running again >

running again

Notices

running again

Old 08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running again

I recently purchased LM's 24 with twin outboards and as some may know cracked a mid on the maiden voyage.....
So after some wrenching and a new mid and lower I finally got to take it out and have some fun.
I spent about a week out on LG and as most passed along it is def a drivers boat. It took about a day to get used to the OB's and learning what order to trim drives / tabs to avoid porpoising.
The boat seems to require excessive ammt of tabs to run at lower speeds~40, and can never really have them completely up unless running WOT. If the tabs are not down ~3/4 of the way it is impossible to avoid porpoising. Obv this causes redic ammt of drag so the motors have to run much higher just to push the boat at the lower speed. I am thinking moving to larger tabs like 380s to help but I also do not know what really causes it. I am running mercury mirage plus props which have alot of bow lift and I'm not sure if maybe it is too much? I stuffed one of my brothers way in the bow and ran the boat with little difference so I don't think I can solve it with moving batteries or anything.
Anyone have thoughts on what direction to go???
love the boat hate the porpoising....
-Dave

also I'll try to get some pics up, and you can note the distinct wake it makes with the tabs dragging lol....
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 139 Likes on 61 Posts

Your brother is quite the trooper!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try standard mirage, not plus, worked for my SOB, not sure about twins, you have a LOT of wight hanging way back, gonna be hard to cure.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleavers??? Not sure what size props you're running. If you can find a set of TRS thru hub cleavers I bet it will settle the boat down. Won't be as fast on top but I bet you'd get from point A to point B alot faster in a chop than with the mirages.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Hydromotives are supposed to add a lot of stern lift without the sharp edged blades of cleavers. Might be worth a try ...... I have had really good luck with used stock props and reselling them if they don't work out for the same dollars or better. Not a bad way to test out options - I think labbing is more particular to a specific boat however and not sure used labbed props are the best use of time and money.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you send me a current picture of your transom ? I would like to see the set up the boat has now.

Email me at [email protected]

I will try to help once I see what you got. Also make sure the Bracket is not filled with water since that would add alot of weight where you do not want it. There should be a plug on the bottom of the bracket. Are the props spinning In or Out ?

That 24' handled perfect when I tested it back in 1993 - 1994 when new.

Regards,

JO
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered

Hello David,

Got your picture. Your main problem is that you are turning your props " IN ". You will want to turn them "out". Between the props turning "in" and running 3 blade Mirage props which are known for bow lift you are going to have a huge amount of bow lift.

If you are bringing the boat down to Florida this Winter you are more than welcome to stop by Pantera and we will go and run the boat together and dial it in. If not I may be in Lake George for the October Poker Run.

Regards,

JO

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 08-13-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

I'll swap them before I go out next time, I also plan to pickup a pair of hydromotive quad IV's and try them out. I'll be at the LG get together so hopefully we can meet up.
Thanks allot for the input
Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

Do 1 change at a time. Turns the props "out" first with the same 3 blade Mirage props so you can compare. Then you can play with a few other props.

We delivered a few new 24's back in 2002- 2003 with twin 225 HP Mercury Promax and I ran 4 blade Bravo 1 props and they seem to work well.

Hopefully we can meet in Lake George. Will go for a run together !

Regards,

JO

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 08-13-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

Hey Dave, I have a 24 with a pair of Yammy's on an SMI bracket (Mike's old boat). I don't have jackplates but otherwise a somewhat similar setup. Jo's the one who actually knows what he's talking about but anytime you want to compare notes/test results, feel free to give me a shout. My email is PAI_Racing "at" hotmail.com.

My bracket was filling up with water and sealing it up (silicone around the plug and inspection plates) made a big difference.

Good luck,

Sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.