Volvo DPX drive

Notices

Volvo DPX drive

Old 09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Volvo making the DPX again?
You can not compare a Volvo DPX to a Merc BIII; Vary different animals.
I have a bud with a 275HP Volvo DP in/on a 18' Donzi. That boat runs great and tops out around 65mph.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Is Volvo making the DPX again?
You can not compare a Volvo DPX to a Merc BIII; Vary different animals.
I have a bud with a 275HP Volvo DP in/on a 18' Donzi. That boat runs great and tops out around 65mph.
No, unfortunately they're not making it again. And you're right you cannot compare it to a B3.

A friend has a U19 with a 275 running through a Duoprop that runs 68 mph with modified F9s.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 104 Posts

They do not make the DPX anymore however the currently produced DPS is very similar. Definitely prettier. Improved in some ways and maybe not quite as strong in others. Still has the integral hyd. steering.

Arguably still better than a standard Merc Bravo. As with anything, it is going to depend on the HP in front of it, as well as the way you drive it.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
They do not make the DPX anymore however the currently produced DPS is very similar. Definitely prettier. Improved in some ways and maybe not quite as strong in others. Still has the integral hyd. steering.

Arguably still better than a standard Merc Bravo. As with anything, it is going to depend on the HP in front of it, as well as the way you drive it.
The DPS does not have the external steering. However they make a DPR duoprop drive that is made for high speed Diesel applications with external steering!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the DPX was thew hot setup for the single V bat boat racing class a few years back with stock speeds in the 70 - 80 range. What are the Bat boats using now?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been hearing nothing but good things about the drives.....didn't know anything about them. I am leaning towards putting it on the boat. Does anyone know whether the cut outs are similar on the transom? Would I be able to go back to a Bravo if it doesn't work out without having to fill in the transom?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thedonz
I've been hearing nothing but good things about the drives.....didn't know anything about them. I am leaning towards putting it on the boat. Does anyone know whether the cut outs are similar on the transom? Would I be able to go back to a Bravo if it doesn't work out without having to fill in the transom?
I don't know about the cut-outs but I know Donzi used the same X as the Bravo.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
I thought the DPX was thew hot setup for the single V bat boat racing class a few years back with stock speeds in the 70 - 80 range. What are the Bat boats using now?
Yes the Bat Boats did use the DPX. I don't know what they are using now.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by thedonz
The cutouts are not the same. The Volvos have a larger cutout area. There was, and I believe, still available aluminum adapter plates to go from Volvo to Merc drives. The other possibility might be to cheat the cutout to a size small enough to still accomadate a Bravo. It looks like on mine the cutout could be kept smaller without much consequence based on what I can see. Its tight with those twin 540s in there
Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Donzi Classic has a Volvo 7.4gsi/DPX package. Strong out the hole, very good mid-range pull, and 72 mph wot...with hands-free "on rails" handling! E-4 props, zero problems, very sweet set-up.

Quick Reply: Volvo DPX drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.