Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
Class 5 Cambridge  all teams read this >

Class 5 Cambridge all teams read this

Notices

Class 5 Cambridge all teams read this

Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty....keep doing what your doing...if testing the boats keeps eveyone where they should be then do it....you have put bracket racing back on the map...do what you feel is the best for the sport and keeping everyone within the rules...

We have seen to many racers complain over the years...and its been a very mute problem this year....

You are the President....and you will always have racers complain....you have been fair to everyone and have heard them out on there concerns......and there always has to be RESPECT for the president....keep your vision and keep doing what you feel is the best for the sport....

Take care of Puff.....and will see ya in few days...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Flashwave
Bruce my point is exactly what you said "capable Speed" Boats should be classed based on what they are capable of. I took a look at the OSS results for SVL and all SVL light boats should be in class 4. As a group you were a little under 85 MPH in Biloxi, a little over in Pickwick. In class 4 you still have something to motivate you to improve and race harder. If you drop to class 5 you can keep and eye on the GPS. After a couple of races what satisfaction do you get from that?

Jim
Jim -

First off, there are no canopy boats allowed in class 5 other than the little 24' batboats. Now worries of a SVL dropping into class 5. Not too mention just about all 5 boats are singles, bumping them to 4 would be tough as they'd be running against twins AND longer boats. Running a time-trial style top speed setup is one thing, to run those speeds in a racing environment and having the necessary acceleration is quite another. Keep in mind it's not only power but you have to look at where a certain boat style is safest.

I just don' t understand how you can knock the GPS racing???? Look at not only overall team turn out but the numbers of DIFFERENT teams that have won or at least done very well!!! Best I've seen outta this sport in quite sometime. And to compare to F1?! That was great racing when it started but NO ONE came back when the series was brought back. Personally I HATE the idea of spec motors...drives the price of racing way up and opens the door for whining about cheating. The way we have it setup you build the boat for the class. Find the class your boat style fits and build the best powertrain combination you can and dial it in for the speed. It's out in the open and no reason for racers to *itch and whine too much.

Smitty - I agree with the above, do what you feel is best for the organization. However, I feel you need to rely more on the technology to be the final determining factor, not old school "get out and run it". I'm just curious how it is insured that the setup you run will be the same when the green drops??? With the number of breakouts, I'm sure that has everyone's attention and they'll do there best to run under the #. To me that's a more straight forward route than running them, but you may have other ideas. Again, you have provided a great place for all of us to race so if this is needed then by all means do it.

See everyone in Cambridge!

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 09-17-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Jim -

...However, I feel you need to rely more on the technology to be the final determining factor, not old school "get out and run it". I'm just curious how it is insured that the setup you run will be the same when the green drops??? With the number of breakouts, I'm sure that has everyone's attention and they'll do there best to run under the #. To me that's a more straight forward route than running them, but you may have other ideas. Again, you have provided a great place for all of us to race so if this is needed then by all means do it.

See everyone in Cambridge!
Nothing is taken away from the fine job OPA has done in putting on great races and building boat count. That is self evident. This discussion is about concerns like yours quoted above. How do you dial in classification of the boats, or, do you leave it alone and let it run?

Jim
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

Randy, we laid off the prop calc inforcement in the last couple of races and the result is self evident. The rule is prop calc. the GPS was intended as a back up, and a scoring device. The rule is the rule....we will inforce it. Besides, I love boat rides. Smitty
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Smitty....keep doing what your doing...if testing the boats keeps eveyone where they should be then do it....you have put bracket racing back on the map...do what you feel is the best for the sport and keeping everyone within the rules...

We have seen to many racers complain over the years...and its been a very mute problem this year....

You are the President....and you will always have racers complain....you have been fair to everyone and have heard them out on there concerns......and there always has to be RESPECT for the president....keep your vision and keep doing what you feel is the best for the sport....
AMEN
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Chris....are you coming to Cambidge....one of your boats is in the hunt...You need to come to Cambrige....I haven't seen you in a while....

Hope you can make it....first one is on me.....then the rest are on JC....
Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey Jim, As A former F1 Racer I totaly understand your point, but this is a different type of racing, yes we do watch the GPS in these flat water Races but its a lot more to it than that, First of all you are never racing by your self, you are always battling with 2 or more boats so it becomes more about excelleration, who turns the best and who can stay hooked up the best in the rough water. It's every bit as much setting up and testing as F1 was if not more because you have do do all this work within the parameters. On paper it seems boring but hike out here and join us you'll see what I mean. Look how many different winners we have had in class 5 and 4 this year, and some that didnt win may have finished 1 but broke out but, they were capable of winning.

Eddie