Engine Shutting Down >

Engine Shutting Down

Notices

Engine Shutting Down

Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Shutting Down

I finally got my 24 SE in the water today for a test run today, (bought it in March). After about 2 minutes run time on plane the engine stalled. Attempted to restart, fired right up, got on plane and shut down again after about 2 minutes. This happened about a dozen times. The boat will idle for extended periods with no problems but will not run on plane or low RPMs for more than a few minutes.

I wasnt able to a sea trial when I purchased it but did have a survey. In addition I spent about 1K going through the boat general serice items and trying to clean up the wiring. This boat was not rigged by Joe or PP but rather by a guy named Bill in the midwest, very poor quality rigging, mainly used all red wires, most has been cleaned up but there are still a few loose ends I noticed.

The tach was not working today and neither was the tilt guage. In addition, I had a safety kill switch added I checked this also. My first thoughts were electrical but I'm not ruling out a fuel problem such as maybe water in the fuel.

Thanks,

Don
Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

THAT'S 4 MONTH'S PLUSS OF OLD GAS ....Sound's Like Fuel Problem, Check The Filter. Also You Shoould Drain Gas Outof Tank And Start With Some Fresh High Octane "91" + Just To Clean Thing's Out . That Would Be The First And Cheapest Way To Go .
Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

It could be starving??
Old 07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

I agree with everyone I would replace the water seperating fuel filter first after trying to drain the tank for a fresh fill up.

I would also make sure the fuel tank vent is clear, sometimes a spider or some other crud can clog the vent or vent line causing a vacuum whenever there is a higher fuel demand.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

I use the stabil if the boat sits for over two weeks.

Don't feel bad about the boat. I bought mine in Dec the same way. I've had it out 4 weekends and its been in the shop 4 times. Sometimes thats just part of it.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Gold Member

I would have a proffesional check your boat out. You might be knocking your pistons without ever knowing it. Have that person check all your rigging as well as your fuel delivery.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

What kinda power?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Check The Fuel in TheTank

Don ,
I had the same problem a few years back with it and water had gotten in thru the overflow vent. Under the back seat is a inspection cover to get to the Tank, First change the water seperator, pour the gas in something clear to see if there is gas in it or full of water. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Oldracer
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave..I'll pass that along to my mechanic....I almost called to see if that had been a previous quirck but didn't want to bother you. We spent about a month going through the boat...general service...detailing...graphics..stereo...and adding a few safety items. Did a sea trial late April but had a soelinoid out on a K Plane.....in short my Dad had the same ailment as yours did, flew home to check on him...went in the hospital got stuck home for two months and finally lost him. Anyways, Friday was the first time I've had to check it out...trying to get the gremlins worked out and some helm time before taking people out.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered

I think I've about had it. Spent $600 yesterday on parts went everywhere. Mechanic calls at 7:30 in the hospital, another weekend ruined. Been in the shop for the last 2 weeks, fuel pump and the gaskets in the exhaust risers were bad. Thought about selling but rather than take my losses I think it would be more satisfying to take a chainsaw or AK47 to this one. Be a good one for youtube. Still havent been on the water.

Quick Reply: Engine Shutting Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.