Prop for a 24

Notices

Prop for a 24

Old 09-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Prop for a 24

I have a 3blade hydromotive 24 that worked real well on mine, I got 68.1 at 4950 and 76.5gps at 5550rpms With your motor you would be somewhere inbetween but it does not run as fast on flat calm water. If you are interested in the Hydromotive let me know. I also have a mirage plus 25 but I do not think that a non roller 454motor will turn it past 4800. Otherwise you could get a 23 mirage plus used from the classifieds and that should get the motor to about 5400 and be a good all around prop to start with. Your boat should handle real well with the hyd steering with any of the above props. The bravo1 is also a good all around choice but it will cost a few mph on top unless it is lab finished. Chris
Attached Thumbnails Prop for a 24-hccl24r.jpg  

Last edited by IRONMAN; 09-20-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have ran a Mirage +, standard Mirage, Hydromotive Quad IV, Turbo and Bravo 1 on my 24 and the Mirage is the fastest.

Quad IV ran way too flat and needed a ton of trim.

Bravo 1 threw the boat around way too much.

All the 3-blades were pretty close with the Mirage being the fastest. However, the cruise rpm sucks and they do blowout getting on plane once in awhile.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I found the same thing with the Q4 on my 24. The Hydromotive 3 blade is VERY different than the Q4 but still not quite as much bow lift as mirage when it is really calm. Midrange was decent too with that prop too because of the 15.5 diam but not as good as the B1 4 blade. We did a back to back test of 3 blades on my friends Donzi, 25 mirage 26 Hydro3 bl and 25 mirage plus and the Hydro 3 was fastest on that particular boat by almost 2mph over the mirage, and the plus was about 1.5 less than the std mirage. I only found the bravo to throw the boat around when it was really rough 3's to 4's and up but my B1 was labbed and that may have made a difference.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 23P Mirage that you can try also.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
I found the same thing with the Q4 on my 24. The Hydromotive 3 blade is VERY different than the Q4 but still not quite as much bow lift as mirage when it is really calm. Midrange was decent too with that prop too because of the 15.5 diam but not as good as the B1 4 blade. We did a back to back test of 3 blades on my friends Donzi, 25 mirage 26 Hydro3 bl and 25 mirage plus and the Hydro 3 was fastest on that particular boat by almost 2mph over the mirage, and the plus was about 1.5 less than the std mirage. I only found the bravo to throw the boat around when it was really rough 3's to 4's and up but my B1 was labbed and that may have made a difference.
Hmmm, maybe I need to try a Hydro 3 blade! Do you still have the prop?

I found the same with the Bravo in the sloppy water. I tested it on calm water and loved the planing and cruise. Went out a few days later to a bigger lake and it was sloppy out. Not big water just washing machine slop. I couldn't even drive the boat! I tried several different things and it never felt "right". Weird because I know some people(including Jo) run the Bravo 1 on occasion.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

the wife and kids will be out with me a lot on the boat so I would like to have a good cruise speed seeing that's where I'm guessing I will be 90% of the time. sorry for all the questions I just hope the first prop I get works well for me. As you can tell I know noting about this and I cant believe the difference from one prop to another with the stern lift, not as fast on flat water, hard to drive in rough water.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tggrounds
the wife and kids will be out with me a lot on the boat so I would like to have a good cruise speed seeing that's where I'm guessing I will be 90% of the time. sorry for all the questions I just hope the first prop I get works well for me. As you can tell I know noting about this and I cant believe the difference from one prop to another with the stern lift, not as fast on flat water, hard to drive in rough water.
If you're X is at 17" the and you cruise 90% of the time I would try a Bravo 1. What rpm should your motor run at WFO?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Banned
Gold Member

I have the following sitting on my shelf in my garage:

Bravo's - 24P, 26P, (2) 28P all RH Rotation

Mirage Plus - 23P, 25P, 27P all RH Rotation

Mirage - 29P RH Rotation

Stern Driver - 28P RH Rotation

For the cost of shipping, you are welcome to try any of them until you figure it out.

Sincerely,

Kirk
Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kirk what is working best on your 28 now?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,
T-Mone and switch props last night while cruising around the CT River.
I normally run a labbed 28 Bravo that I am quite happy with, but I wanted to through a 3 blade for the hell of it.
T-Mone's labbed 27p Mirage + was about 1.5mph faster at WOT (5000rpm) vs. my 4 blade, but about 5mph slower at 3500-4000rpm.
The 3 blade also took some feathering to come out of the hole.
I have found 4 blade props are better all around vs. 3 blades on these type hulls.
I have not tryed a 15-1/2 dia 3 blade as of yet though...

Quick Reply: Prop for a 24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.