APBA requiring a liscense to race? >

APBA requiring a liscense to race?

Notices

APBA requiring a liscense to race?

Old 10-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: APBA requiring a liscense to race?

Friends,

There is no cost for a license. While the word license was used, it is really intended for a racer to begin at an appropriate level based on their experience. This same rule applies in inboard hydroplanes and unlimiteds. The same is true for CART, INDYCAR, NASCAR, NHRA etc. the "license" requires someone to have demonstrated expertise in a smaller or slower class before moving into something significantly faster.

Again, no fee for the license, and in fact all of the APBA fees for 2005 have been reduced significantly.

Now Brett, for you we have a very, very special test

Steve David
APBA Offshore Chief Referee
Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have to take the swim test again do I???
Attached Thumbnails APBA requiring a liscense to race?-ndvd_016.jpg  
Old 10-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Gentleman I am now requiring APBA to obtain a license to have me as a racer- spectator or a sponsor. They first must demonstrate their ability to conduct smaller races before I will participate in or speculate in a larger race. This new policy is really intended for the APBA to begin an appropriate level based on their performance to conduct races.
There may be a fee for said license depending on my mood at the time.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All joking aside, this kind of move will hush alot of the critics of offshore racing. For year all I have heard is that "all you need is $$" to become an offshore racer... go buy a supercat and there you are. This type of move will lend some credibilty to the "professional" ranks of APBA. The question then becomes how to decide from the pool of current racers who is already qualified. I cant help but think that things are moving the right direction.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
I dont have to take the swim test again do I???
Not as long as you can prove you are proficient at it.

J
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Registered

I think it is a great idea. Even in the slower classes there should be some training involved. While this will slow the process to get on the water racing it is needed.

This weekend in Ventura there was a racer that darn near took out two boats on the pace lap. In the end costing one P3 boat a chance at winning as two of us had to come to a complete stop to avoid an accident.

There is no doubt in my mind if a license was required, this individuals could be revolked!

btw, what is the news on the bat boats? Can I no longer race mine?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

HI ryoung99. Sure you can race your Bat boat, they will now race in the appropriate P class, as opposed to a stand alone one design class. The goals of the APBA plan are many, one of them is a rule book that barring something unforseen, can remain unchanged for many years ahead from a hull and engine standpoint. 2nd.is to make the ProGrade classes the National classes with as much consumer recognized power as possible. P class(es) remain virtually untouched, allowing for innovation in both power, design, transmission, drive systems, etc. Whatever type of boat someone has, whatever kind of power they have, there is a home for them in P class, limited only by the appropriate speed bracket.

Thanks for supporting POPBRA!

Steve David
Old 10-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Registered

Steve,
Thanks for the note, I was kidding as I was pretty sure the boat could still be raced.

We had a blast with POPRA this season and look forward to many more. So what were the rule changes? We have heard a few of them, but would love to see something official.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Rick,

We hope to have the rules on the APBA website pretty soon. In the interim, feel free to call Jim Poplin. (I was late for the Saturday meeting and didn't get full details, my bad...................)

Stay well,

Steve
Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Registered

Rick,

That guy your talking about that cut you off took 2nd in the Worlds with a 21 boat F1 start.

I totally agree with the racing license concept. Should be interesting to see how it works.

J

Quick Reply: APBA requiring a liscense to race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.