3 Rapid Beeps? >

3 Rapid Beeps?

Notices

3 Rapid Beeps?

Old 06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 Rapid Beeps?

We were running pretty hard Saturday when I heard 3 rapid beeps in alarm. I shut down, did a cursory check of fluids finding nothing real low. Started up again and the beeping had quit. Started running again and it came back. So we headed for the dock and at a slow pace. The beeping would come and go.

After a closer look, I found I was low on drive oil. Not out but at the low mark on the container. I filled it and ran on Sunday. The beeping came back but far fewer times then the day before. Maybe I did not find the problem? Do I need to bleed the system or something?

Any help with what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3 Rapid Beeps?

Dave I had that same problem last year and mine ended up being the wire that runs to the alarm had fallen out of the harness and was laying on the block and shorting out every once in a while. Also check your sending units for a loose connection.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Registered

I would also check the drives drain screw. Mine was leaking one year after it had been winterized. I noticed before running boat the next season but when I started up for the first time in the spring my alarm was going off. I added drive oil and everything was okay.

Not exactly the same problem you may be having but I would make sure your drain screw is tight.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Registered

Thanks. I will check both the wires and the screw.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second day had the drive oil level dropped again in the container. If so you have drive fluid leaking in to the water and should address the problem immediately before you do serious damage to lower unit gears.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

This past weekend, I checked the drive screw and it was OK. I checked any and all wires I could find without taking the shroud off the engine. The beeping came back pretty quick as soon as we started going fast. I shut her down and checked the drive oil again. This time, it was pumping out through the weep (?) hole in the lid. I did not over fill when I added oil last weekend. I guess the level fluctuates when the drive is hot? Something else I need to figure out soon.

Anyway, here is the new twist, we shut off the starboard engine first (this is where I added the drive oil), and the beeping continued. I shut off the port engine and the beeping stopped (naturally). The beeping goes away until we gain rpms and then only sporadically shows up. But it does seem to be tied to the port engine somehow rather than the starboard as first thought. With the starboard motor running, I unplugged the sensor and the beeping did not go away. I should have done the same for the other engine. At the time it seemd like too much of a coincidence.

Our dealer does not have the Mercruiser computer diagnostic tool. I may buy one of the cheaper ones just to see what the computers says.

Last edited by Dave98; 07-05-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Turned out to be a low water alarm on my depth gage. Same 3 rapid beeps. Said I was in 1 foot of water, in reality it was more like 30 feet. Not sure if you have teh same problem, but may something to check.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

That is exactly what the problem was, the low water alarm on my depth finder. I am more than a little embarrassed that that was the problem but I am also relieved it was not something expensive!

This weekend I heard yet another new alarm, 1 beep on, space, beep etc. It was the low fuel alarm. Kinda of good thing!

I am learning!