Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts >

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Notices

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Old 01-15-2015, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

with swim platforms it isn't so bad cuz drive is partway under, but that prop never completely stops spinning. picture a giant waving a big 3 blade knife around 1 foot from your legs. only he is being nice and doing it slowly...
Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

note to self. avoid chum thing. turn off. sleep well. even if you need a tow in.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Registered

we are having issues getting the boat cleats to shine up so want to replace them with stainless to match the rail if possible. does anyone have a clue what manufacture were used back in the 70's as we have holes in the boat that i want to match of course.
russell
Old 01-23-2015, 08:05 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hard to tell what you have w/o pictures.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

My cleats from my '77' were chrome plated brass. I believe they were cast with "chile" on the bottom.
Like yours, mine too were tarnished.
I bought some stainless steel cleats somewhere on the net that were very close visually but the mounting holes were about 3/8" removed from the original locations.

Your best bet is to measure up your mounting holes and then try to match those dimensions up with something available today.

I wasn't concerned with moving my mounting holes as I was refinishing the entire hull so I didn't exhaust all avenues trying to locate cleats match my exsisting layout. I only needed something visually close.

Hope this helps,
Rob
Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

thanks chaps, i have gone through the web and have found what i have but in alloy not stainless. they seem to be called YS fitting. but i dont know what that means.
YS7109A
YS110C
YS109B

http://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/item_...id=145&id=1044
http://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/item_...id=145&id=1039
Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Registered

i was surfing pantera pics the other day. saw this red SE. had RED ROAR on the side. i wonder where you got your user name? kind of neat that your boat is one of the ones shows up when googleing panteras.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Rob you were lucky being able to choose where to go again but we arent painting the boat here so i dont have any choice for the cleats. i might have got lucky and have some on the way that arent polished but that is the least of my issues.

Derek, yes that is our boat or at least it was about 8 years and was taken in France. The owner towed it all the way from the UK took it out, had it airborne in some rough sea and didnt get off it quick enough and it let go in a nasty fashion. it has never run since then.it stayed dead in France for a few years then came back to the UK and was parked up for another 6 before we bought it off him as he was never going to be excited enough to do anything about it.
as usual i guess, it didnt look too bad when we bought it but the closer we looked as it started to come apart, yes you guessed it, the worse it was looking.
still, water under the bridge as we have just had our momentous moment where we have FINALLY stopped going backwards and turned the corner. a different feeling.
We now hope to get her back in the water this year and another Pantera rescued and in Europe and i have never seen another old one.
i assume this was the picture you saw on google?

this is a picture of the engine. strange looking thing and doesnt look as pretty as some of what i have seen on here. no big chromey pipework. oddly this is all i have ever seen of the engine is a picture and this week is when i go and find the shed it is in, strip and sort it and hopefully some time soon, a have champagne re-union of the pair.

i havent a clue if this engine is what they used to look like back in the day or not. anyone got a clue ??
russell

Last edited by Red Roar; 01-24-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 AM
Registered

yes that was the pic.takes you to a page looks like an old sale ad. 7 pics of the boat. the motor is a bit smallish for that boat. as long as it is dead, you might want to consider going larger. you have the correct cut out in the transom for a bravo drive. best starting point for that conversion is a neglected 454-bravo boat some idiot didn't protect from the elements and has a frozen motor and shot interior. somewhere between way under market value and free. much easier than locating every part and disassembling it is a map for reassembly...
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 AM
Registered

when you say small for the boat, what was in a 24 then ?. all i know is that the engine is/was a 5.7 chevy and it has a volvo 280 leg on it.
is that wrong then ?
what should it have been ?

if i changed to something bigger then am i into a new gearbox, mounts, manifolds etc as i am looking to just have a fun boat, i am not entering races or anything of the sort.
i am not sure what a bravo boat is but i am in the UK an this boat is a long way from home. we cant get boats or parts so easy here. this might be the only 24 in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.