Fuel tank return line

Notices

Fuel tank return line

Old 12-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank return line

I need to install a return line to the tank. My last engine utilized cool fuel and I returned to the seperater.

Is there an extra plug at the tank? Too lazy to go look today!
Old 12-25-2006, 01:44 PM
GT
Registered

Default Re: Fuel tank return line

Kirk,

I am pretty sure your current pickup tube is going to be too small, probably 3/8". Use that bung for the return and weld in a 1/2" pickup for your main fuel line.
DON'T BLOW YOURSELF UP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's Christmas!
Old 12-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CP makes this inline tube.This is how I did mine.I would make sure on the outlet in the tank though
Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank return line-hustler-insatll-3-15-06-035-medium-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Thanks Rob, I know about that one, but Pantera has the fill in the bow of the boat. Too difficult to tie into.

I'll look at the fuel outlet ports tomorrow. Maybe there's a removable plate or something that I can take off and weld a 1/2" outlet to.

Or I'll weld on the tank...BOOM!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

On my Scarab I went thru a access plate by the fuel level sender in the floor of the boat,cut out a 3 inch round hole in the alum tank.emptied and dry vac out the shavings, I made a aluminum plate and put 2 pick ups ,#10 and 5/8 tubing,and a #10 return bulkhead dump,bulkhead style fitting and Earls anluim hose w/ flared the end and tube nut bent kinda like a J I put a 45 cut on the end that was close to the floor of the tank.The plate with the fitting and hose in I drilled hole in it and taped the top of the tank, Kinda like a ATL fuel cell, I use fine thread bolts . Use a rubber style material the fuel didn't bother it .It worked fine a little over kill. and doesn't leak.Just remember the J tube down let the interfere with the fuel level sending unit arm inside the tank.Maybe that will give a idea

Old 12-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

My tank has a single 3/8 pickup and another 3/8 bunge that is plugged which I would assume would be fro a second engine's pick up. They are both welded to the tank. No plate that can be removed to enlarge them. There is also no other plate anywhere on my tank( I've had my floor out) that can be removed other than the fuel level sender. This can all be view under inspection plate under the back seat.

A thought to consider----Run fuel pick ups off both 3/8 bunges and T them together into a 1/2" or 10AN line so you get eough fuel. For the return, if you pull the floor, you could T the fuel return back in at the fuel fill hose under the floor. Something to consider instead of welding on a fuel tank

The fuel fill hose and vent hose enter the tank in the red X area.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank return line-pantera-cockpit-fuel.jpg  

Last edited by Griff; 12-26-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:52 AM
GT
Registered

Kirk,

You are in luck. IMCO makes a plate/bung combination that screws to your tank(no welding). It might be worth checking out, if you need it. If that tank has ever has gas in it(and we know it has) I would not even think about welding on it.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Yours is same vintage as mine, no?

I had a 1/2" feed and there was a return, can't recall if it was 1/2 or 3/8, but either way it was there and you could get at it from the access hole centered under the bench seat.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Pepe to the rescue!! There is a 1/2" plug in the tank for when they install twins!! 1/2" supply and 3/8" return. This project is going too well!

I didn't expect to have the boat patched and painted until Feb/March and didn't expect my engine until March/April.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Last edited by Elite Marine; 12-26-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Griff
My tank has a single 3/8 pickup and another 3/8 bung that is plugged which I would assume would be fro a second engine's pick up. They are both welded to the tank. No plate that can be removed to enlarge them. There is also no other plate anywhere on my tank( I've had my floor out) that can be removed other than the fuel level sender. This can all be view under inspection plate under the back seat.

A thought to consider----Run fuel pick ups off both 3/8 bung's and T them together into a 1/2" or 10AN line so you get eough fuel. For the return, if you pull the floor, you could T the fuel return back in at the fuel fill hose under the floor. Something to consider instead of welding on a fuel tank

The fuel fill hose and vent hose enter the tank in the red X area.

The t ing or Y ing in to 2 say 3/8's to get more volume. I have been told by Doug at Barry Grant that this will actually hurt fuel flow/volume.He said something about the pump having to pull from the 2 smaller pickups cuts down on it.