Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Memorial Fun Run for "Flash" & Ann Mineo >

Memorial Fun Run for "Flash" & Ann Mineo

Notices

Memorial Fun Run for "Flash" & Ann Mineo

Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes you write an article because it's simply news worthy. Sometimes you write an article because it is sensational. Sometimes you write an article because it is the right thing to do. This article, is the right thing to do.

On September 2nd, 2006, a tragic accident during the "Big Gun's Poker Run" on Lake Texoma took the lives of Gordon Mineo, 61, his wife Ann ,59, Amy Dawn Lane, 31, and Justin R. Lane, 25, Their God daughter and son-in-law. Also regrettably deceased was Myra L. Gibson, 51, loving wife of Bruce Gibson, 54, who survived the accident with serious injuries.

This tragedy shook up the world of powerboating and Poker Runs [both offshore and inland] and will affect the practices and thoughts of thousands of pleasure boaters touched by the mishap for years to come. The Gibson's (owners of the Nashville Catz) and the Mineo's (owners of Flash Gordon) were emphatic about boating safety and will be remembered as examples of good will and professionalism in the sport we love.

Gordon Mineo was the organizer of the Highroller Poker Run, The Big Guns Poker Run, Hillbilly Hold 'Em, and many other runs and events around the country. His contribution to the sport here on Lake Texoma alone is felt through three generations of boaters. He and Ann's contribution to the sport across this country... immeasurable. There is a vacant spot in our hearts for the awesome whine of those turbines and the big grin of Gordon Mineo as he maneuvered his unmistakeable yellow cat through the boat traffic at Highport Marina. This time of year it is doubly hard to look across the lake and know you will never see the Flash Gordon roaring by again. Sad indeed.

Although Gordon's name is curiously missing from the pages of Marina websites and newsletters that he helped to popularize his friends and family have not forgotten what his presence meant then, and still means today.

Donnie Fulmer was Gordon's go-to man for the "Hillbilly Hold 'Em Poker Run" on Lake Ouachita in Arkansas, and a friend of Gordon and all the Mineo's for years. Dave and Kelly York were also long time friends of Gordon Mineo's and worked closely with him administratively on most of his events. Together these talented people have worked tirelessly to justly memorialize Flash Gordon in the first annual "Flash Gordon Memorial Poker Run" to be held on Lake Ouachita, Arkansas May 18 - 20, 2007.

This event will be held at Mountain Harbor Resort and Spa in Mount Ida, Arkansas on beautiful Lake Ouachita. As a charity event a generous portion of the proceeds will be distributed between The Volunteer Fire Department in Joplin, and the Humane Society. I'm sure Gordon and Ann would be pleased.

News of this event has spread among the boating community and what would normally be a 30-40 boat event is expected to attract a 100 plus boats from the "Superman" MTI to local bass boats.

Donnie and all of us express our deepest gratitude to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Lake Ouichita for their cooperation in permitting this event. Also contributor's such as , Legend Marine Group, Donzi Marine, Cigarette Powerboats, American Signs and Graphics, and many more are helping to make this event one of the season's highlights.

Mr. Fulmer has implemented some of the best ideas in boating safety to help make this one of the safest events I have ever heard of. Of course, life jackets will be mandatory, but Donnie has even more groundbreaking ideas. The boats will be lined up according to power putting the fastest boats up front and the slower boats to the rear eliminating dangerous passes. Each run will also be led by a pace boat. Once all the participants have reached the first leg of the event, then, and only then, will the pace boat restart all entries for the next leg. This will create bountiful comraderie as the faster boats wait for the other entrants to arrive. Everyone will have a chance to meet one another in this relaxed phase of the event. There will also be rescue boats on hand for all legs of the event in the unlikely case they are needed.

To add more excitement to the event and provide a "being there" experience for us unable to attend Boatpix.com is providing a helicopter for the duration of the event.

Camping, RV, and Hotel Accomodations are available at Brady mountain resort, The Crystal Inn, Mount Harbor Resort and the Joplin campgrounds. For more information, contact Donnie Fulmer at 501-804-9084. Registration Friday, 18 May. Poker run starts mid-morning from Mountain Harbor's marina on Saturday, 19th May.

Last edited by marineclean; 04-30-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marineclean
Sometimes you write an article because it's simply news worthy. Sometimes you write an article because it is sensational. Sometimes you write an article because it is the right thing to do. This article, is the right thing to do.

On September 2nd, 2006, a tragic accident during the "Big Gun's Poker Run" on Lake Texoma took the lives of Gordon Mineo, 61, his wife Ann ,59, Amy Dawn Lane, 31, and Justin R. Lane, 25, Their God daughter and son-in-law. Also regrettably deceased was Myra L. Gibson, 51, loving wife of Bruce Gibson, 54, who survived the accident with serious injuries.

This tragedy shook up the world of powerboating and Poker Runs [both offshore and inland] and will affect the practices and thoughts of thousands of pleasure boaters touched by the mishap for years to come. The Gibson's (owners of the Nashville Catz) and the Mineo's (owners of Flash Gordon) were emphatic about boating safety and will be remembered as examples of good will and professionalism in the sport we love.

