Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
What to look for on a 24 >

What to look for on a 24

Notices

What to look for on a 24

Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

that boat should really get up and go with 370 hp....did you do a compression or leak down test on the engine? Strawberry shake in the tranny means you are getting water in there....did you check the oil coolers for leaks? When you throttled from 2k rpm, what happened to the rpm vs the boat speed? did it seem like the engine was reving up but there was no concomitant movement with the hull? did it seem like the tranny was slipping?....you should factor this in before overspending on the boat

Last edited by thedonz; 06-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beck427
alright I finally took the boat out. I noticed it took a while to get on plane. he said it was sitting for a while so I didn't think much of it but when I would throttle the boat around 2k rpm it had little to no response seemed weird. I figured just the wrong prop. When we got back to the dock I was giving it a final once over before I gave him the cash and I noticed some foam near the transom.... with further investigation there was a strawberry shake in the dipstick to the transmission. Appears to be a onepiece mercruiser transmission..... any idea or thoughts on what it is.....
Hey Beck, I know exactly why you have strawberry shake on the tranny dipstick. It happened to me too. I winterized mine the first year I had it, and didn't realize I needed to drian the oil cooler in the merctrans. Well, it froze and cracked. They wanted a small fotune for a new one from Merc, so I just took it to a reputable radiator shop. They brazed it up and have never had an issue since.

Hope your issue is as simple.

Shawn Arnold
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered

engine appears to be running fine, the engine did not bog or hesitate it was like the transmission was just slipping for the first 3/4 of throttle but rpm's would come up fine. once the boat was up and going the rpm's came to 5500 with a 23 prop. could trim to get more but I throttled back to keep them under 5k. I really do not think that the engine has any problems but the trans was almoat like it took 2k rpm to get it to move, it was not abrupt like a clunk just mushy. if it is water in the trans where would it be coming from? I took off the return from the cooling that runs to the exhaust and I looked, it's clean no sign of oil though I'm sure the water wants to go in more then the oil out. I spoke with a mechanic that said somthing about a drive boot alowing water in the trans. with the sterndrive tilted up you can see white residu coming from the lower hole what I see is 2 3" holes vertically in line with a boot only on the upper, is there a lower boot? it looked that there were two smaller holes that came up at 45's that would allow water in if there was a boot but ....there is a similar hole on the sterndrive. it there a seal that is easily replaced or does the trans def have to come out????

what would you think a boat in fair condition, everything working minus the trans, would be worth???
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered

So..........did you buy it?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beck427
engine appears to be running fine, the engine did not bog or hesitate it was like the transmission was just slipping for the first 3/4 of throttle but rpm's would come up fine. once the boat was up and going the rpm's came to 5500 with a 23 prop. could trim to get more but I throttled back to keep them under 5k. I really do not think that the engine has any problems but the trans was almoat like it took 2k rpm to get it to move, it was not abrupt like a clunk just mushy. if it is water in the trans where would it be coming from? I took off the return from the cooling that runs to the exhaust and I looked, it's clean no sign of oil though I'm sure the water wants to go in more then the oil out. I spoke with a mechanic that said somthing about a drive boot alowing water in the trans. with the sterndrive tilted up you can see white residu coming from the lower hole what I see is 2 3" holes vertically in line with a boot only on the upper, is there a lower boot? it looked that there were two smaller holes that came up at 45's that would allow water in if there was a boot but ....there is a similar hole on the sterndrive. it there a seal that is easily replaced or does the trans def have to come out????

what would you think a boat in fair condition, everything working minus the trans, would be worth???
The lower hole is for exhaust, doesnt need a boot.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

yeah I bought the boat....... flushed the trans and I am now getting quotes on rebuilding it. Turns out it was a bad hoseclamp on the bellow. I wwill post pics as soon as I figureout how to attach them.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered

1st try

Last edited by beck427; 07-01-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

Very nice, paint looks like new. Congrats on the new boat
Attached Thumbnails What to look for on a 24-pntera-24.jpg  

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 07-01-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

thank you....... I think the light must have caught her just right for the photo... lol
Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Boat, looks a lot like mine did before i redid it, Good luck and if ya need to know anything, I have been thru mine from top to bottom, front to back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.