Hook in the hull >

Hook in the hull

Notices

Hook in the hull

Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hook in the hull

Is there a hook in the hull of a 33 Powerplay from the factory? I have a very slight hook (1/8" maybe). This winter I was going to blueprint the bottom and re-gell it. Should I remove the hook or is it part of the design?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova
Is there a hook in the hull of a 33 Powerplay from the factory? I have a very slight hook (1/8" maybe). This winter I was going to blueprint the bottom and re-gell it. Should I remove the hook or is it part of the design?

Thanks,
Frank
Hi Frank. No, the 33's did not have an intentional hook designed into the running surface, on any year hull. Over the years, as boats change hands, they are stored & therfore supported in different ways that effect the straightness of the bottom. Trailer bunks, boat lifts & cradles should always have their main support bunks run all the way to the transoms trailing edge, or beyond. Hi & Dry forklifts are known for poor support during lifting & lowering sessions. All this aside, all boat fiberglass post-cures for years & actually strinks with time. The fiberglass shrinks, but the transom wood & stringers don't. This will leave a small(and sometimes not so small) hook at the trailering edge of the bottom of the transom. In the business, the slang term for this is called a hard-spot. Most boats have them. How severe one boats shrink rate is, versus another, depends on the type of gelcoat, resin, catylyst type, strength, & quantity was used during its lamination process. The number of layers & types of glass used, the shops ambient temperature, as well the length of time between laminations, mold cure time, etc., also come into play when designing the amount of shrink time designed into a fiberglass part. There are many other factors as well, which I won't go into.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Registered

Thank you for the reply ED! You are a huge help! Would you mind taking a look at my other thread? http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...47#post2667347
Thanks,
Frank
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 874 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova
Thank you for the reply ED!
Ed frickin ROCKS!!!! He's helped many here. PP was lucky to have him and they're one heck of a boat as proof!!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thumbs up Your Welcome!

Anytime I can help guys, thanks...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

YES HE DOES!!!!!!!!!! Robbie

G whatup!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Indy
Ed frickin ROCKS!!!! He's helped many here. PP was lucky to have him and they're one heck of a boat as proof!!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

HEY Robbie! Hows that work of art running these days? Did you buy a place on the west coast yet? Give the wife a big kiss for me...lol
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Ed, LOL!!!!! Looks & runs great, no move to FL yet, nobody wants to spend the money for the boat. Chris smiled for the kiss, she said next time she sees ya she will upgrade the kiss with a bonus!!!!! She has NICE "BONUSES!!!!!!!" Have not been down lately, to darn busy, Look forward to lunch soon, Robbie & Chris

Originally Posted by Ed
HEY Robbie! Hows that work of art running these days? Did you buy a place on the west coast yet? Give the wife a big kiss for me...lol