Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Smith Mtn Lake 2007 10th Annual Poker Run! >

Smith Mtn Lake 2007 10th Annual Poker Run!

Notices

Smith Mtn Lake 2007 10th Annual Poker Run!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops wouldn't let me add this:

as chairperson of next years event i'm asking for suggestions, criticisms....one thing I would really like is if we could somehow tie it up with ya'll @ the smlpba...and what do ya'll think of bikes joining in? Yanno..choice of doing the pr on a boat or a bike? Same stops..same prizes....?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dashbery
oops wouldn't let me add this:

as chairperson of next years event i'm asking for suggestions, criticisms....one thing I would really like is if we could somehow tie it up with ya'll @ the smlpba...and what do ya'll think of bikes joining in? Yanno..choice of doing the pr on a boat or a bike? Same stops..same prizes....?
Donna, we'd be glad to work together on this... I know some of our group has some concerns with tieing up and getting their cards...so we might be able to organize something a little different to accomidate. Also as for the bikes, why not? Sounds like a good idea...but a lot more work!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Also as for the bikes, why not? Sounds like a good idea...but a lot more work!
So I have to figure out how to get this......
Attached Thumbnails Smith Mtn Lake 2007 10th Annual Poker Run!-postable-pic.jpg  
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

and this up to SML.....It can be done....just not sure how yet
Attached Thumbnails Smith Mtn Lake 2007 10th Annual Poker Run!-2006-suzuki-boulevard-m50.jpg  
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents worth.

Smith Mountain is a great place to boat and we look forward to getting back up there. I would have done the poker run this year again except that Hartwell moved their date and we had already committed to that run with friends.

I think that compared to the many others runs we do that it is very well run and organized.

The only complaint I have with Smith Mountain is having to tie up and get out of the boat at each card stop. This is a real pain and slows the entire day down for everyone involved. I like the events where you idle through next to a dock and are handed a card on a pole and you keep going. It allows you time to make all your stops and anchor out and enjoy the lake before the day is over.

As for joining the event with bikes I personally do not like that. First off you change the odds greatly for those attending by boat from 80:1 to probably 200:1. It is much easier to get bikes then boats I would assume. There are two entirely different personalities and I think it takes a lot away from the boaters that enjoy these events. I have seen it tried before and based on the fact it is not being done anymore I would assume it did not work out as expected.

Sorry to butt in.

Dock

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 06-18-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
The only complaint I have with Smith Mountain is having to tie up and get out of the boat at each card stop. This is a real pain and slows the entire day down for everyone involved. I like the events where you idle through next to a dock and are handed a card on a poll and you keep going. It allows you time to make all your stops and anchor out and enjoy the lake before the day is over.
This is what I've heard a lot of people talk about...especially those with larger boats...just too small of a lake and too much tieing up for one day. Not to mention the quality of some of the docks at the card stops. Maybe the SMLPBA can volunteer our bikini crew to sit atop the bow of out boats and pass out cards & beads all day long! This would give us more stop locations.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think that you are going too have to worry about alot of bikes doing the run, $$$$$$ I know they cost alot, but if you have ever done a Poker Run on a bike they are no more then $50.00 and most are about $25.00-40.00.....
I have alot of friends that have bikes and they dont spend that much money for a run.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

Thanks again for the comments Dashberry. It was very gratifying for me to win the award after having the opportunity to design the boat of my dreams. The prizes were great - very generous and made the trip well worth while for me.

In fact, this run is one of my favorites. It is always well organized and the lake is awesome. In fact, 3 other couples join us every year as it has become an annual vacation for all of us.

Personally, I think that bikes would dilute the event. From my experience, these crowds (performance boats and bikes) don't mingle terribly well. In fact, I have done the event for the past 5 years and this past years crowd was the thinnest I have seen from a performance boat perspective. I remember when getting 75 boats was easy to do however, the last 2 years have been difficult to fill up (for various reasons that I can appreciate). My other disappointments from this year were that the t-shirts showed no association with performance boats and the flag design was changed (killed my 'boat wall' decor ).

However, I feel there are a few things that can be done to improve;
1 - Eliminate the card stops that require one to tie-off and exit their boat. I know for a fact that at least 5 of my performance boating buddies would do the run if this rule went away.
2 - Change the weekend to a bit later (early June) OR get the Ocean Marine Poker Run to change their date. Having 2 runs in VA on the same weekend gives an alternate destination and introduces a run that I would also like to do that I miss.
3 - Get the SMLPBA involved and on the run. Great group of guys with boats that will give the event the appearance I remember from 2003/2004

Please don't misconstrue. I love this event and have several friends there that I look forward to hanging out with every year. There is nothing more I would like to see than for this event to continue to grow and attract enthusiasts from all over the east coast.

Looking forward to next year....

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 06-18-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by R Addiction
And Riches new car.....He came by himself (noone wants to ride in it!!!)
ohhhhhh it all makes sense now....Rich is moonlighting delivering pizzas for Domino's.......pizza, pizza Rich.... 30 minutes or it's free?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the input...I really need it. I was disappointed in the turnout the past 2 yrs also...but you all know what we're up against here. Maybe we could do 2 separate ones..cuz honestly I don't know anyone who could accommodate that many boats/bikes at the same time. My opinion we would end up losing one of the poker runs...either boats or bikes if we combined in following years.

I'm meeting with my co-chairman next week to layout our goals, I plan to be up & running with this by August...after I meet with Barry I'll try to get in touch with ya'll on the SMLPBA so we can get together...we really do need to join forces

Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: Smith Mtn Lake 2007 10th Annual Poker Run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.