Lake Havasu Poker Run is in 2 Weeks - Question about Closures

Notices

Lake Havasu Poker Run is in 2 Weeks - Question about Closures

Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Havasu Poker Run is in 2 Weeks - Question about Closures

Hey Everyone -

I am just getting into this sport and LOVE it so far! It is very exciting and the people seem to be amazing! Anyways, enough a** kissing, here is my question...

I live in Phoenix and want to come out to the Poker Run in Lake Havasu in two weeks. A friend of mine lives out there.

I have been searching online for information about ramp and lake closures for the weekend, without success. I am planning on bringing my Scarab, finding a really good place to anchor and watch the boats run the lake.

Can anyone let me know what the lake and ramp closures are like? Will I be able to get my boat in the water? Will I be able to run it a little? Do they close the entire lake or just sections?

Thanks!!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have no problems. Everything is well marked and the ramps will be open. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

As stated everything should be open. I usually launch from Windsor Beach and head South to anchor up to the side of the course. The whole lake is open, so do what you please. During the poker run waves, just be aware and cautious of bigger, faster boats. Stay to the right side of the lane/river at all times. Standard stuff.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Dyno pretty much summed it up. No ramp closures on either day. I suggest launching at Cattail or Windsor ramps with your boat. You can enjoy the entire lake. No lake closures on Friday for the poker run, but on Saturday, you will find of all of Thompson Bay closed and new NO-WAKE areas from about Site 6 to near Copper Canyon.

If you just want to see the Participant boats, you can watch the parade through the channel prior to the start of each heat. If you want to see them going full out, go down to Black Meadow area.

Ted,
Safety boat coordinator
2011 Desert Storm
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Default Thanks!

Thank you! I am going to look for some maps of the lake so I can figure out exactly where I want to be. We are bringing a small group and planning on camping since we waited too long to get a decent hotel room. Everything decent is booked. I would rather camp than stay in a couple of the motels there.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

you may want to consider renting a house VRBO.com

There are many houses available that are nice and furnished. Local realtors in town sometimes know of places. Talk to some of the locals about shallow water heading upriver (North). Make sure your are there for the street festival. Info at Lakeracerllc.com

Have fun and be safe..
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by relaxalot
you may want to consider renting a house VRBO.com

There are many houses available that are nice and furnished. Local realtors in town sometimes know of places. Talk to some of the locals about shallow water heading upriver (North). Make sure your are there for the street festival. Info at Lakeracerllc.com

Have fun and be safe..
We have a 6000 SQ FT house rented in Havasu for 4th of July weekend. Love VRBO! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LHC30Victory
Dyno pretty much summed it up. No ramp closures on either day. I suggest launching at Cattail or Windsor ramps with your boat. You can enjoy the entire lake. No lake closures on Friday for the poker run, but on Saturday, you will find of all of Thompson Bay closed and new NO-WAKE areas from about Site 6 to near Copper Canyon.

If you just want to see the Participant boats, you can watch the parade through the channel prior to the start of each heat. If you want to see them going full out, go down to Black Meadow area.

Ted,
Safety boat coordinator
2011 Desert Storm
Thank you for the information. We are taking your advice and launching from Cattail. I take that is the same spot that Sandpoint Marina is at, correct? We are going to camp in Caittail cove. Should be a good spot to see the big boats hauling some boootay I hope!! :-)
Old 04-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Chris, you have it nailed! Hope to see you out there..
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Smile

Chris,, probably too late this year,, but next year you might wanna rent a moble home or space at the islander rv/resort bcuz it has it's own private launch ramp... the public ramps will be VERY busy for desert storm, so just relax and stay calm,, LOL.....

have fun and drive safe!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.