Diary of a Madman >

Diary of a Madman

Notices

Diary of a Madman

Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a typical bravo with a through hub prop the air can be drawn down through the drive and fill the void behind the prop hub where the exhaust would normally go if it was set up for through prop exhaust. If there is no way for surface air to fill that cylinder or cone shaped void then you end up dragging water behind the prop and often times handling issues would arise like lack of bow lift and the boat heeling more abruptly due to prop torque. I am by no means a drive expert however we tried using merc type through hub props on volvo drives back in the '80s while dialing in some donzi classics and the through hub prop on the volvo drive that had no provision to vent through the hub never worked well. When we had some custom props made or re hubbed outboard style overhub props we had great results even with similar blade geometry. On most twins and cats the drives are typically high enough that this becomes a non issue. If you look at the lower on the merc NXT you will see that they allow air to follow down the back of the drive leg and actually around the outside of the prop hub to fill the void behind the drive and prop so that it will work well with #6 style or Bravo type props.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

I hope I don't sound like I have a PHD in D U M B.
Are you saying the thru hub exhaust style prop needs venting to eliminate a vacuum?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcei
I hope I don't sound like I have a PHD in D U M B.
Are you saying the thru hub exhaust style prop needs venting to eliminate a vacuum?
Yea, thats my experience/ opinion
Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomcei:

I just came back to forums after some time away. I am back to work on my boat. I am going to confess early. I am stealing your idea and design for the footwells. I am 6'3" and have been wondering what to do. I am heading to the metal shop after I get my butt off the net! The wells look fairly easy to fab and I like the ball milled look you finished it off with. Great job and when I run into tough spots on my rebuild I run to OSO and look at yours to give me ideas. Let me know if you need those pics and deminsions of my hatch.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Hey PF no problem.
I'll let you know. If you want any measurements or different picks I'm happy to share. I'm very happy with the out come. I will post some more pics when it's trimmed out.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

cabin almost finished, now all my colors match. looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails Diary of a Madman-sany0082.jpg   Diary of a Madman-cabin1.jpg   Diary of a Madman-cabin3.jpg  

Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Registered

I used the same seat pads and re sewed (sp) them with blue piping. Stripped all the red/fushia carpet. What a total pain in the rear. Replaced it with a thick gray fabric because I couldn't find the carpet style I wanted. Also changed the panels whith the lights to the same blue. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, so nothing crazy just a nice make over. Now the boat is consistant through out.
Attached Thumbnails Diary of a Madman-cabin2.jpg  
Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As usual it looks nice...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered

man, I can believe I have not lost my mind over this project.
All summer long and no Pantera.
I know some of these pics are no brainers but the board has been slow so I'm making a bigger deal out of this stuff than nessary. Bare with me.

now why can't i seem to find the "manage attachments" buttons?????????
Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcei
now why can't i seem to find the "manage attachments" buttons?????????

Always first class work Tom!

I noticed lately when the site has been slow it takes a little while for the attachment section of the page to load ... patience Grasshopper ........

Quick Reply: Diary of a Madman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.