What We've Been Up Too!

Notices

What We've Been Up Too!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What We've Been Up Too!

Hello again, *

* We have been pretty quiet online because we have been spending our time doing market research and working on the new 35’ along with driving back and forth to Mystic in Deland. Here is a recap of the last 6 months. We negotiated with John Cosker at Mystic to help in the design and building of both the Powerplay 35’ and 41’. Our original plan for the 35’ was to replace the metal engine bracket with a Euro transom, raise the hull sides to give it a more secure ride to passengers seated in the stern,*and* raise the cockpit floor 2” to assure a truly self bailing cockpit. We also wanted to update the lamination process to keep up with advancements that have taken place over the last five to six years with fiberglass and laminate technology. Originally our goal was to make these and a slew of minor changes which would result in a newly redesigned 35 Powerplay ready for the 2013 Miami Show. Well, that’s what we started to do. However, about three months ago, a boat builder that had a space at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show cancelled their contract and a great spot became available. We jumped at the opportunity.
I drove to Deland and talked to John about changing the ENTIRE schedule we had both agreed would work to get us to the Miami show on time. Our original plan was to make a running hull plug, weigh it, get a CG and then water test it to make sure we did not screw up any part of the Powerplay handling or the RIDE! We were then going to make a mold off the running hull plug, build the first hull and make a new deck design to go on top of our new hull. Well, that sounded really good on paper, BUT here’s what really happened. If you commit to a boat show space you are obligated to show only YOUR boats, and they have to be brand new. *So literally, in the blink of an eye our entire business plan changed, and on top of that in approximately three months*(100+ days earlier than we had originally planned) we had a show to make. Here is the process we used, we made a flange for the back of the 33’ hull mold and cut the transom out of the mold. This allows us to reinstall the original transom (it’s flanged, fiber glassed and it bolts right back on) with some considerable effort and a lot of finish work on the mold. Don’t worry, we can still provide anyone with a classic 33’ hull if they want.
This process is truly no different than anyone else’s two piece mold. Same great finish and strength, just a lot more labor intensive. John, my son, and I worked on the new transom and hull design. We decided to have the new transom plug cut with a CnC machine, and chose Doug Wright do the mill work. John did the drawing and Doug cut the plug. Mystic took the plug,* and made a mold. John then copied the same flange and bolt pattern design we used to remove the original transom. At that point all we had to do was bolt it on to the 33’ hull mold and voila we have a new 35. (Both John and I wished it were that easy!)**
Now we needed to raise the hull sides to match the new transom. Here is where we might piss some people off, BUT this is how we raised them. We had a jig made of where we wanted the hull sides to end, height wise. Then we used the indent in the mold where the feature line is for the 33, and installed our jig and made the hull sides perfectly smooth. We got the height we were looking for, but the collateral damage is that the feature line is gone. (Don’t judge too quickly as it’s going to come back at the end of this wonderful story!)*
Now we have built a new 35’ hull. This is the hull we had planned on doing all of our testing on. The show is now less than 75 days away and we do not, I repeat, DO NOT have a deck! I love the ride of the 33’. I think it has always had one of the best, non stand-up cabins in it’s class. However, I truly feel with todays economic factors, among other things we are just using our boats differently than we did say 10 years ago.
Not too many people, at least down south, are taking overnight weekend trips over 50 miles and spending the night in their 33’ Powerplay cuddy. Again, just my opinion. So what I have been seeing is people are using their boats on the weekends to do a little fishing, cruising and hanging out at the sand bar and or beach for the day.* So the cuddy gives us dry storage and a place to lay down. In reality, at least on my boat, it’s a place I store a bunch of S@*# that gets moldy and not used very often. Let’s make a version without a cuddy* (Of course we still have the original cuddy mold if anyone would like one.) an all open center console version that can be powered with either outboards or stern drives.**
With the open boat we will gain 30 to 40 percent more useable cockpit space, fifty percent more seating and a great place for sun bathers to hangout while on board and the sun shy, that’s me, to be able to hang out under the shade in the back. (Note to the reader: We do not have this open deck mold! NOBODY has this mold, it has NEVER been made for any Powerplay. It only exists in my mind and at the bottom of a Captain Morgan bottle.) Now we are at 60 days until the show opens. No Pressure.
John lays up an original 33’ cuddy deck, and we start to cut and paste it to match our new hull. We were originally going to run the test hull like we had run all the test boats at Midnight, with a plywood deck and all the rigging laying on top of our plywood sole. Fred Sanford has NOTHING on our boat test team! At this point, John is truly upgrading our status. At the end of the month we now have an all open deck version. (30 days until the show !! Woo Hooo !!)
To be brutally honest neither John, my son nor I are happy with the profile styling of this particular deck or the sheer line of the boat. (This is a “one off” and is at this point a market research vessel and a prototype test boat.) BUT we have to make the show. The boat needs more crown amidship and the nose of the 33’ does NOT look right on this hull. The height of the deck above the rub rail on the original 33’ is way too tall. This was already being modified on the new 35’ deck drawing, but we had to use it if we were going be on time for Lauderdale. The feature line HAS to be put back on the hull sides, and some more tweaking of the design both hull and deck needs to take place before we build ANYTHING else. In a nut shell, it was my decision to make the show and in our haste to get there on time I took one of the sexiest boats EVER and well….*
*Don’t get me wrong, John and his team did a miraculous job accomplishing what they did, especially in the time frame that they had to work with. We learned a monumental amount that we will now incorporate into both the new 35’ and the 41’. Instead of what some manufactures might do by selling a sub standard product,*I am going to eat this one (talk about an expensive lunch). This hull will truly allow us to test different ideas. We will be able to confirm performance expectations, fuel economy numbers and make sure the first REAL 35’s and 41’s are as close to perfect as we can possibly make them. If there is a silver lining to this, it is that we will be able to continue the new design work on the 35’ and 41’ while we have a test boat in the water. Using this test boat will allow us to confirm or deny whether or not a new idea, a piece of equipment, or a new system will work before we incorporate it into the new boats. We also acquired, what I consider to be, one of the best spots at the show. I challenge you to stop by the show and see if you agree, we will be VERY easy to find.
Due to having to change our schedule so drastically to make Fort Lauderdale, we have put ourselves way behind and will NOT have the new hull or deck ready for Miami, so you will be seeing this boat again at the Miami show. So you know I’m not blowing smoke, here is a list of the things we have incorporated into this 35’ within the last 6 months. (All of these changes will be on the boat at the Fort Lauderdale show.)

