Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
Props on the 28... >

Props on the 28...

Notices

Props on the 28...

Old 11-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the trim rings on the Hyrdos. Did they say how much top end would be lost. I have a 30' Cig. 2 500 E.F.I.s, 28 Hydros, 15 1/4, 5100 r.p.m.s, 81.2 g.p.s, BUT what a planing nightmare. If its rough, forget it. Ordered the rings, but they were very evasive about top end loss, thus have not installed yet. Do you buy fast props, that need to be modified only to end up where you started? I am thinking about going back to the Mercs. but lab finishing., rather than keep playing with the Hydros. Please advise if anyone has a figure as to top end loss. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I ran 84 all day today spanking a few locals But I only got one motor /that must be my problem
Old 11-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That was kinda smart ass just kiding/ im in the neverending serch for more mph / have you all tryed sanding your tabs .Or bottom /straighten it sharpen your props ? sharpen your skeg s I giving valuable stuf here
Old 11-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just ain't worth it!

Originally posted by Cigarette 30
If its rough, forget it. Ordered the rings, but they were very evasive about top end loss, thus have not installed yet. Do you buy fast props, that need to be modified only to end up where you started? I am thinking about going back to the Mercs. but lab finishing., rather than keep playing with the Hydros. Please advise if anyone has a figure as to top end loss. Thanks.
We ran them this weekend.
The rings made a huge difference in their ability to plane, but I could still blow them out if I wasn't paying total attention, and there was a time where it was rough and I couldn't plane out.
A total waste if you ask me.
Now, on the other hand, this boat runs a lot flatter when it's running. We ran it pretty good through the Key West Harbor at 77+ 4 times in a row. 2 guys 100 gallons fuel.
I put the 26 B1s back on on Sunday. World of difference planing out. I didn't get to compare the top end in the same place, as the ocean was 5-6' and the women were VERY MAD to say the least.
I'm going to call Hydro to ask how/if we can help this blow out issue.
Half the fun with this Pantera is it's awesome accelleration. What good is it if the props won't bite in???
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 11-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question..why not have a set of 26 or 28 b-1's reworked to 27 and tweak them for more lift? The hydro's will not give you the same midrange as the bravo prop due to the blade design. That is also why they don't plane out well with this boat. Have you called Merc or Houston Prop or someone like that to discuss reworking your old props? I mean all props are generic in their own respects and it would seem to me you take the best basic prop and start tweaking it. I haven't heard of a lot of Pantera's or any non-step boat running many hydromotive props. Wouldn't Jo be sending them out from the factory with Hydro's and defuser rings if that was the optimum prop for your boat? I guess I am just curious as to what could be done to the props on hand to optimize them.

Also the flatter you run the boat, the more hull in the water and more drag isn't there? If you find a prop that lifts the stern better are you off setting the stern lift by making more of the boat ride in the water and thereby not getting any gain in MPH?

Just my some thoughts.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

OK VB, I'm with you here.
Jo told me that the boat should be faster up top with the Hydros. I'd certainly never have bought them if he said not to.
It's no lie that the azz is too heavy on this 28 with twin 502s.
The Hydros let me drive the boat without dragging tab. I'd have to have them down a hair with the B1s...even for running WOT.
I think I'm going to send this set of Hydros down the road.

You'r e right. I need a set of 28 B1s sent to Throttle Up to try to get more azz lift...They probably will need to go back to 27"p.
I wondering if they can work with my 26s...cause I'm about done spending money on props by now..

Level running... yes, more wet hull, not really. I was able to lift the bow with the trim/drives.
954-809-8739
Old 12-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Goumada P5-38
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim ,
Why are you dragging tabs with the B1s' ?
My 28 with B1 28s' ran true - I rarely used the tabs .

JSM

PS : If you want more speed , change the cams - the 502 MPI motors can be easily upgraded to 470 hp with little investment . Comp cams has some good HP500 style cams which can run with low valve spring pressures ( 340 lbs.) Springs , roller rockers , and new timing chains is all you will need .
Old 10-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Props on the 28...

jmemoli...gimme a call 732-539-5882 Bernie
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

so what was the final prop selection ?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Bern-
Did you notice that the original post was from '03??

That baot did fine with 26p B1s..
The Hydros were a bit faster, but other than top speed, they were poor.

Running flat water, you wouldn't need tabs.. But if it was at all bumpy.....then you need to level her out. This is a short boat, with two big blocks side by side.... Ballance baby, ballance.

Those 502s were nothing to get excited about. I can honestly say that I wouldn'tt buy another boat with 502 MPIs..... too much trouble...
954-809-8739

Quick Reply: Props on the 28...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.