X-dimension on 24 Sport >

X-dimension on 24 Sport

Notices

X-dimension on 24 Sport

Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-dimension on 24 Sport

Have new 496 stroker in a 1989 24 sport. Builder says engine should have 525 HP. Engine is running strong and has a lot of power. I am maxing out at about 4,800-4,900 RPMs and am at about 73 MPH. Good bit of trim. I can trim more, but boat gets very lose and one of my trim tab pumps needs replaced, so not able to stabilize the boat at this time. Can go up to 5,300 RPMs. Right now I am running a 25 pitch Mirrage plus. have a 26 pitch 4 blade bravo I too, but have not run it this year.

Will replace trim tab pump this winter, but want to see if I should mess with the X-Dimension at all. Have a Bravo I drive on there now. Full hydraulic steering, big tabs, etc.

Boat is on a lift, but I am going to try to get my existing x-dimension this weekend. Any feedback regarding what the best set up would be. This boat was not originally rigged by Pantera, so not sure who set the x-dimension.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm at 17.25". I think Jo said the Army raceboat was set at 18". I would say anywhere from 17-18" should be good for all around performance. You could go higher for more top-speed but I think the trade off would be rough water handling.

A quick way to measure your X if you have a Bravo is measure to the bottom of the transom assembly and add 9.25". Then if you want to know your prop shaft depth you can subtract that number from 21.8125".
Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered

Also, you may be able to get your trim tab pump fixed. I took mine to a "good old boy" that is semi-retired and he found a broken wire on an armature. Two days and like $30 later I was up and running.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have more to gain with lab finishing the mirage plus or Bravo 1 props than upping the X from 17 to 18.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

I agree probably not much to gain raising from 17" to 18". But if you're at 14" or 15" it would be worth looking at raising the prop shaft. Personally I would look at a shortie if that is the case.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 08-31-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Yea, just checking on where I am set up. Hoping it is within limits, so don't need to do anything but deal with the prop, etc. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Courtholl
Yea, just checking on where I am set up. Hoping it is within limits, so don't need to do anything but deal with the prop, etc. Thanks for the feedback.
FYI- the only Bravo prop I liked on my boat was a Bravo worked by BBlades for more bow lift. I tried a couple stock Bravos and hated how they handled.

Standard Mirage was a very fast prop on my boat but would ventilate getting on plane and in corners, and cruise was bad. But at WFO it was a great prop.

After trying several props I now run a Rev4 or Turbo Lightning.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

I just took some measurements. It is on a lift, so was in kayak floating around. I am assuming the measurement from the bottom of the boat is to the actual mounting plat of the outdrive and not the 1.5 inch composite/plastic box mounted on the bottom for the trim hydraulics? Roughly, I am at 16.75" I will have to take better measurements when it is on the trailer, but seems like I am on the lower end of placement.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Courtholl
I just took some measurements. It is on a lift, so was in kayak floating around. I am assuming the measurement from the bottom of the boat is to the actual mounting plat of the outdrive and not the 1.5 inch composite/plastic box mounted on the bottom for the trim hydraulics? Roughly, I am at 16.75" I will have to take better measurements when it is on the trailer, but seems like I am on the lower end of placement.
Yes you got it, measure to the bottom of the actual plate.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

That would put your propshaft about 5" under the boat which isn't super deep.

I would get the pump fixed for your trim tab so you can hang it out and see what it will do. I know I have to use my tabs on my 24!