My X Dimension? >

My X Dimension?

Notices

My X Dimension?

Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 957 Posts

On my 28 I have to run the left tab (@4 1/2 on the indicator)level with the bottom at cruise speeds. This is with equal weight on each side of the boat. Once I trim up and get above 50mph, both tabs are all the way up. The tabs are mounted a full inch above the bottom and dropping them down half way to 4 1/2 just gets them to grab.

Do you have dual batteries???? If so, move them both to the starboard side. I did this on my 24 Outlaw and it helped. I'm thinking about doing it on my 28 also.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only run 1 battery on the starboard side and need no tabs when running alone and it's very level. I prefer the 4 blades for the calm to moderate and 3's in the rough the 3 does not throw the boat around as much on re-entry and launch and runs very well at neutral to slightly positive trim. The 4 is a better all around prop it just takes a little more work to go fast in the rough stuff.I have been using only the 4 for a while now. I have no steering pull with the full hyd. steering no matter what prop I run. good luck..
Old 08-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironman,

What props are you runnig and what are your speeds & RPMs? You have a 24' I assume. What horsepower?
Old 08-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bravo 1 26"pitch at 5300 is consistant high 70's with a 500hp, full fuel and three aboard. however, my boat is older and heavier than yours and the TRS with the transmission, fresh water, and altitude all contribute to slow the boat down. I think the boat would run as Jo claimes a new one with hp500, 82-84 at sea level in salt water with a 28 pitch even with the TRS drive. My other favorite prop is the Hydromotive but it is a 24 and I turn too many r's but I feel it is better on the rough water( has more holding power) because of the 15.5 diameter.
I am thinking that your motor may be running too rich if they dyno'ed it with dyno headers and not the marine manifolds. A few jet sizes can be 600 rpm's easily. Also I put the anchor on the starboard side so I do not need any tab when running to get a level ride. Good luck, Ironman.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Too Much Tab and Drive Full Down

Tried the 29P. Blows out at 3000 RPM like crazy. Once underway though, still had alot of Port tab and had to keep the drive trimmed full down to maintain any control. What is causing me to use so much tab and trim the drive full down?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kirk,

Did you ever have a chance to run the boat after you purchased it from Mark ?? Mark always told me the boat would run straight and I believe 92 MPH on GPS.

Go ahead and check the "trim in limit pin" on the Bravo 1 drive and make sure the drive is going in all the way.The pin can be set to allow the drive to come in further when tucked in all the way.

I have run many many 24s with the same drive height at 17' with 3 blade Mirage props and they all run great.

You will always notice a slight lean to port while getting up on plane with the tabs all the way up on the 24' due to the narrow beam and a single engine. Once up and running they run straight and level.

Also make sure your steering has no air and drive has no play side to side.

I tested your boat when I delivered it with a 7.4 MPI 310 HP Mercruiser in the bay and ocean and it ran perfect.

Did you add anything to the transon, For Example : External water pickup. Send me a transom pic. of your boat if you get a chance.

Stay in touch!!

Regards,

JO
Old 08-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Jo -

Nothing on the boat has changed except I added a Smirek drive shower and rebuilt the motor. No additional pick ups nothing added to change the balance of the boat.

I just can't understand why I need to have so much Port Tab and the drive trimmed full down to drive the boat under control. With the port tab down, if I raise the drive the bow really gets loose and starts chine walking.

I have a hydraulic steering helm unit I'm putting in soon, but Mark didn't have a hard time at all with the boat, so either I've changed something that I'm not aware of or I shouldn't be driving a boat!! I may be forced to drag the boat down to you so that a true rigger can find and fix this problem.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default steering problem perhaps?

Make sure the steering is really tight maybe you have air in the system or something. 70+ is typically like going down the interstate at 70+ in a Porsche even on 2 footrers. When the trim is neutral or up the left heel is greatly reduced.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned
Gold Member

I don't know about the air, I've bled the system by turning the wheel back and forth several times all appears well. Its not theat the boat pivots to the left, it actaually rolls to the left so I don't believe its steering.

I am picking up a full hydraulic unit next week. i won't get it in for a few weeks though.

The previous owner didn't have this problem with the semi hydraulic set up though!?!?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 957 Posts

If you are getting excessive bow lift, then try a hydromotive prop. They are a sternlifting prop. Also, a shorty drive will lessen the bow lift.
A mirage plus gives about the most bow lift of any of the props.

It almost sounds too me though that that the bow is down and the boat is bow steering and plowing