Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerplay
OK, now a battery switch question... >

OK, now a battery switch question...

Notices

OK, now a battery switch question...

Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: OK, now a battery switch question...

Thanks ED

ED for the Powerplay fan club President
Old 05-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ED!! We're going to start having to pay you consulting fees

A couple other questions on the batteries:

1) I found the breakers under the rear seat to apparently kill the hatch lift. Is that all they are for? If both batteries somehow die, is there an easy way to get the hatch open to charge them?

2) If I have to jump the boat, or charge the batteries, what is the procedure? Where do I connect the leads, and what setting should both switches be on?

Last edited by JROMY; 05-18-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bring a battery into the cabin area behind the dash switches, use alligator clips to give 12v to the up button.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed
I've recieved a few more E-mails lately, begging for more "Powerplay Info". Love to help when someone has a question. We wired the Cole-Hershee brand battery switches in a twin installation, with the starboard switch to be placed in the "1" position. The port switch to be placed in the "2" position. A lot of customers put them in the "BOTH" positions, simply because they just could'nt remember which went where. Since PP's very beginning, I always bought the Cole-Hershee's & they all had the extra field disconnect feature. This protects the engines alternators, by not blowing their diodes, whenever a customer would switch battery positions while the engine(s) are still running, which is a no-no. The accessory battery(or "house" battery), was almost always the starboard battery. On the rare occasion that a third battery was ordered(an option usually requested/needed by the stereo fanatics), this became the power for just the extra electronics, amps, etc...Note: As these boats have more & more birthdays...mechanics sometimes get in there & modify things like wiring, etc...So each boat for now on, could be different. Hope this helps clear up some ???'s. Ed
Ed,
Thanks. So after running the boat with starboard in 1 and port on 2, when stopped at the beach running stereo with amps, since each switch is independend of each other the stereo or electonic equipment will not drain battery 2?? and there is no reason to shut one battery off??
And, if starboard switch is switched to 2 does that mean it will draw off battery 2 to start??
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JROMY:

I bought a 12V socket and connected it to the main battery that operates the engine hatch. I then bought the Husky Jump-Start system with 12V connector at Home Depot. It has a 12v to 12v connector and all I need to do is connect the plug and flip the switch.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Re: OK, now a battery switch question...

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
bring a battery into the cabin area behind the dash switches, use alligator clips to give 12v to the up button.
Actually...This is exactly how the we accomplished this in the shop. The riggers best friend was/is a Makita battery drill. Just carry in a 9.6 volt or 12 volt battery from one of these battery operated tools, hold two pieces of scrap wire onto both of the battery contacts with one hand(you won't get shocked) & touch the contacts with the other ends of the wires to the back of the "UP" hatch switch. The up & down E.A.O. push-button hatch switches have exposed screw terminals & are on the lower vertical helm wall & easily accessible inside the "hotbox", as we called it. This trick was also convienent when needing to move a trailer that would'nt move, due to having electric brakes that were locked up, when not connected to a vehicle. ActiveFun is on the right track. Ed
Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Full Throttle 525
JROMY:

I bought a 12V socket and connected it to the main battery that operates the engine hatch. I then bought the Husky Jump-Start system with 12V connector at Home Depot. It has a 12v to 12v connector and all I need to do is connect the plug and flip the switch.
This definitely works as well! ...Ed
Old 05-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Ed,
Thanks. So after running the boat with starboard in 1 and port on 2, when stopped at the beach running stereo with amps, since each switch is independend of each other the stereo or electonic equipment will not drain battery 2?? and there is no reason to shut one battery off??
And, if starboard switch is switched to 2 does that mean it will draw off battery 2 to start??
Correct, on all of the above. Ed
Old 05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered

As always, THANKS Gar!