Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger >

Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger

Notices

Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger

Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by performancemary
Mine take about an hour as the thumb screws on the back side of the lid on the top of the Livorsi units are difficult to reach. Sugest you get some with a hinged top rather than all the thumb screws.
That is what I wondered about. Mine are from Hardin, and have a oblong screw off top fitting. Given the location I wondered if something similar might be a little easier to get to if they get clogged while running.
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger-pictures-june-23-056.jpg  
Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillR
It looks worse than it was in the pic. I could reach right down and unscrew lid and clean out. It was a straight shot. It just LOOKS hidden from the way the pic was taken.
Thanks - I just wondered if the multiple fasteners were hard to get to given the location.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
Factory did mine maybe you can see it tucked up in there.

God Forbid, if you have to get to it in a rush....WOW
...I looked and I thought I had a pic of my location, but I don't maybe this weekend
Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to open a can of worms, but is every body happy with their sea strainers or if they could do it again would you pick a different brand or style? I am thinking about adding them to my boat and wonder if some are better than others? Are their any i should stay away from? Considering KPMS because of the claim to filter out sand.Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

I'm happy with mine and have put them in the past 2 boats. Now about the sand thing....that goes both ways. But sea and lake weed .... it works great
Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

If I was putting some in today I would go with the screw off top type. I believe Harden and Livorsi both offer them. Mine are a bear to clean due to their location and the thunb screws.
Relative to sand, in my opinion they help but if your in a bad sand spot with Livorsi units you are still going to loose your impeller.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

I'm happy with mine but never had them before now, so cannot compare it to anything. What I like best is I can have the tops off in half a minute. Plus I had quick disconnects inserted into one port so you can put the other quick disconnect end on a hose, connect it to the port on the strainers and flush. I also have it set up to pump antifreeze through the quick disconnect to the heat exchanger so can basically winterize both engines in about 5 minutes.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Default strainers

That is cool. How do you winterize your air cond?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by performancemary
That is cool. How do you winterize your air cond?
Turned out that I can just push the hose end up to the fitting, which sits about 5-6 inches inside the chine about a foot or so aft the dash. When I say the hose end it is the hose that is connected to a 2 way jabsco pump that will pump the pink antifreeze from the 5 gallon bucket to wherever you have the hose end. I just turn the air (or heat if it is cold enough) on and it sucks the pink antifreeze through the air/heat. Takes only a minte to pump it through once you have it set up.

Then I do the same thing on the Vacuflush head. I have the head sucked out one last time at the marina and go back to the slip and put the jabsco pump up to it and flush the toilet 2-3 times with the jabsco pump running and it is done.

Pretty easy to get it all done.

I got the 2 way jabsco pump from west marine. When I worked with the engineers from Sunsation my request was to be able to winterize everything in 15-30 minutes. We can get it all done in about 20 minutes with 2 people.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 04-08-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Takes me about two minutes per strainer to clean out and close up. Makes it easy to run the engines off the hose, just lay it in the open strainer.
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger-copy-pq-rebuild-047.jpg   Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger-copy-pq-rebuild-048.jpg   Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger-pq-rebuild-053-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sea Strainer Vyper or Avenger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.