What to look for on A 38 Avenger? >

What to look for on A 38 Avenger?

Notices

What to look for on A 38 Avenger?

Old 08-10-2006, 03:41 PM
MK
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What to look for on A 38 Avenger?

Originally Posted by Powerful Addiction
MK,

How well did the 38' with the 525's run with the boxes? I have been thinking of adding some boxes to my 05'. It is the custom Poker run edition that was built for Riverview. I have been told that the hull that it got was different from the other 38's - is that true? I have taken a straight edge to it and it has either been worked or it is darn straight from the factory in the last four feet.

Tim

I thought it ran good - it did run flat as previously mentioned, but it all 38's run pretty flat. I liked the feel of the drives being back another 12" - it was noticeable in rough water as it made the boat essentially feel a foot longer.

The boat I was referring to was a 1998 so it was before the mold was re-worked. It ran around 80-82mph if I recall correctly. It wasn't much if any faster than without boxes.

I have never driven a 2000 or newer with boxes so I don't know the impact they would have on the new hull. My guess is that you would see more of a gain in top speed on the new hull.

Mounting boxes after the engines are installed may prove to be a major redo. I think we had to lower the engines down more than normal to fit the boxes up under the swim platform. If you have to lower the engines, that means glass and recut the transom. No small job. I would talk with a shop that has installed them before to see what you are up against.

Marc
Old 08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
MK
Registered

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
Yes it has 525sc in it. Yes it had some extra decals on it (gaffrig guages on the sides below the side clets) I believe it had some others on it at some time from what it looked like, fade before I buffed them out. Anything I should know about this boat? Thanks

Rich.
In 1998 we were one of the two pace boats for the world championships down in Biloxi, Mississippi.

I'm pretty sure your boat is the one we built as the pace boat.

It was also in the brochure in 1998 - I'll see if I can find one at home and scan it in.

After we put that boat together, we got orders to build others with the same graphics/colors/decals but without the boxes and motors.

Dennis Backis and I took the boat to Biloxi for the races and paced a number of the races that week.

Marc

Does your boat have McLeod bolsters?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Marc that would be the boat. Also remember we brought in Mel Riggs and Johnny Bacus from Mercury Racing to put that 38 together for Biloxi.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

MK,

Thanks for the informaiton.

Tim
Old 08-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MK
In 1998 we were one of the two pace boats for the world championships down in Biloxi, Mississippi.

It was also in the brochure in 1998 - I'll see if I can find one at home and scan it in.

After we put that boat together, we got orders to build others with the same graphics/colors/decals but without the boxes and motors.

Dennis Backis and I took the boat to Biloxi for the races and paced a number of the races that week.

Marc

Yes it does
Old 08-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MK

Marc

Yes it does have Mcloed int. and I think it is the pace boat but the brocher boat had a windsheild and mine does not.

Rich.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:49 PM
MK
Registered

I could not find a 98 brochure just a 99.

It is on the cover of the 99 brochure, but it is a blurred picture so you cannot see it very well.

I thought we used a picture or 2 of your boat, but maybe we didn't.

Regardless, that is a very nice boat you have.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MK
I could not find a 98 brochure just a 99.

It is on the cover of the 99 brochure, but it is a blurred picture so you cannot see it very well.

I thought we used a picture or 2 of your boat, but maybe we didn't.

Regardless, that is a very nice boat you have.
Thank you, I like it
Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
Thank you, I like it
And I here the P5s are working out very well.

Glad you found the right props for it. I ended up deciding to go with a 30 standard maximus. It will shave off 3 mph top end but the midrange and efficiency is better. Plus I am not sure they have the right labbed prop figured out yet, and I can always get one over the winter after we get a chance to get some more testing done. Maybe we can trade some day and see how that works out.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 PM
www.LEGENDMARINEGROUP.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

I just traded for a 1999 28 twin 500hps 125 hours boat is very very clean dont think it needs any work I can if you are interested I love a good baja trade [email protected] 817-832-8526 cell

Quick Reply: What to look for on A 38 Avenger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.