Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is size boats participate?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I think the smallest last year was a 28 on up to 50+ Most of the run is on Lake Michigan, so that's a consideration. I signed up and planned on doing it with a 30, but ended up upgrading the week before the run.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
This sounds like a ridicules way to get into a poker run. Can't they open up more slips if there's not enough room for everybody? Maybe bring in some floating docks, just seems weird.
U have to understand, slips are limited! we do the best we can w/ what we have! Are event is growing & that is AWESOME! W/ that is learning, trying new things, adapting, improvising! We try to do the best we can for everybody but w/ all things in life you can't appease everyone! But give'n our space limitations & the GREAT "crew" we have working on this event we feel we put on one he ll of a poker run!!!! Give us a try!! Thanx for your understanding, Wrink
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
While it does seem ridiculous at first, when you see the lengths the organizers go to to get the boats in slips you will see there is no simple solution. They move every single boat from the marina, and we raft boats three across in each well. Literally every piece of dock real estate is used for the poker run boats. The event has grown tremendously, and after attending last year it's easy to see why. The sell out speaks volumes for what a quality event this is.

If you sign up when public registration starts, I would bet you won't have any trouble getting a spot. Hope to see you there!
I agree, sign up quick and you'll be fine. And that means the first hour it opens to be sure. Don't hold me to this but even if you can't get a spot and you register I bet the Boyne Thunder Crew will do the best they can to try and squeeze you in or find you something. I do remember a few of the larger boats keeping there's on there trailers and not at the docks. It would be a gamble but what I can tell you is there will be somewhere there to help you the best they can, great people and great community.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I did it last year in a 31' Formula, as of now I'm doing it on a 1998 Sea Doo GSX. I'm in the works of purchasing something around 38 to 43 foot range right now. I can tell you this, last year you could of ran it in a lot smaller boat, the water conditions were amazingly calm.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris21hope
Agreed. I plan to participate, but won't if I have to pull the boat in and out of the water because I can't get a slip...
Same here... This run was high on my list but not without a slip. I guess we'll wait and see what's available.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MP... I went there last year just to attend, not run. They have a fun run on Thursday that we went on... ok, tried to go on it was so rough that I and another boat we were with turned around and went back. The day of the poker run it was much calmer and I could have easily done the run. But that's lake Michigan, I can't justify the entry fee then not run. I know the money goes for the kids but its a lot of money to me.

The area is a beautiful area to boat in, and I would recommend the area to anyone looking for a boating vacation. Most days your boat would be fine on lake Michigan but just know that there is always a chance the lake is in a bad mood and on those days, well you'll be rafted up drinking with us in lake Charlevoix. I always boat with my wife and she gets scared if its too rough so I am conservative and only go out on days its reasonably calm.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you worried about slips... Charlevoix isn't too far away, there are several marinas there that you should be able to get into. I know its not ideal you would have to -drive- to Boyne which is about 10-15 miles away, like I said, I don't know if that's any better than putting it on the trailer but it is an option.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

We do this event with all volunteers, we try to improve on the event each year as we find ways to make things better. The City is working on improving the marina, they have applied for improvements, very slow process. Please be patient with us and come enjoy the great boating we have to offer.I understand concern on slips, the dock crew will do everything they can to find a spot. Our Poker Run is a lot of fun, and if you get a chance check out Camp Quality's web site, great great charity we raise money for.http://mynorth.com/2013/08/children-...p-at-lake-ann/
Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukedonzi
For those of you worried about slips... Charlevoix isn't too far away, there are several marinas there that you should be able to get into. I know its not ideal you would have to -drive- to Boyne which is about 10-15 miles away, like I said, I don't know if that's any better than putting it on the trailer but it is an option.
That may be a good option for me. One of the main reasons I want to do this run is that my trailer was build in East Jordan and I still don’t know if the drive guard is going to make it up my lane at the lake house… If it doesn’t make it up the lane, the trailer builder (Phoenix) is going to remove it and repaint the back of the trailer. I figured it would be a great time to kill two birds by attending what I hear is a great run and also get the trailer changed while the boat is in the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.