Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Wonder

No wonder I couldn't spin a decent pitched prop:
Old 09-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Actually these just came off adn i caught it right away, but on the port side of the motor, one of the rockers looks like it had been off of the valve for a long time.

Don't know what caused this, but I do know that I was finally able to break 4900 RPM by running a 24P Bravo, pretty weak for a 650 HP motor. I think I was running on 7 cylinders since installing the new motor!!

Looks like me and Mr. Engine Builder are going to have a long conversation tomorrow!!

Only took 1-1/2 hour to pull the motor. Great time to install the full hydraulic steering and my new XZ drive.

What would cause the rockers to come off of the valves like this?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

When I tighten rockers with the locks, I always tighten them half a turn past 0 lash then tighten the allen set screw, then tighten the nut another 1/8 or so to really get them tight.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Both have great advice, but they didn't come loose. They cracked the pushrod guides and then came off the valve stems. I needed a huge breaker bar just to get them loose!!

Atleast i found my horespower problem. Now lets see if the builder will stand behind the engine!!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

KIRK INVEST $695.00 ON A JESEL SET UP THIS WONT HAPPEN,JESEL DOESNT USE GUIDE PLATES.IF YOU WANT LET ME KNOW WHAT HEADS YOU HAVE AND I CAN GET YOU THE PART NUMBER FOR YOU.REGARDS ALBERT
Old 09-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Albert -

I have Dart Iron Eagle heads. Are the Jessel ok for high RPMs? I've head that they are good for drag motors but rough on endurance motors?

What is the part number and are they running good on your motor.

Thanks,

Kirk
Old 09-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Goumada P5-38
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crane Gold race

Kirk ,
Crane Gold rockers are fine as long as you don't have excessive valve spring (open ) pressures . Under 500
lbs open pressure is fine . Jesels are a beautiful piece , but are probably not required .
As far as the guide plates cracking , there may be a mechanical clearance problem , or the guide plates were just **** . The GM guide plates work fine and will last forever .
Also , when adjusting the lash for a hydraulic cam , preload the lifters by giving a 1/4 turn , then run the engine . If you do not hear any lifter clicking ( not enough preload ) you will be fine . Excessive preload (1/2 turn or more ) can and will hold tyhe valve off its seat at wide open throttle ( due to lhydraulic lifter pumpup) .
You may also want to check to be sure the pushrod length is correct - This can be done by viewing the wear pattern on the tip of the valve stem - This is where the roller of the rocker arm contacts the valve stem . The wear mark should be centered on the valve tip .

Good luck !

Last edited by Jmemoli; 09-11-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Default KIRK

JESEL PHONE NUMBER 732-901-1800 CALL THEM AND TELL THEM DIRECT WHAT YOU HAVE AND ASK FOR THE SPORTMANS SERIES ROCKERS.WHEN CALLING ALSO HAVE THEM INCLUDE A PUSHROD CHECKER THIS WILL LET YOU KNOW YOUR PUSHROD LENGHT.THE WHY I DO THIS IS I GET A BLACK MARKER AND MARK THE TOP OF THE VALVE TIP TO WHERE THE ROLLER ROCKER MAKES CONTACT WITH VALVE AND YOU SET YOUR LASH AND ROTATE THE ENGINE A FEW TIMES REMOVE THE ROLLER ROCKERS AND YOU WILL SEE THE MARK LEFT ON TOP OF THE VALVE,IT SHOULD BE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE VALVE TIP,IF NOT THEN THAT IS WHY YOU NEED A PUSHROD CHECKER YOU CAN ADJUST IT UNTILL YOU REACH THE CORRECT HEIGHT AND WHEN YOU DO THEN YOU MEASURE THE PUSHROD LENGHT AND THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY.REMEMBER THE MARK HAS TO BE LEFTT ON THE MIDDLE THE VALVE BEFORE YOUR DONE.
I KNOW THIS SEEMS HARD BUT IT REALLY ISNT,GIVE ME A CALL IF YOU LIKE AND I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH IT.
ALBERT 305.882.7000 EXT 3201