Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!? >

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Notices
View Poll Results: Does the EBM article speak the truth
Yes
40.63%
No
47.66%
No Opinion
11.72%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Old 11-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

See, I don't think the problem is limited to Poker Runs. I think boaters at large often are out of control. No training, no tests and there are fatalities all over - I can post lots of it, but it would be counter productive. Lack of controls on all boating is the problem, and I think many non boaters are becoming aware of the problems - from news articles etc.. A Poker Run to them looks like what??? Much more of the same? Must be those guys who cause the problems etc. No??

Last edited by nolimits; 11-14-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that safety is a concern and needs to be adressed. I also agree that poker runs are not the only area where safety needs to be strengthed.

If you read the posts and threads on oso, you can hardly go a day where you do not see a boating incident or accident. In fact it is the every day boater and the guys who drink and drive that give all of us a bad rap.

But, the biggest problem with the article is the language and tone in which it was written. If Ron was so concerned about safety he would have tried to arrange this "summit" and then published the results. Instead he published a one sided sarcastic article that fueled the opositions case against poker runs in general.

Unfortunately in the eyes of attorneys and insurance agents, Ron from Extreme Boats Magazine is an expert and his opinion should be taken seriously.

To anyone who has never attended a poker run, this article is enough to horrify sombody into never want to attend another one.

Last edited by animalhouse; 11-14-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said, animalhouse.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Ok ok. If you are right, then what should be done to improve safety? What is the path that gets it done and by who?
I guess the thousands of coast guardsmen,wildlife&fisheries
and marine police are doing nothing.I thought this was what
these organizations spent our tax dollars on.I have attended
poker runs for over 20 years know and have owned some of
the fastest boats attending.The guys I see in my speed level
seem to be the safest!!! 400$ life vest,kill lanyards everyone
seated equipment top notch.
Can we make it safer YES.Can we make DWIs go away sure,
stop producing alcohol.The fact is we will never achieve 100%
perfection.Thats why they call it accidents.Ask someone
at NASA about 100% safe.The risk is the reason we push the
limits.If your scared of death or getting hurt this is not the
sport to be in.I see positive on both sides but lets be careful
of what is published in our own magazines.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
I guess the thousands of coast guardsmen,wildlife&fisheries
and marine police are doing nothing.I thought this was what
these organizations spent our tax dollars on.I have attended
poker runs for over 20 years know and have owned some of
the fastest boats attending.The guys I see in my speed level
seem to be the safest!!! 400$ life vest,kill lanyards everyone
seated equipment top notch.
Can we make it safer YES.Can we make DWIs go away sure,
stop producing alcohol.The fact is we will never achieve 100%
perfection.Thats why they call it accidents.Ask someone
at NASA about 100% safe.The risk is the reason we push the
limits.If your scared of death or getting hurt this is not the
sport to be in.I see positive on both sides but lets be careful
of what is published in our own magazines.
So then there are no problems to be solved. Coast Guard, wildlife, marine police are doing it all, eliminate booze, hang with the guys who have bucks and don't be a sissy. We do the same job as NASA etc. Got it.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by animalhouse
I agree that safety is a concern and needs to be adressed. I also agree that poker runs are not the only area where safety needs to be strengthed.

If you read the posts and threads on oso, you can hardly go a day where you do not see a boating incident or accident. In fact it is the every day boater and the guys who drink and drive that give all of us a bad rap.

But, the biggest problem with the article is the language and tone in which it was written. If Ron was so concerned about safety he would have tried to arrange this "summit" and then published the results. Instead he published a one sided sarcastic article that fueled the opositions case against poker runs in general.

Unfortunately in the eyes of attorneys and insurance agents, Ron from Extreme Boats Magazine is an expert and his opinion should be taken seriously.

To anyone who has never attended a poker run, this article is enough to horrify sombody into never want to attend another one.
You made several really good points and I agree with them.

