Engine won't turn over >

Engine won't turn over

Notices

Engine won't turn over

Old 03-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't turn over

Went to just tap the ignition just to make sure it would start (just wanted to make sure before lugged a hose, etc. out and hooked it up to fire her up). Buzzer is on when turn to ignition, but it does not do anything. Volts drop completely. So charged the battery up. Put on a metter, and the battery is reading good. Everything works, but it won't turn over. I am going to hook the water up tomorrow to see if there is some safety feature, but I don't think there is, as I have tapped it before to make sure it would turn over. Any ideas of what might be the problem. Wanted to change the oil, etc. before taking to the shop to have the outdrive serviced. The guys that winterized it said I would not have to do anything and that the boat would be ready to go in the spring, if I chose to not have the outdrive serviced. I am going to call them on Monday, but I am not using them, as they were the only ones I could get to winterize the boat quickly. Taking to another place that specializes in high performance engines. They were fine, but not sure if they disconected something. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

either starter or maybe just a bad ground... Check if they did not disconnect a big battery cable, or maybe just loose cable... Good luck! Keep us posted!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the kill switch tether installed
Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered

Yea, the kill switch is installed. I pulled it out and put back. Even pulled out and pushed the button in, just in case something was wrong with the pull-off thingy. Still nothing. Its pissing me off, as I know it is something stupid, or something needs replaced. Really don't think anything needs replaced, as new engine and rigging are not that old. Maybe three years or so.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you wiggle the shifter as you are trying the starter? sometimes the neutral safety switch can cause problems.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Batteries could have took a **** and maybe have run down to low to take a charge.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

The battery is reading good. Even did crank assist just to see if would Bump it. Must not be the batter. Not sure where to start to look for a lose wire. Red is to red and black is to black. Wires all look connected. Although, there is a white wire coming out of the MSD ignition control that is not attached to anything. I am assuming it was already like this and does not need to be connected to anything. Wires everywhere. Where might I look to locate a lose ground. Any ideas? I wonder if they knocked something lose somewhere.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Maybe you can try banging on the starter. The brushes might be corroded and hanging up or the selinoid might be stuck.

Russ
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 199 Posts

Did you try to crank it over by hand first?
Old 03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 137 Likes on 61 Posts

Cortholl, what did you mean "volts drop completely"

Put a VOM on the battery( on the actual posts) and then try to crank. If the " volts drop" while it's under ignition load then the batt is toast.

12 volts on the meter in a stand by mode only shows potenial.

If the voltage stays good then check it at the starter while under ignition load.
If it's droping down at the starter and NOT at the battery then you have a wire problem.
You can find the bad connection with a meter, just check in various places alond the path. when you find the area that is poor, your voltage will drop after that spot.
The bad area acts like a resistor and the voltage is droped accross it. (hight vooltage on one side and low voltage on the other. You could even check the Battery post and then the battery terminal connection with the meter and check out the difference.

(I hope I didn't confuse you )

Last edited by tomcei; 03-25-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine won't turn over

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.