Header Problem

Notices

Header Problem

Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Problem

Well, after 143 hours I was out 2 weekends ago testing a Hydromotive QIV-X when at 4800 RPM's my smartcraft started chiming. Looking at the Oil Pressure gauge I was at 20. Not a good thing I thought so I motored slowly to the dock. Put the boat on Trailer and hauled her to Ocean Performance. Was informed Monday that I have a cracked header internally. Can you believe they want $4,300.00 per without install. OUCH! I checked with Mercury Racing and I'm out of warranty, but they said under the 3 year corrsoion warranty I should send them the header and they will let me know if it's corrosion or not. Fat chance I'd wait for them with summer hopefully around the corner. I then called CMI who supplies their headers. Spoke to them and they had just gotten a call from John T. at TNT. Someone had ordered a stock 525EFI but didn't specify the proper header configuration for their staggered setup. John T. had the guy call me and I bought the new pair for a total of $3,395.00. Saved mucho dinero. OP told me that they had this problem on another 525EFI last fall. What luck. I hope I get the boat today or tomorrow. Getting a P5-X 23P from Hydromotive tomorrow and would like to test it. I'm going to send the old headers back to CMI for a test and repair. I also am having OP put in a valve for my fresh water flush so that I can flush the engine out with sucking salt water in. Another $350.

You just gotta love this sport. Thought I'd share this event with you all. I'd hate to have twin 525's and have this happen. Although I know a few that do. Best to flush her good or run it on the lake.

Will post the results of my P5-X test. BTW...the boat ran poorly with the QIV-X 25.

Later
Old 06-08-2006, 01:16 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Header Problem

Next time get Lightning Headers. Real Deal.
I hope you get your old pair back fixed for free, would make a nice backup.

Last edited by Stormrider; 06-08-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ron,

Let me know if I can help you with anything. I think you will be pleased with the P5 X. I have tested a few on the 28' single and seem to run good out in the Ocean. Let me know how it works out on your boat.

Regards,

JO
Old 06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Registered

Good luck.

Exit 57, CT. is where I usually am !

Glenn
Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 136 Likes on 61 Posts

You just gotta love this sport.
I know that's right.
I look foward to the prop results
Old 06-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Guys:

Boat is all ready for me to pickup tomorrow. I'm sending the old headers to CMI for repair. I'm probably going to keep them as a spare.

JO:

I'm excited about the 5 blade. Will post the results.

Best to all.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

Hey Ron ,It's a windy Saturday morning , get FullThrottle out in the sound today , good rough water for her today . Let us know how you make out with the 5 blade !!!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

talon25:

Had fun in the slop today. Just took a blast and really like the mid-range. Around 52 at 4200. Better than the 26 labbed by a few mph. Hit 68 but ran out of the little flat water I could find. Had 1/4 tank, 3-4 footers, intermittent chop, and just this short fat Italian. Windy as hell. Propeller likes to get the bow down, ass up. I'll check it out tomorrow. Everything seems fine with the engine. I'll post a pic of the header shortly. Will send both to CMI for repair. Ouch they were $$$$ !!

Later

Last edited by Full Throttle 525; 06-10-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Glad to hear you're running again. For anyone else out there, call us we stock all the CMI Headers and we could have given you a little better deal...honestly. You did good though!

Kirk
Old 06-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks KirK:

I really didn't know what to do and I wanted to get in the water. I'll keep you in mind if anything else comes up. Hopefully not.

Quick Reply: Header Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.