Old 08-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Picked up a 28

We just went and picked up a 28 that I bought. It is a
single with a twin turbo setup. The boat is in great shape,
It is pretty much all original. I plan on completely re-doing
the boat. I will post a pic. or two sometime soon before I
get started on it. Now I just need to sell my 24 thats in the classifieds, so I can spend some of it on this 28. Any takers??
Old 08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Picked up a 28

bet that 28 is going to look awesome,your 24 is just bad aszzz.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is it ?? i am sure you will do a great job on it.twin turbo set up in a 28' single, thats unique.congrats !!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you change your mind and want to sell the 28 as is please let me know I am looking for a single engined one with a pleasure interior no motor or drive is OK..
Old 08-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Registered

Here you go for all you picture lovers like myself before all the fun starts. I have already taken the windshield off and started getting ready for fabrication of a fairing. The motor is
a talldeck 468 with twin PFM turbos & large prototype intercooler, and its full of good internals. Carrilo rods, JE pistons,forged steel crank, Ect....... It should make pretty good HP, However I am not for shure how much it will make.
This is my first turbo boat , so there will be a learning curve!
I will keep you guys posted as progress goes on. Later, Scott
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 28-mvc-003s.jpg   Picked up a 28-mvc-004s.jpg   Picked up a 28-mvc-008s.jpg  

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 08-18-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered

A few more.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 28-mvc-005s.jpg   Picked up a 28-mvc-001s.jpg   Picked up a 28-mvc-007s.jpg  

Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

too bad you can't spool up a turbo on a boat like you can on a car or truck...would be cool to hear that thing spool up and then take off.

Will be an interesting project for us to watch.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Registered

Wow you got quite a project! I thought I was the only one around who looks at something ruff and sees a finished custom boat or car. (Sometimes I think its a curse! It kinds sucks when my freinds are out having fun on the weekends and I'm full of body dust or grease.) Not that your boat is ruff and I'm sure it solid. I would have bought it also. I cant wait to see the finished project. I'm sure it will be killer like your 24 Pantera. Can you post pictures of the before interior and haul? How long do you think this project will take you? And how did you find out about this Pantera? I need to find one like this! Good luck with your project!

Russ
Old 08-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Registered

Good looking boat. The turbos you have is good for about 18lbs of boost with a 454. Since I do not see any waste gates I am guessing the boost is limited by a bypass hole in the the turbo housing. The setup looks similar to the Gale Banks package that was made in the 70's to maybe early 80's. Gale Banks rated their packages with a 454 at 850 HP @ 15lbs, 750 or 725HP @ 12 lbs of boost, 650 HP at 9-10 lbs of boost. As to your HP, take a guess from there. Today people are getting 750-800 hp with 5 lbs of boost with whipples or centrifugals blowers. In your pictures I can not see the exhaust manifolds. These are the limiting part of the complete package. It looks from the pictures that you have twice the intercooler that the gale banks setup had. For the motor to have water injections, & a separate gas tank for race fuel I am guessing that the motor has run more than 5lbs of boost in the past.

How is the takeoff? What kind of outdrive & prop is on boat.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Registered

Jack, It has a stern powr outdrive, so it shouldn't have a problem handleing the HP. As far as holeshot goes I rode in the boat about 15 min. before I bought it and the old man was driving but it came up on plane with ease without much effort with 4 adults in the boat. The exhaust manifolds are what I would call jet boat style manifolds. ( downswept aluminum logs ) At the risk of this being a stupid question here you go. If the boost is limited by bypass holes, How do you regulate boost or do you? What is a safe amount of boost on pump gas, The total timing is set at 28 degres, and how safe is 15 or so lbs. with race gas ? And would 15lbs. or so be possible with the bypass holes limiting the boost ? Thanks , Scott

Quick Reply: Picked up a 28

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.