Gordon Mineo was the organizer of the Highroller Poker Run, The Big Guns Poker Run, Hillbilly Hold 'Em, and many other runs and events around the country. His contribution to the sport here on Lake Texoma alone is felt through three generations of boaters. He and Ann's contribution to the sport across this country... immeasurable. There is a vacant spot in our hearts for the awesome whine of those turbines and the big grin of Gordon Mineo as he maneuvered his unmistakeable yellow cat through the boat traffic at Highport Marina. This time of year it is doubly hard to look across the lake and know you will never see the Flash Gordon roaring by again. Sad indeed.

Although Gordon's name is curiously missing from the pages of Marina websites and newsletters that he helped to popularize his friends and family have not forgotten what his presence meant then, and still means today.

Donnie Fulmer was Gordon's go-to man for the "Hillbilly Hold 'Em Poker Run" on Lake Ouachita in Arkansas, and a friend of Gordon and all the Mineo's for years. Dave and Kelly York were also long time friends of Gordon Mineo's and worked closely with him administratively on most of his events. Together these talented people have worked tirelessly to justly memorialize Flash Gordon in the first annual "Flash Gordon Memorial Poker Run" to be held on Lake Ouachita, Arkansas May 18 - 20, 2007.

This event will be held at Mountain Harbor Resort and Spa in Mount Ida, Arkansas on beautiful Lake Ouachita. As a charity event a generous portion of the proceeds will be distributed between The Volunteer Fire Department in Joplin, and the Humane Society. I'm sure Gordon and Ann would be pleased.

News of this event has spread among the boating community and what would normally be a 30-40 boat event is expected to attract a 100 plus boats from the "Superman" MTI to local bass boats.

Donnie and all of us express our deepest gratitude to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Lake Ouichita for their cooperation in permitting this event. Also contributor's such as , Legend Marine Group, Donzi Marine, Cigarette Powerboats, American Signs and Graphics, and many more are helping to make this event one of the season's highlights.

Mr. Fulmer has implemented some of the best ideas in boating safety to help make this one of the safest events I have ever heard of. Of course, life jackets will be mandatory, but Donnie has even more groundbreaking ideas. The boats will be lined up according to power putting the fastest boats up front and the slower boats to the rear eliminating dangerous passes. Each run will also be led by a pace boat. Once all the participants have reached the first leg of the event, then, and only then, will the pace boat restart all entries for the next leg. This will create bountiful comraderie as the faster boats wait for the other entrants to arrive. Everyone will have a chance to meet one another in this relaxed phase of the event. There will also be rescue boats on hand for all legs of the event in the unlikely case they are needed.

To add more excitement to the event and provide a "being there" experience for us unable to attend Boatpix.com is providing a helicopter for the duration of the event.

Camping, RV, and Hotel Accomodations are available at Brady mountain resort, The Crystal Inn, Mount Harbor Resort and the Joplin campgrounds. For more information, contact Donnie Fulmer at 501-804-9084. Registration Friday, 18 May. Poker run starts mid-morning from Mountain Harbor's marina on Saturday, 19th May.
Nicely Written
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the latest you can register Saturday Morning. I Can't leave until early Sat or late friday to come over. Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Saturday by 10AM. Call me if you are running late or need anything.

Donnie
Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Registered

Saturday by 10AM. Call me if you are running late or need anything.

Donnie
I too will be a Saturday register. Wont be able to leave Dallas until 5-6 friday and that put me at the resort pretty late friday night.

Where is the best place on the road to fuel up before we reach the resort? Coming out 270 from I-30.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IM4A2Z
I too will be a Saturday register. Wont be able to leave Dallas until 5-6 friday and that put me at the resort pretty late friday night.

Where is the best place on the road to fuel up before we reach the resort? Coming out 270 from I-30.
I would get fuel on I-30 before exiting to 270. If you are coming in late most of the locals will be closed. We have 2 good stations at the entrance of Mountain Harbor open between 7AM-9PM if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered

It's about that time. Phones have been ringing off the hook and the weather looks perfect!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Jamie,

Just bought a "house" here in the Mt. Harbor mobile home park. Just got in (it's 10 p.m. Thurs eve). Where can I register for Sat? I've got a 38' Fountain here in the marina at J18, but will be taking it easy as the parents are in town and I don't know the lake. Let me know if we can meet up on Fri, I'll be in the slip all day working on getting the boat ready.

Brad
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

Sad Indeed..............
Thanks man....
Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1stfntn
Jamie,

Just bought a "house" here in the Mt. Harbor mobile home park. Just got in (it's 10 p.m. Thurs eve). Where can I register for Sat? I've got a 38' Fountain here in the marina at J18, but will be taking it easy as the parents are in town and I don't know the lake. Let me know if we can meet up on Fri, I'll be in the slip all day working on getting the boat ready.

Brad
Brad,

You passed me in the parking lot today in front of J Dock.
Yellow Vette, right?
Registration is at the Conference Center across from your dock.
Look for my Suburban & Trailer.

Donnie
Attached Thumbnails Memorial Fun Run for "Flash" & Ann Mineo-s7000244.jpg  

Quick Reply: Memorial Fun Run for "Flash" & Ann Mineo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.