Notices

any suggestions

Old 06-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts
Default any suggestions

I have read all the rules, regs etc off of the site. I would like a little help setting my boat up.
1. what vhf radio do u suggest. one that can be used threw the helmets for race control.
2. gps for reading speed for throttleman. as big as i can get.
3. on board communication and ability to hear race control. " one is installed in boat now race/com brand
4. closed helmet suggestion pre wired for communication. where to buy?
5. jackets. guessing lifeline is the only one?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Mike Bacha
Old 06-21-2022, 11:48 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,116 Likes on 300 Posts

I really like my Simpson carbon fiber helmet. Light as a feather. DevilRay model.
LifeLine for jackets.
Garmin GPS for backup...Ipad hooked to the OPA unit for speed monitoring. It reacts the fastest. If you are using a Garmin alone turn the speed filter off.
Lots of options/budgets intercom wise. We use a cheaper one made by Speedcom but it works great..fits awesome in my helmet. Can't talk to race control while racing but you shouldnt have to for the most part. Cobra VHF turned up loud for Race Control communication.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank u very much. are u guys going to st.clair? I have to return some prop boxes to the monster team. i was going to hang out and ask questions.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with everything Saris said, great guys, we've seen the back of that yellow boat for years...
We use Bell and Lifelines.
We use redundant Garmin 840 GPSs and a standard dial GPS speedo for backup. We had issues with the iPad linked to the Race Logic overheating and shutting down during the race (yikes).
We use Rugged Radio. They provide an option to hear Race Control, but seldom hear them over the engines. They have a vopice activated intercom with "Push to talk" to engage the radio.
Best of luck
Throttle Therapy #435
Old 06-22-2022, 07:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Excellent info guys appreciate it. I hate to ask engine builder recommendations, i am pretty sure i know who i am going with but opinions are always helpful.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:11 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,116 Likes on 300 Posts

Whoever you use, and there are lots of good ones, all out HP is not your goal. MidRange torque is. We have pretty good recipes here but as I said, lots of good options.