~ Removed metal outboard bracket and molded new integrated motor bracket with swim platform.
~ Raised hull sides 6” (Creating a more secure seating area in the stern for your passengers)
~ Raised cockpit floor 2” (It really will self bail.)
~ Added cockpit overboard drains, with one way check valves.
~ All “open” center console design (As I said before we can still build you a cuddy)
~ Removed ALL of the wood in the construction and replaced it with high density foam*
~ Raised stringers to full deck height all the way to the transom.
~ Removed all under deck storage and replaced it with above deck over board draining storage.
~ Water proof seal around deck hatch ( there is now only only one hatch in the floor and it for access to the bilge(bilge access) *
~ Recessed all hinges
~ Recessed bow rail (This came out pretty cool)
~ Cut out in the deck for fuel fill overflow (Now it does not run into the cockpit)
~ New console design (I REALLY like this and I hope you do too. Still needs a hair more tweaking though)
~ 6’2” head room inside of the console (It is HUGE inside)
~ Real fresh water flushing marine head, with holding tank and overboard discharge
~ Fiberglass well under console (With molded in non-skid)
~ Increased*fresh water capacity to 50 gallons
~ Increased fuel capacity to 250 Gallons
~ Made both fuel tanks fillable from either port or starboard (This is especially nice if you fill on a trailer)
~ New non-skid through out
~ New dash board design to hold two 12” Garmins
~ New breaker box design with water proof seal
~ Added trailer towing eyes on transom (This completely eliminates the need to run a trailer strap over your deck)
~ Forward facing lounger seat on console
~ Dry storage inside of console on 3’ by 3’ cushion (Replaces the cuddy cabin storage)
~ New forward seating
~ New rear seating
~ New center walk thru transom*
~ New self bailing gutter system
~ Added toe kick around all seating
~ Added two fiber glass integrated swim platforms to transom
~ Added rigging tube adaptors in the mold to allow full use of swim platform (This worked out really well)
~ Added*removable sun shade for rear seating and swim platform (If you boat in the sun you are going to want one of these, and it is retro applicable to any older Powerplay design)
~ Added two additional feet of cockpit space behind console with new seating and transom design
~ Removed ALL attaching screws in the top and bow rail (This bow rail will have screws due to us rushing for the show)
~ New console door 20” wide for a much easier console access
~ Eliminated screws in the gas, water and waste fills
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

