Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
Engine Poll >

Engine Poll

Notices
View Poll Results: Which engine option does the "Pantera Family" like best for useable 750hp?
8-71 blown 540 with carbs and intercooler
56.25%
Naturally aspirated (single carb) 632
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Poll

Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the milder blower motors. Had a 454 magefi wth whipple in the daytona 25 and now my 540 in the Pantera with a mild 6 lb Whipple system, dyno'd 662 uncorrected in a 99 degree room at 1000 feet of elevation. At cruise you are out of the boost so the motor has a kinder life and mileage is pretty decent, boost is there with a flick of the wrist, sounds good too

It might be asier to sell Griff's/your boat and move up a notch
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

dude, PM sent.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

Tomas, you know something you're not telling us? You voted for NA!

Cattitude, you're a funny guy! You're boat is beautiful. I'm amazed it hasn't sold yet!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to add any more confusion but a 3.3 whipple intercooled with a single carb on top of your blower prepped already stout long block would be an easy bolt on and then you could take your time building the 502 or 540 to eventually put under the 3.3. Then return the 454 to a stock 525sc as spare or sell.

I also think that the whipple will fit under the hatch where an 871 needs more height.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
Not to add any more confusion but a 3.3 whipple intercooled with a single carb on top of your blower prepped already stout long block would be an easy bolt on and then you could take your time building the 502 or 540 to eventually put under the 3.3. Then return the 454 to a stock 525sc as spare or sell.

I also think that the whipple will fit under the hatch where an 871 needs more height.
Actually a very good idea, mighty not gain much without a cam change though
Old 06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think Griff already did the cam upgrade, hopefully he'll chime in.

And it would be possible to do it all without loosing one weekend of boating.

Last edited by IRONMAN; 06-27-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

Yup, Griff did an upgrade to the cam. I was looking at the card yesterday, but don't remember the numbers. Brain fade.

I'm not really into the whipples from a looks perspective and I really don't like the lack of positive drive that the serpentine style belt provides. I'll admit I like the classic big roots blower look and cog belt.

Chris I saw you lost a drive. Sorry to hear that! Man, the season is too short for you not to be out running the boat!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What do you think of the looks of the whipple 305 blower, It resembles the roots more closely and will work nicely on 454 to 598 engines.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

More traditional looking and definately a plus that it has cog belt drive. My favorite are those PSI high helix units, sadly my mysterious rich uncle hasn't appeared to give me a bushel basket full of $100 bills yet!

I'm definately leaning towards a roots blown 540. I may stick the roots on the 454 for now and get everything set up and then do the 540 long-block as I get the time.

I've been thinking of buying a used motor, but my stomach knots up to think of shelling out big cash for something (even if its cheaper than building something new) and not knowing what's really inside it.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
More traditional looking and definately a plus that it has cog belt drive. My favorite are those PSI high helix units, sadly my mysterious rich uncle hasn't appeared to give me a bushel basket full of $100 bills yet!

I'm definately leaning towards a roots blown 540. I may stick the roots on the 454 for now and get everything set up and then do the 540 long-block as I get the time.

I've been thinking of buying a used motor, but my stomach knots up to think of shelling out big cash for something (even if its cheaper than building something new) and not knowing what's really inside it.

IF/WHEN you go that way- look at a Whipple with carb- has the traditional looks, much better/more efficient blower

Quick Reply: Engine Poll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.