Need Prop Advice

Notices

Need Prop Advice

Old 05-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Prop Advice

With the new engine in and running, I'd like to improve the overall performance of the boat.

I was running a 29P Mirage Plus, but it seemed to blow out often. It also seem to slip a lot while underway. I tried a 28P four blade Hydormotive yesterday, seemed much better.

From experience what is the best prop for the 24 Sport with a Bravo 1, 1.50 Gears, 640 HP. I'd like decent excelleration, good handling and moderate top speed. I know there are trade offs, so top speed isn't the most important item.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Kirk, did you stop by George and pick up my 30 bravo 1 to try?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Not yet Steve. I cleaned the boat and took it for a spin late evening, Baker had a 28 Hydromotive at his shop I tried but ran out of lake on Bluff. I was going to call George this AM but the weather was too bad to try it.

The 28 was OK, but I think it left alot of top end out. Your 30 would probably work good. I'll try this week to catch George at the shop and try the 28 and your 30 on Lake Marie.

When are you getting your boat out?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running a nosecone? It can load the prop better but you Must have external steering before adding one. with 650 you must be in the 90's , at that speed a cone may help I have had good luck with the Hydromotive cone. Good Luck. Ironman.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last Year I tried them all on my Pantera. Jo told me to use a Bravo I and he was right. It was about 2mph slower than a Mirage but heads above overall. It will not slip and the acceleration will be awesome.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Banned
Gold Member

I have an opportunity to try a Lab Finished 30P Bravo this week, I'm just wondering if it will provide too much top end speed and sacrifice low - mid range performance.

Hopefuly Jo will chime in here, I'm sure he has set up 24's with 600+ HP before.

Thanks for the input. Its nice talk about props and running instead of the engine problems I was having!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I pretty sure the Bravo 1 will be your best bet for what you are trying to achieve. But try it all, it can't hurt.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Which is better for a 24 Pantera? Bow or Stearn lift?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi kirk,

Go ahead and try a 30 pitch Bravo 1 4 blade.I have always had good luck on the 24s with 3 blade Mirages.The 4 blades work good when you have a real agressive drive height.I set the 24s with a real aggresive drive height for a 3 blade Mirage prop.With a 4 blade you can normally go up another inch higher on the drive.

The 24s like either a Mirage or a Bravo 1 4 blade since the bottom does not have alot of rocker in it like the 28 model.You will want some bow lift while running at high speeds.The 4 blade prop will give you more lean than the 3 blade since the prop has more diameter and more bite. The 24 remember has a 7 foot beam compared to 8 foot on the 28.

If you want more acceleration and better cruise speed then go with the 4 blade Bravo 1. If you want more top speed then go for a 3 blade Mirage.How much RPM are you turning the 29 3 blade now at WOT ?

The 4 blade will require more trim at WOT to get your top speed than the 3 blade Mirage.

The Hydromotives are fast but are cleaver style designed with a large Diameter and put to much transom lift on the 24.In rough water they work out fine but in calm conditions it puts to much transom lift on the boat.

Let me know how the 30 pitch Bravo 1 works out for you.

Make sure you put on a kill switch and a jacket while running fast.

Regards,

JO
Old 05-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Thanks for the input Jo. I liked the 3 blade Mirage but it seems to slip or blow out often. I hope to try the 30P Bravo in the next day or so.

Did you see my new panel I made? Not that the factory doesn't do a great job, its just that the previous owner let a shop butcher it and I thought it deserved to look nice again!!