Just seemed to me Ron surfaced an issue that needs to be addressed. I know I wasn't saying or writting anything. Maybe we like the way he made his point and maybe we didn't. Thats ok. But he did attempt to make the point. If he did damage by alerting attornies and insurance companies maybe in getting their attention he gained credability. If so, hopefully the article he will write in April after the show, will be a winner as his now wider audience will see we can help ourselves.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

APRA - American Poker Runs Association
www.pokerrunsamerica.com
We started the 10 commandments. Long ago.

Thanks to all who sticks by the rules.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 PM

I love the sport of racing and like everyone else thats how I got Involved. I then turned to Poker Runs and became one of the committee members of the NJPPC, we have meetings every month and work on different agendas to keep our Poker Runs the safest in the country. We have certain guide lines every boater will follow and meet. Our Paceboats not only start the run they raise there flags up and slow the pack down when there are slow speeds, sailboat races and any other problems along the route: We have 2 Paceboats in the front and 1 in the rear of every start! The last paceboats have medics aboard for safety. every boat must have life jackets and lanyards on. If a boat is seen without life jackets they are automatically pulled from the run. I am one of the Paceboats and all the years I have been Involved have never had a problem, Heck I was more in danger when I was a patrol boat in the racing circuit! several times had boats run off the course and headed towards me! all I could do at that point was stay in position raise my arms so they can see me and wish the porta potti was a little closer then in the cabin!
I also run with Poker Runs America and they do a great job with safety.
NJPPC and Poker Runs America have classes so most boats run together in the same class.
We have never had a situation with hot dogs wanting to be top dog and most of us run together as a pack (a Poker Run is more fun that way!)
My boat was never the fastest boat and I never felt like she had to be! There are guys that there boats could run 90-100mph in my class but they maintained 60-65 mph. (What Fun is A Poker Run When You Are Running Alone!)
With all that said here is were I see a Problem!
1) Magazines are fueled by Advertisers without them the Magazine will not succeed!
Most Manufactures; Outerlimits, Cigarette, Nor-Tech, Donzi, Fountain, Skater, MTI, Elimnator and Formula are big advertisers in most of boating magazines Including Extreme Magazine and are major Poker Run Sponsors
(What kind of an Impact will this have on them wanting to advertise when the magazine they are paying for has a negative impact on what they sell and promote!)
2) Insurance Company's are always looking for an excuse to raise your rates, they read magazines to.
3) I am in the Industry to sell boats and promote what I love 90% of my market are Performance Boaters looking to enjoy the same, buy a Performance Boat and get involved ( Isn't this how it all started to begin with)
Went to my first boat race ages ago with my Dad fell in love with the sport. My Dad sold his 42ft Owens and bought a 30 Cigarette.
My first Offshore Boat was a 27 Magnum.
But there was something missing, I could get involved by being a Patrol boat or Medic Boat. But I would not risk damaging my boat by racing her.
Poker Runs filled that hole for many boaters and it was not about being the biggest, fastest are loudest boat, It was about all of us getting together and running together in a group. I have made many new friends some as far as Florida and Canada that I would have never met if it wasn't for Poker Runs. I have had my family Involved with my youngest son at 5 and my oldest at 7 years old running with my wife and I on Poker Runs ( If I felt this was not safe I would have never had them with me)
4) Performance Boaters suffer from enough negativity we don't need anymore thrown at us!
5) Like Sharkey stated we had a battle on our hands a few years back with speed limits in NJ (This can just add more fuel to any Organization that has it in for Power Boats)
6) If you look at the figures there are more boat accidents and Deaths that are not remotely involved with Poker Runs or Racing!
Just My Thoughts!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

I think NJPPC is a class act and gets it done and done right. I believe that if you are doing it right, it must make you nuts to have people generalizing. All anything can't be right. I think we need to get everyone educated and on the same page. I just think there are large pockets of places that don't do it right.... The message needs to get out to them.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:28 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
The message needs to get out to them.
Yes,
But it didn't need a negative spin put on it and put in a National magazine to do so.

Now what will EBM do to recover from this impact?

It will be very easy to tell who supported them and who didn't in the next issue or two.

Hold onto this months copy then look who is still advertising with them in the next few issues. That is if you're subscribed.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.