Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerplay
Post pics of Power Play >

Post pics of Power Play

Notices

Post pics of Power Play

Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the compliment jlew. They have a long history of being a great rough water boat, and build quality is second to none.
Attached Thumbnails Post pics of Power Play-198220bacardi20trophy20race20winner.jpg   Post pics of Power Play-crouse28.jpg  
Old 03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PP Build Quality

Originally Posted by XPRESS 33PP
Thanks for the compliment jlew. They have a long history of being a great rough water boat, and build quality is second to none.
PP build quality was good, but I'm afraid to say, those two photos are of boats, not built by PP. 34' Coyote on the left, Cigarette on the right. No common build history whatsoever...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Registered

Ed, I know these were pre-Powerplay but wasn't it the same hull design? Didn't Dan race a 34 Coyote and eventually used it to build his 33 Powerpalys?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ed, I know these were pre-Powerplay but wasn't it the same hull design? Didn't Dan race a 34 Coyote and eventually used it to build his 33 Powerpalys?
No, not the same hull design at all. The 34' Coyote hull was taken from the much longer, deeper vee, MSV hull, for which Jean Claude Simon designed a deck. He designed a simular deck for the 28' Cary & 32' Cary, which became the 32' Cobra, by Performer. Dan inherited the 32' Cobra molds from an owner that also went away to school. These hulls derived from the 27' Magnum, as many others did. Bob Latham is a long time owner of an original 28' Cary with this ribbed deck Simon design. Jean Claude Simon designed decks, he did not design hulls, he used existing hull designs.

Last edited by Ed; 03-18-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the 32 Cobra's were the heritage Powerplay's?? No?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Registered

So your saying the 27 Magnum became the 32 Cary became the 32 Cobra and then the 33 Powerplay. Wasn't the 32 Cary also "The Cigerate"?
I know I have read that there was a conection with Powerplay and Coyote somewhere, I'll try to find it tomarrow. I aim not douting you just curios to find out where I read this. I seem to recall seeing it more than once. Some of this is confusing.
I guess the statement of them having a long history of being a great rough water boat is still true.
The hull on Slap Shot sure looks similar to the Powerplay
Old 03-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

Did Dan race the 34 Coyote named Powerplay?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Original 32 Cobra Molds

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I thought the 32 Cobra's were the heritage Powerplay's?? No?
The original 32 Cobra hull mold came to PP with three deck molds. One was the original Jean Claude Simon ribbed deck sport deck mold(which I personally cut up). The second was a "race" deck mold, which became the PP Sport Deck design. Dan did not design this deck shape, it came with the old 32' Cobra molds. Cobra(Performer) did make a couple of these prior. This deck mold came with a separate race fairing/dash that was later incorporated into the deck mold to make it one piece. The first couple PP's built in late 1987-88, were the separate add-on, race fairing/dash. You can easily identify these few boats by the limited cabin door height as you enter the cabin. The third deck mold was a center-console design, which was nothing more than a modified ribbed deck Cobra deck with the center area removed. It had a very basic square center-console. We used the 32' Cobra hull mold for all the 33 PP's up until 1994, when we retooled it, raising the hullsides 4 3/4". When we raised the hullsides, we had to actually shorten the hull length as the hullsides deepened, to insure that the new hull would mated up to the original decks. The boats remained 32' overall length. Still, Dan decided from the beginning to refer to the boats as 33', even though they were not. We tooled up a new design center-console deck & console in 1993, retooled the entire SportDeck mold in 1994, for no other reason than to deepen the cockpit floor 2", to take advantage of the new deeper hull, & tooled up a new staggered engine compartment race deck in 1995, which I believe we only made two decks from. Does this help answer its origins? Ed
Old 03-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Coyote

Did Dan race the 34 Coyote named Powerplay?
Yes. It was a boat named powerplay that was later used as the company name years later.

Last edited by Ed; 03-18-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed
The original 32 Cobra hull mold came to PP with three deck molds. One was the original Jean Claude Simon ribbed deck sport deck mold(which I personally cut up). The second was a "race" deck mold, which became the PP Sport Deck design. Dan did not design this deck shape, it came with the old 32' Cobra molds. Cobra(Performer) did make a couple of these prior. This deck mold came with a separate race fairing/dash that was later incorporated into the deck mold to make it one piece. The first couple PP's built in late 1987-88, were the separate add-on, race fairing/dash. You can easily identify these few boats by the limited cabin door height as you enter the cabin. The third deck mold was a center-console design, which was nothing more than a modified ribbed deck Cobra deck with the center area removed. It had a very basic square center-console. We used the 32' Cobra hull mold for all the 33 PP's up until 1994, when we retooled it, raising the hullsides 4 3/4". When we raised the hullsides, we had to actually shorten the hull length as the hullsides deepened, to insure that the new hull would mated up to the original decks. The boats remained 32' overall length. Still, Dan decided from the beginning to refer to the boats as 33', even though they were not. We tooled up a new design center-console deck & console in 1993, retooled the entire SportDeck mold in 1994, for no other reason than to deepen the cockpit floor 2", to take advantage of the new deeper hull, & tooled up a new staggered engine compartment race deck in 1995, which I believe we only made two decks from. Does this help answer its origins? Ed
I'd say that sums it up.

Quick Reply: Post pics of Power Play

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.