Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades

Notices

Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades

Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Just talked to Matt. The machine shop guys shet the bed and F'd up the line boring of the new rear main cap... So, another week to get a new rear main cap plus boring and clean up...

I'm going to start taking side action on how long it will be before I say "F this" on this motor and buy another one instead...

Sorry Dude .. that sux ......
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt Scott... Hey what the heck, it's only been 3 months! Oh well, at least it's not two motors!
That was definitely one of the main factors in rigging my boat as a single !
The " at least its not two motors " statement can be applied in many situations...
I have enough trouble trying to afford everything that goes along with one motor.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcei
Hey Dude, It will just make it that much better for you when it's finally done. Think of it like fore play
Fore play? What's that?!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Fore play? What's that?!
I'm not sure but I've always heard about it
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Soooo... dropped the motor off to the dyno yesterday. Hopefully we'll make our pulls later this week. I won't say too much about the motor until we make the runs, but here's a photo. Doesn't look much like Bruce and Albert's old motor anymore, huh?!

Thinking about a tunnel ram next, if the dyno shows us that it would like more air and more fuel!
Attached Thumbnails Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-031708_15541.jpg  

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 03-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

And since everyone asked about it, here's some "carnage" photos from the "old" engine.

So as a refresher... as far as I know, this motor had 19 dyno pulls on it and then approximately one hour of run time in my boat.

Here's the box of stuff that came back from the machine shop (other than the valvesprings which I left there by accident).

The failure began at the oil pump. The oil pump ate itself and distributed iron throught the motor. I've got some good shot of what came out of the oil filters, but I forgot to download them.
Attached Thumbnails Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-100_1239.jpg   Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-100_1225.jpg   Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-100_1224.jpg  

Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Soooo... dropped the motor off to the dyno yesterday. Hopefully we'll make our pulls later this week. I won't say too much about the motor until we make the runs, but here's a photo. Doesn't look much like Bruce and Albert's old motor anymore, huh?!
But It looks nice for sure!! What oil cooler you have there? The big one with thermostat?

Hey Dude, dont forget the video cam when they do the dyno pulls!!

Mange
Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Registered

Here's a couple of the pistons. They all look like this to a greater or lesser extent. That's what the professional race engineer types call "done blow'd up!".

But, it was probably a "blessing in disguise" that I lost oil pressure because when the motor came apart, we discovered some other interesting things... Here's some shots of the pushrods. They were hitting the heads because they were too long. That's what that rash is in the middle of the push rods. I also mentioned that the valvespring came out. They were toast. Got really crappy seat pressures when they were pulled. Also a couple other things, but I meant this to be for fun and not as a rant. Anyhow, if I'd dropped a valve, it could have been worse and could have been more expensive.

So, kids... the lesson here is never pay more for a used race motor than you'd pay for the heads, block, intake and carb and always cut open the filter as soon as you get a used motor... becuase when it comes to used race stuff, there's a very fine line between used and used up!
Attached Thumbnails Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-100_1217.jpg   Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-100_1220.jpg   Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades-100_1226.jpg  

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 03-18-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mange
But It looks nice for sure!! What oil cooler you have there? The big one with thermostat?

Hey Dude, dont forget the video cam when they do the dyno pulls!!

Mange
Thanks man! Yah, I dig it. My other race motors were always black with natural colored heads, so I went back to what I know!

The cooler is is a big mother with a thermostat on it. I can't remember what brand it was though. Wanted to be safe on the cooler, even though I don't generally run the boat in water that's over 66 degrees (F).
Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cooler is is a big mother with a thermostat on it. I can't remember what brand it was though. Wanted to be safe on the cooler, even though I don't generally run the boat in water that's over 66 degrees (F).

Yeep, looks like Mama 28" oil cooler from Hardin Marine. A great piece. I use it in my 28 Arrow. Had it before in my 28 Pantera Race

Quick Reply: Dude! Sweet! 28 Pantera upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.