Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Return of West Michigan Poker Run >

Return of West Michigan Poker Run

Notices

Return of West Michigan Poker Run

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen that... I just figured if 1-2k was the starting point it would still be up there. Like I said it all depends on what the event consists of. If it's just a run to lunch and dinner I would guess the norm would be $350-500 per boat captan and 1st mate... Additional for more crew/ hands. All depends on what the event has planned. An after dock party with VIP for the participants would be cool. Always fun to line the boats up at night and let the spectators come check them out... And let the drivers put out the flames with a few cold ones! Would there be a hotel within walking distance?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As one of the two guys who put on Smoke On The Water
for many years I wish you the best of luck. as does my partner Bob

Enjoy the logistics and political challenges they will seem to be daunting at times

Only one request--- A new event deserves a new name

Last edited by boatme; 03-10-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 106 Posts

Been waiting for you to chime in! I think the organizers of the new run need to take you out to a nice dinner and drinks for some of the best advice around!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
IMO it would be beneficial to host the Powerquest fun run the same weekend as a west Michigan poker run. The Fun Run can be on Friday or Sunday and whoever wants to join the poker run can also. You might even attract more PQ owners this way!
The best idea so far.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a DJ that would play for some entertainment...swap for an entry fee
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
New events always seem to have teething problems. I'd suggest keeping the cost low initially and let the events success drive the cost over a couple years. Things like the route, photographer, entertainment, food, prearranged lodging and docking all contribute towards a good event yet any one of those going wrong can also kill the event.

A couple years ago a group put on a new poker run in the west Bay with docking at Clinch marina in downtown T.C. A second event never happened yet the concept and location seemed perfect.
ed

Cost is always an issue and the time and liability is always a huge factor for these new events. I was the chairman for TC Bay Blast in Traverse City a few years ago and we didn't continue because I left for the middle east for a few years and just returned. We will have another event but won't be this year - it literally took a year worth of planning to get it done right if you want a real "poker run". Discussions have begun and we will plan for the return in 2015 tied with a charity TBD.

We gave back 100% after expenses and ended up at $450 to keep it as affordable as possible and we didn't have the overhead that Boyne has. Boyne is a spectacular event and fundraiser and their fee is very reasonable for the event that these great guys put on...again, they plan for a year with countless hours of volunteer work so be prepared!

For our first year, we were unsure of the turnout and nervously budgeted for 20 entires and had to cut it off at 50 overwhelming entries with a waiting list a week before the event! So whatever you guys do, have some fun with it, keep it affordable, and PM me if you want to shoot the Bull about it. The Boyne Boys helped us tremendously in TC!

Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Love the small boat poker run idea. Keep it affordable for us average guys. I would also be interested in hearing more about the powerquest run as well.

Last edited by Red Stripe; 03-13-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

I know this thread's been cold for a couple of months, but the idea is too good to let go stagnant. PM me if you need another mind, someone to do dirty work, or a mover and shaker. This would be SWEET.