Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Northern Michigan fun run count down!!! >

Northern Michigan fun run count down!!!

Notices

Northern Michigan fun run count down!!!

Old 03-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Northern Michigan fun run count down!!!

Originally Posted by SunsationalMate
Kaama,
I'm towing 32 Dominator on a Heritage trailer. Have heard the launches on Torch are shallow. And that a few outdrives are lost each year in the stump field! But I' still interested in the sand bar party, etc. Is the party on the 4th or on adjoining July 4th Saturday?.
I have heard the same things about the launches on Torch Lake, but I suppose it would be good to talk to some of the locals up there or someone who is familiar with the launches on Torch, but for now I don't really mind launching in Elk Lake in downtown Elk Rapids.

Last year I went through the stump field with "Perfectmix"/Josh. He's extremely familiar with the waters up there as he grew up around those parts.

Also, to answer your question about the timing of events up there during the 4th of July, I don't really know.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaama,
I'm towing 32 Dominator on a Heritage trailer. Have heard the launches on Torch are shallow. And that a few outdrives are lost each year in the stump field! But I' still interested in the sand bar party, etc. Is the party on the 4th or on adjoining July 4th Saturday?

Otherwise I've been running out of Port Sanilac (or Lexington) to Port Huron and usually hang at Lake Port State Park beach.

My boat name is actually I DOCKED 'ER, but for some reason OSO server won't recognize the [space '] in the name. So I surf as I DOCKED 'ER elsewhere.

I like the name of your boat, you must be a eye doctor?
Richard Golden from D.O.C. has a Cig. that he keeps up here in Charlevoix.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Registered

Kaama,
I'm towing 32 Dominator on a Heritage trailer. Have heard the launches on Torch are shallow. And that a few outdrives are lost each year in the stump field! But I' still interested in the sand bar party, etc. Is the party on the 4th or on adjoining July 4th Saturday?

Otherwise I've been running out of Port Sanilac (or Lexington) to Port Huron and usually hang at Lake Port State Park beach.

My boat name is actually I DOCKED 'ER, but for some reason OSO server won't recognize the [space '] in the name. So I surf as I DOCKED 'ER elsewhere.
Hello SunsationalMate,
That name is cool. If you are interested in the 4th of July
party at Torch give me a shout. I run my 38 PQ up and down all of the lakes with no problem. There are a couple of tricky spots(the infamous stump field) but other than that plenty of water and there are several launches you can use. Depending on if you want to start in Elk Lake or in Torch. Shoot me a PM or give me a call 989-350-8444. I had the pleasure of riding with KAAMA(Mark) last year. We had a blast and good thing he had an extra set of goggles and optional silent choice(earmuffs) His AT is a runner.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Northern Michigan fun run count down!!!

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
Hello SunsationalMate,
That name is cool. If you are interested in the 4th of July
party at Torch give me a shout. I run my 38 PQ up and down all of the lakes with no problem. There are a couple of tricky spots(the infamous stump field) but other than that plenty of water and there are several launches you can use. Depending on if you want to start in Elk Lake or in Torch. Shoot me a PM or give me a call 989-350-8444. I had the pleasure of riding with KAAMA(Mark) last year. We had a blast and good thing he had an extra set of goggles and optional silent choice(earmuffs) His AT is a runner.
I'd like to plan a trip to Torch that weekend ... well would it be the weekend before or after July 4th? Are there marinas with a bathhouse on Torch? Logged your phone number into my PDA for future use; Thanks.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
I like the name of your boat, you must be a eye doctor?
Richard Golden from D.O.C. has a Cig. that he keeps up here in Charlevoix.
Lived at LeHavre in Round Lake for four years. Moved in 1998. Yes, I've seen SMOKE THIS moored next to the bridge for years. Met him once at the local health club up there - he had his nose up-in-air to me ???

May attend Mountain's bash this weekend - no definite plans yet. Wife and I closed Snowflake Loune each of the last four New Years Eve events. Jelly Roll Band rocks.

I'm looking for basic housing on, or just-off Lake Charlevoix. I boat and ride trails (KTM EXC 400) in summer, and ski and snowmobile in winter. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Lived at LeHavre in Round Lake for four years. Moved in 1998. Yes, I've seen SMOKE THIS moored next to the bridge for years. Met him once at the local health club up there - he had his nose up-in-air to me ???

May attend Mountain's bash this weekend - no definite plans yet. Wife and I closed Snowflake Loune each of the last four New Years Eve events. Jelly Roll Band rocks.

I'm looking for basic housing on, or just-off Lake Charlevoix. I boat and ride trails (KTM EXC 400) in summer, and ski and snowmobile in winter. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe his nose was up in the air because he needed new glasses.

If your up at Boyne this weekend give me a call 231-437-0740 I'm on the National Ski Patrol there. There will be a couple of other OSO members there as well ( Wrinkleface & YZbert ) I think we are going to meet up for lunch.

I also ride (EXC 300) we mainly ride the Tomahawk loops and Drummound Island.
Hope to meet ya this weekend, JB
Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
Maybe his nose was up in the air because he needed new glasses.

If your up at Boyne this weekend give me a call 231-437-0740 I'm on the National Ski Patrol there. There will be a couple of other OSO members there as well ( Wrinkleface & YZbert ) I think we are going to meet up for lunch.

I also ride (EXC 300) we mainly ride the Tomahawk loops and Drummound Island.
Hope to meet ya this weekend, JB
Not looking good for me to be at Mountain tomorrow .

Think I've ridden Tomahawk loops, but not Drummound Island. I'm about level 3 rider - can't keep up with the big boys, but I catchup while they rest . I usually ride at the CCC events - usually on Saturday so I can boat on Sunday. Will you be at the Rites of Spring ride in Atlanta?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Who's going to be around the Torch Lake area and their famous "sand bar" for the weekend of the 4th???
ALWAYS!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I'm not real familiar with the water up there quite yet. I'm still learning, but as far as I know there are probably several launches available to launch in, but it will depend on the length of your boat.

My boat is 32' and I like to launch over on Elk Lake in downtown Elk Rapids----however, I can just barely get my boat on/off the trailer there at that particular launch and yet there are still some guys who can launch a 38 footer out of the same launch! I think that depends on how your boat sits on the trailer you have, etc. The launch only goes back so far and so deep---after that there is a little curb to warn you that you are at the end of the lauch before it DROPS OFF. The water is so clear that you can look down in the water and see the end of the launch, etc, otherwise I prbably would never launch there as I need all of the launch pad as it will allow me to use. I have a 3-axle trailer and I'm not exactly sure of what would happen if one of my axles would go past the curb and drop off----and I don't think I really want to find out anytime soon for fear of having to pay a crane fee of sorts to lift it up.

Anyway, I personally like to take the scenic route via Elk Lake, and then I buzz over to Lake Skegemog, and then through the stump field up the Torch River to Torch Lake. There are launches on Torch Lake---I just don't know where they all are or what lengths/depths they will handle. Perhaps some of the guys who read this will chime in who are from up there or are familiar with it all up there.

What make/length of boat do you have?
Kaama, have you ever checked out Whitewater Park? I always launch there and although the docks are short it gets deep pretty fast there. I have a much smaller boat but I've seen some pretty big boats launch there.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Noboat,

No, I am not familiar with Whitewater Park----is that on Torch Lake or Elk Lake? I know of another launching area on Elk Lake and I was going to try and launch there one day, but it was so windy that I didn't want to chance it for the first time...so, I launched from downtown Elk Rapids instead.

Is Whitewater Park the launch area I just described above? Thanks