My X Dimension?

Notices

My X Dimension?

Old 07-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My X Dimension?

I measured the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the gimble housing and it measures 8" exactly. If I am correct, that means my X dimension is 17- 1/4" right? What is everyone else running for an X on the 24 ??

I am very pleased with the Bravo 1 28P and would like to get one labbed and tweeked for optimum performance. Going out for a few "test" runs to get true GPS speed @ RPM info.

I'm sure the prop shops will want all of the above info to work the prop properly.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Kirk,

We cut the drive height on the 24 model at 17' for Bravo 1 drives for many years now.Did you change to a right hand rotation on the 28 Bravo 1 ???

Regards,

JO
Old 07-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Yes Jo, finally running the right way!!! Much better handling. I wasn't able to max it out today, too many boats on our lakes. Maybe tomorrow. Big difference in hole shot and overall control though. I'll check out the numbers tomorrow am, then have the prop labbed for a few more RPM/MPH.

I tried to match the gel coat to fix a coulpe little dings, having a hard time. Do you have the same color gelcoat that my boat was laid up in? I'd like to get some. The boat looks awesome, somebody asked me if if it was new today!!

I'm going to LOTO for the shootout. Going to meet up with Von Bongo and check out his boat, my wife loves it and has given me the green light!!!

Thanks for you help (again)!! Say hello to Linda and Pepe!!

Kirk
Old 07-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jo, Has anyone tried 18" or 19" on the 24' It seems like the Cavitation plate would only be 2.5" above the bottom with a bravo at 17" which would end up the same as my TRS at 18"?
Old 07-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Registered

Default pretty close

When I measured bottom of hull to bottom of gimbal, I got 8 7/16". So that should put me at 17 11/16". Jo said that when he built my boat for the original owner, he put a little higher X on it. I am hoping to try a 1/2" spacer on it this year. I just don't want to drop the $400 on buying a new one that may or may not make a difference since I just had to replace my drive. But the good news is a B&M 174 just showed up on the front porch Friday so it looks like I will be buying another prop anyway. Maybe I'll only have to write one check for both (easier to explain to the wife).

Last edited by duunoit; 07-20-2003 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Has anyone tried a lower X dimension? I can't seem to get my boat dialed in. i'm running only 4650 RPM WOT with a 28P Bravo 1. I should be able to spin that blade much faster shouldn't I?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kirk,

You will not want to lower the X dimension from where it is at.We cut the drives on all the 24s at 17' for many years now on race and pleasure 24s.The customer that owned your boat originally was running I believe 92 MPH with 600 HP on GPS.He was turning a 29 Mirage plus 3 blade.I get 82-84 MPH with a stock 500 EFI Mercruiser package spinning a 28 Bravo 1 on the limiter ( 5350 ) or a 30 pitch 4 blade at 5000-5100 RPM.

I would say make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly to open at WOT. Also make sure the drive you are turning is a 1:50 gear ratio.Go ahead and try running a 26 to see if your RPM increases to 5000 RPM or more.Check ignition, fuel on the motor also.

Bottom line is if you have over 600 HP you should be running over 90 MPH.We have delivered many 24s with big power and it sounds to me you have a motor issue or drive gear ratio that is not a 1:50 and not turning up enough RPM.

The customer that owned your boat previously had a 7.4 MPI 310 HP Mercruiser package that we put in with a 23 mirage 3 blade and would run 66-68 MPH and decided to add the Pro Charger and additional work to the motor to get it over 600 HP.Did you do anything else since to the motor ??

Let me know.

JO
Old 08-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Throttle goes wide open. I am draging the left tab almost 3/4 down just to trim the boat straight. Would this cause that much load to limit the RPM to 4650? That doesnt seem right to me.

Why do I have to drop the left tab so much to offset the torque?

Last edited by Elite Marine; 08-10-2003 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dragging that flipper would have a lot to do with it, I do not know why the torque is so bad. I run a little left tab on the 28 at 40-45 but once over that I don't need it. And when I say a little I mean like 1 notch at the most If I ran it with one 3/4 down on one side it would be a scary ride I think
Old 08-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Banned
Gold Member

The previous owner agrees and told me thats why he never ran the Bravo 1 props with this much HP/Torques on the narrow beam it pulls too much. I have the port tab down and I still need to steer a little left to counter the prop torque. He said he always ran 3 blade priops in the higher pitch only. Saved the 4 blade for lower pitches on rough water days.

I'll try a Mirage plus 29 this week. Although it tends to blow out, maybe i can get more RPM once I'm clean and steering straight!!

Any other ideas/input??

Quick Reply: My X Dimension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.