Notices

Powerplay Boats

Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowisl
KTRON just made me a set of step pads. I think they came out great. They are clear anodized as well.
THOSE ROCK!!!!! Can you post a picture installed? Robbie
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Powerplay 38 Hull gelcoated and being skinned out

Steve, Which hull is the pictures taken from? The first white hull with the cobras? Thanks, Robbie
By the way, A GREAT THREAD!!!!! THANKS!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DEFYN GRAVITY
Steve, Which hull is the pictures taken from? The first white hull with the cobras? Thanks, Robbie
By the way, A GREAT THREAD!!!!! THANKS!!!!
Sir thank you, I have a lot of pictures of your Beautiful boat in here as well,The white boat you maybe right on that.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Wow Steve! This is what I've been waiting for. You are a true artist! Post 1289 is euphoric
Thank you for the nice comment's and for following this thread.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff the New Plastics are Amazing,I had some boat dealership buildings worked out with interlocking composite wall panels and so forth, they had an R-56 well as just about indestructible..
STEVE,
As soon as I get a little un-busy.. and get through this BP thing over the next month or so.. We need to get together with Hollis and talk about the 38 Epic... and introduce some of these hi-strength plastics like you and I are talking about. I have never been so impressed after I saw how strong this Airex is and its capabilities....secondly I want to make sure its done properly, Danny has met his match when it comes anal tentativity...and details...I guess we will se over the next few months. Talk with you soon..Again great thread, I have learned a lot.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing thread, I love this stuff. So the polishing and waxing of the mold would likely have a huge effect on the gel quality and finish right? And how does a production builder do it? I can't believe a company like Sea Ray has guys hand polishing and waxing a hull. (Not that there quality is anywhere near a PP)
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ted G
Amazing thread, I love this stuff. So the polishing and waxing of the mold would likely have a huge effect on the gel quality and finish right? And how does a production builder do it? I can't believe a company like Sea Ray has guys hand polishing and waxing a hull. (Not that there quality is anywhere near a PP)
Ted First thank you for the nice complements, that mold had a coat of clear tooling Gelcoat shot first then I backed it up with a standard pigmented tooling gelcoat we learned that would give the greatest shine and gloss retention from other molds that had been in service for a over a decade .

Like I said before the Boss had a great eye and nothing escaped his inspection.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
STEVE,
As soon as I get a little un-busy.. and get through this BP thing over the next month or so.. We need to get together with Hollis and talk about the 38 Epic... and introduce some of these hi-strength plastics like you and I are talking about. I have never been so impressed after I saw how strong this Airex is and its capabilities....secondly I want to make sure its done properly, Danny has met his match when it comes anal tentativity...and details...I guess we will se over the next few months. Talk with you soon..Again great thread, I have learned a lot.
Jeff I would be more than happy to help you anyway I can and thank you Sir for the nice Compliments.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Very interesting photos. I was with Powerplay from Day 1 untill '86 or '87. You must have been there ofter my time, but it's nice to see the old raceboat pics. BTW, the 25 was an original, not splashed.

Pete
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Ted First thank you for the nice complements, that mold had a coat of clear tooling Gelcoat shot first then I backed it up with a standard pigmented tooling gelcoat we learned that would give the greatest shine and gloss retention from other molds that had been in service for a over a decade .

Like I said before the Boss had a great eye and nothing escaped his inspection.
thats interesting, so the clear tooling gel is the mold surface. When i first started doing this stuff i would PVA everything. Molds, plugs, whatever. I always thought it was a guaranteed barrier between the mold and whatever i put in it but as you know it leaves a finish that needs a lot of sanding and buffing. I recently built a set of molds and did a highly polished plug and put a nice polish on the mold when i was done. I keep the surface waxed and in #1 shape and the parts just about fall out of it. I just keep up on the wax now and hardly ever use pva unless its a part that i am pulling a mold off that i cant risk damaging like the Donzi hatch i had to copy a few weeks ago. Steve what wax do you use? i am still stuck on Part-alls high temp on the thought that if it goes on hard it lasts longer. What do you think of the quick spray on wipe off mold release waxes?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.