Stress Cracks Common for PQ >

Stress Cracks Common for PQ

Notices

Stress Cracks Common for PQ

Old 01-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 1997 260 PQ that had 175 hrs when I sold it last fall and it didn't have a single stress crack. My boat had snaps for the tops, bow rails, stern rails and windshield. I have seen other boats that had cracks from these items not having the holes drilled properely.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you didnt offend me there H2O.. just making my statement..
Old 01-24-2002, 08:10 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a '00 280.
NO stress cracks anywhere!
Boat was VERY solid.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-24-2002, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts
I have a 98 260. I have some minor stress cracks by the windshield on the port side. I've owned a Checkmate a Donzi and other boats, and they all had some stress cracks.I've also seen them on other boats that my friends own. I just think that it is normal for a boat that is subjected to the abuse we all give them. It is just the gelcoat and not a structural thing.That's just my .02
Old 01-24-2002, 08:46 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had quite a few especially near a radius like the ones Ray has. They have repaired and strengthened all but two that were created by taking one on the side it was a hard hit and they are located on the cockpit floor area. I was hoping they would fix them but PQ decided it wasn't a warranty issue. Whether I agree or not with that decision I can certainly understand that they can not be fixing every single crack in there boats. I do know that when they find a problem area they change there production to reinforce that area.
There are a couple questions that I have wondered about. Is the gel too thick? Are the stress areas put together too tight? With any material or structure some type of expansion joint or buffer needs to be used to absorb shock. SCOTT
Old 01-24-2002, 09:36 AM
New To Power

Scott,

How did the repairs turn out??? Can you tell that there was work done in these areas???

NTP

Old 01-24-2002, 11:50 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

I would like to email some of you guys a zip file of pics I took of my cracks and also sent to PQ. Maybe some of you who have had stress cracks can compare, and post feedback.
Maybe I am over reacting.
I do know after I sent PQ the pictures they asked how many areas I had so they could get an idea of hours of work involved, but when I emailed the following list, they informed me it was not covered.

My cracks
14 cracks around the windshield. All cracks start on the cockpit side of
windshield and extend into bow. All cracks are 3" or longer( one is 9"). None are
spider web type cracks you normally see in gel, all are deep and you can
feel when you run your hand over them.

4 cracks in the stripe that is gel coated into the bow, one deep like around
the windshield.

3 cracks around the pump out fitting, all similar to the ones around
windshield.

Jan

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Jan ]
Old 01-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Jan, non of mine were even close to what your describing.

New to Power, The repairs looked good a little shade difference do to sun fade but 90% of my trouble was in the cockpit area so it wasn't a issue.

If you call PQ I'm sure they would give you the gel manafacturer and part #. I have learned a little bit about this type of repair it seems most of them require some type of reinforcement from the underside or pressure relief.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:00 PM
Kentz

I'm with rbtnt, my 97 260 had 330 hrs and no stress spiders. But hey, it did have a "carpet" cabin headliner that was glued poorly and started to fall. Try stretching and re-glueing one of those badboys, a real job!.

Old 01-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

I had to re-glue my head liner after the first year, what a job! The problem seemed to be the wiring harness that ran the length of the cabin on the stbd side was not secure and started to sag on the carpet. If I keep the boat might look at the cost of installing a suspended head liner

Quick Reply: Stress Cracks Common for PQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.