What race she asked? We told her that there was going to be a big offshore powerboat race held right off the beach in front of Jenkinson's. Oh the Benihana race is back she said !!!

I told the story to Rocky later that morning and we agreed that the only way for a race to get massive amounts of publicity, is for an outside organization to sponsor it and call it the XYZ Grand Prix....give it a name and then let the PR pros of that company handle all the pre race and post race publicity. Don't add something else to the people who are trying to run the race.

For instance if Geico (And I'm just using them for an example...they do a lot already to help offshore)...

If it was the Geico Grand Prix, they already have massive clout with advertising departments on major newspapers and magazines and networks. They could just twist the arms a little bit and be on the front page of the New York Times if they wanted to.

Remember, Rocky controlled the biggest media market in the world with the NY / NJ Metro area. Fifteen years later and people are still referring to it as the Benihana Grand Prix.

We had over 400,000 spectators and over 6,000 spectator vessels. We could only race on a Wednesday as the weekends would have been too crowded the Coast Guard said.

Just my .02cents
Old 09-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I had breakfast with BobbySaccenti on Sunday morning and we asked the waitress if she was going to the race that day. What race she asked? We told her that there was going to be a big offshore powerboat race held right off the beach in front of Jenkinson's. Oh the Benihana race is back she said !!!

I told the story to Rocky later that morning and we agreed that the only way for a race to get massive amounts of publicity, is for an outside organization to sponsor it and call it the XYZ Grand Prix....give it a name and then let the PR pros of that company handle all the pre race and post race publicity. Don't add something else to the people who are trying to run the race.

For instance if Geico (And I'm just using them for an example...they do a lot already to help offshore)...

If it was the Geico Grand Prix, they already have massive clout with advertising departments on major newspapers and magazines and networks. They could just twist the arms a little bit and be on the front page of the New York Times if they wanted to.

Remember, Rocky controlled the biggest media market in the world with the NY / NJ Metro area. Fifteen years later and people are still referring to it as the Benihana Grand Prix.

We had over 400,000 spectators and over 6,000 spectator vessels. We could only race on a Wednesday as the weekends would have been too crowded the Coast Guard said.

Just my .02cents
I totally agree...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

at the same point you would think that Jenkinsons would have also done something to assist in the promo. There always on the local radio stations, papers etc...maybe a month prior hang flyers and posters on the boardwalk, banners across the walkways etc...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:59 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
at the same point you would think that Jenkinsons would have also done something to assist in the promo. There always on the local radio stations, papers etc...maybe a month prior hang flyers and posters on the boardwalk, banners across the walkways etc...
I managed to get one of the Banners that was printed up by Corona, but not until the Thursday before the race....

I handed it off to the Mantoloking Road Pub who promptly displayed it in the front of their establishment.

I mentioned at the winter meeting that the poster boards need to be displayed as early as Easter Weekend. That weekend has been a standing tradition for Jenkinson's and the crowds are huge.
Then another blitz of the poster boards in the month of August for the Sept. Race.
If I can get my hands on the posters, I will be more than happy to distribute them out to area businesses to display in their storefront windows.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Point Pleasant Race Advertising ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.