Hanging In The Balance >

Hanging In The Balance

Notices

Hanging In The Balance

Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Dan
Thanks for the feedback - I love those LS3 Marine Motors...

Gonna have to go look at the new TS @ Ducky's ... how long does it take if you order a new boat? I would guess 700HP in a TS would get ya into the Mid to Upper 80's if they a seeing almost 80 mph with a single 525?

Just curious - So I need 700 Ponies in a nice single - to get the hull moving?

I bet a 700 with the NXT and a Box would be cool... hmmm.

Decisions - more research...

Doc of the Bay
My Pantera has run 81.6 with me driving and I am new to the sport. Single 710hp. JO said it would run 85-86 if I worked my prop and shed some fuel/weight. I am sure with him driving it would be alot easier too lol. My boat is not a pleasure version however so #'s may be different than on a similarly powered pleasure version.

Jo would be able to give you a more accurate measurement for sure as far as the new hull is concerned.

If you are thinking new you need to talk to JO!!!

They are great guys and very helpful.

p.s. Are you looking for a strictly pleasure boat? If not, a twin staggered Raylar 550hp small block T/S boat might be a neat option with no cabin or half cabin and a race bolster setup to keep you safe. Not sure what your taste is but I am sure that thing would be a rocket

700NXT T/S would be really cool too (again, you are going to have to talk to Jo about how fast it would be, this package hasnt been used to power many single engines I dont think and I am pretty sure Pantera hasnt done one yet)

Anyhow best of luck, I have had a great experience owning my Pantera for one year and get many looks and compliments from guys with much bigger faster and more $$ boats!

Adam.

Last edited by ar15meister; 12-02-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ar15meister
Anyhow best of luck, I have had a great experience owning my Pantera for one year and get many looks and compliments from guys with much bigger faster and more $$ boats!
Adam.
Ditto on Adam's comments and I too really like the way the single rides, handles, trailers and sips fuel at cruise. The best part of all is easy access to the engine for any work or maintenance.

I also have had all kinds of nice comments everywhere we go with the boat and including all my old Cig TopGun friends while they were on board for a day with us. In fact, some friends (older couple) that used to run a 47 Black Thunder with triple 700's were were very impressed with my 28 single, especially blowing through the big slop under the Blue Water bridge. It was much better than they ever expected.

Great boat, awesome manufacturer support even on a used purchase. Remember the future is all about "lighter with more efficiency" for everything ... boats/cars/bikes everything.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeb4
Remember the future is all about "lighter with more efficiency" for everything ... boats/cars/bikes everything.
That's why you 2 run light layup no cabin, no frills boats.

Sure 700hp on a bravo... that's a whole nother story.

My $0.02, on a new build twin 450-500hp sbc's would be nice.
A pair of nice sbc's would cost about the same as a single 700. And could run B1s, not XRs. They'd be mild compared to a 700hp NA or SC.
But not the kind of room to work on twins... but who's torquing the wrenchs... are you doc?
A pr of 450s in a no cabin/no frill 28SR should get you 90mph.
Oh yea... twin 450hp should be cheaper to insure than a 700hp single.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Registered

Mike has a backseat and a cabin!! Frills......

Storm is right about the SBC's. I like that idea. staggered with race cockpit. Spending other peoples money is fun.

Also a good point about who is turning the wrenches Storm. In a staggered configuration, if Jo/Pepe even thought that would work well would provide some more room for wrenching as well.

And 700hp to a bravo is sketchy but my IMCO holds up, so far. Did pretty good for previous owner as well and the boat used to have a HUGE blower motor in it and ran 97mph in salt apparently...
Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prior to 1994 mostly every 28' delivered were powered by twin big blocks.There have been plenty delivered in the last couple of years with twin 6.2 MPI - 320 HP, 496 Mag , 496 HO , twin 500 EFI , and even with twin 525 EFI's.

Here in South Florida most customers opt to go with twins.Once Mercruiser started to offer the HP 450 , 500 HP, 500 EFI, back in the early to mid 90s we started to put the 28' model together with a single engine package with speeds close to 70 MPH.

I think the single and the twin engine version both work well you just trim and tab them differently.

It all depends on what you are looking for performance, if you run mainly offshore or close to shore, etc. etc.

JO
Attached Thumbnails Hanging In The Balance-sonny-525-efi.jpg  

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 12-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget about this option. 600 hp in 2 motors, better fuel economy than a higher hp big block, less weight than twin SBC's or BBC's (and about the same as a single), and you can buy the pair for less than $35k.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
I learn so much from this guy. I would have thought that the hull, x dim, balance, and whether a hull is a hook or a rocker would have also played into which boats may porpoise. Huh.
Have you ever been in a 28 pantera with twins? On the subject of 28 pantera single vs twin - do you have anything to add or not? Of do you just aim to piss me off? Don't you have a thread dedicated to that already?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Have you ever been in a 28 pantera with twins?
Nope.

On the subject of 28 pantera single vs twin - do you have anything to add or not?
I like twins. Thank you for asking. I like Panteras too. The combination would probably be delightful.

Of do you just aim to piss me off?
Nah. That will happen to you automatically without any assistance from me. My aim was to suggest to our younger folks reading along that perhaps there was more involved in porpoising than that.

Don't you have a thread dedicated to that already?
Nope. I don't.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of do you just aim to piss me off?
Originally Posted by fund razor
Nah. That will happen to you automatically without any assistance from me.
Nudge...
Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr Dan, I can see why you are hanging on to that 22. Very sweet combination with that power. You will have some tough decisions to make on power for a new 28TS. There are some great options to choose from.
Annapolis is where I first fell in love with Donzi's when I was a kid. Great place to boat.
Keep us posted on your decisions!
Greg

Quick Reply: Hanging In The Balance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.