Default Continued

This is really not a bad list of improvements considering we started from scratch less than 6 months ago. *We will take pictures at the show and put them up on our web site. So let’s get current. We picked up the hull and deck from Mystic on Monday October 15th and got home so late that we could not start rigging her until Tuesday morning October 16th. We got a hull and a deck with the rub rail, installed, and NOTHING else!! *Did I forget to mention that our move in date for the show is this Sunday, October 21st? Six days to put everything together and get her to the show. A new top design, powder coated of course, because polished aluminum would have been too easy, too smart and too simple. We are installing a JL audio system with ten speakers, three subs and three amps,*new captains chairs. (Wait till you sit in these things, they are worth the price of admission, but as I write this letter on Friday morning at 2:30 AM, the chairs have still not arrived.) Completely new interior design, new console design well, I think you get the picture.*
If you have a chance and are in the Fort Lauderdale area for the weekend stop by the show and say Hi. The boat we will be presenting at the show is truly a work in progress, so please don’t be TOO *judgmental. (She will truly make the next ones we build be MUCH BETTER boats). We showed a 38’ Powerplay at the Palm Beach show years ago and someone made a comment online about how some of the things he saw on the boat Danny would never have let out of his factory, or something along those lines. At first I was a little taken back, then became pissed off and eventually* just wrote it off. Just so you know, it actually was one of the boats that Danny built. It was the third 38 in the four I had contracted to buy from Powerplay when they were still in business.*Pat from performance did all the rigging, which I can promise you that performance did an awesome job. And yes, I do have pictures of the dash and the bilge rigging if anyone has any questions. So I guess if you want to come down and trash what you see that is your right. I would truly prefer for myself, my company*and any and all future clients and friends, that you make your observations and criticisms on more of a positive note. By doing this, you can actually contribute to the process of us making a better Powerplay for years to come.*
Where we are right now in the design phase, any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.*Being a small builder we can incorporate and change almost anything before the next boat get produced, so bring on the ideas. If any of you have time and cannot make the show, send me an email at [email protected] or just pick up the phone and call. I would love to know how you are using your boats, and if you were in the market, what would you be looking for in a new boat. At the Miami show, a perspective Powerplay owner asked me why no one had mounted a towing eye low enough on the transom to hook to a trailer without interfering with the gel coat, motors, etc. I started thinking about it, and yes, it would be four more holes below the water line. (OK so K-planes have six holes a piece, plus the new trim position sending wire) In short the idea made too much sense not to do it. No strap to rub on the chine edge, top deck gel coat or the engine bracket. We messed around with placement a little and it is now standard equipment on all our boats (Remind me to say thank you to him, and send him one of our t-shirts with the new Powerplay logo!) If you like it, please feel free to copy it because it really does work. This picture will also be on the website sometime Sunday after we move into the show. *We do not expect to have ANY interior in place before Wednesday afternoon. So those of you that are interested, we will hopefully have full shots of our new cockpit layout up on our web site by the following weekend. We hope to be able to deliver the first REAL 35’s in time for spring.*
I almost forgot, we are going to back EVERY item on EVERY Powerplay we sell for the first two years. From the BOW to the STERN, parts and labor! With the exception of getting the boat to us or to your marina, you will not have a repair bill of any kind (Of course this excludes regular maintenance items) for two years from the day you take delivery.
Hope to see you on the water !

Tom Mason
* For those of you that have not fallen asleep during my rambling and are truly interested where Powerplay is going please read on. Here is a list of things we are still working on and we hope to see in the next six months.
~ New deck design (mainly from the rub rail up) A better/sexier profile
~ New gunwale design to give us more room in the cockpit
~ Below deck anchor/ locker windlass compartment in bow
~ Fiberglass liner for inside of console
~ Fender and dock line storage compartment in bow
~ Add feature line to hull sides
~ Water testing, testing and more testing!
~ Better non-skid pattern/application
~ Better hatch seals
~ Modify the console below deck to make an actual bed (gonna be kind of skinny on the 35’)
~ Shower and a sink in the console

Last edited by Powerplay Tom; 10-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

Good luck glad to see this company resurrected I felt Danny built one of the best quality boats on the water I did all his dash panels. I will look you up at lauderdale show
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

We're at booth 1012-1015 at Bahia Mar come check it out
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

pics?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered

They'll be up as soon as the weather lets up
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics??
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Registered

Wow, sounds like a busy year!

I'd love to see a 35 sport deck with modern layup, etc. Maybe someone will pony up for one so I can buy it in 15 years.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

I shared a few of The pictures that Mystic put on there facebook on ours, I will attempt to get a few better photos tomorrow when we float the 35 tomorrow but for now

http://www.facebook.com/PowerPlayPowerboats
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For some reason I thought we were going to see a sport deck? Still no sport decks being built?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.