Refrigerator on the fritz >

Refrigerator on the fritz

Notices

Refrigerator on the fritz

Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refrigerator on the fritz

I noticed last night that my refrigerator has decided not to work...just as we are planning a week long trip It is a Norcold DE-351D dual voltage. Nothing happens when I'm connected to shore power, but if I turn that off and turn the switch for DC on, you can faintly hear the compressor try to start but then stops and nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

Default refrigerator blues

Originally Posted by Rock Star
I noticed last night that my refrigerator has decided not to work...just as we are planning a week long trip It is a Norcold DE-351D dual voltage. Nothing happens when I'm connected to shore power, but if I turn that off and turn the switch for DC on, you can faintly hear the compressor try to start but then stops and nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
These things are not the most reliable piece of equipment I've come across, I have replaced a couple of them over the years on different boats. Seems to be the only company making them (small ones) and expensive if you need a new one, good luck...
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered

First, I would confirm you are getting the proper voltage to your boat though the shore power connection. Sometimes, it's the simple things. Then, check for tripped circuits breakers and or blown fuses. Amperage ratings on the DC / AC connections require seperate fusing for each. Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Default Need a new fridge

The fridge has served its last cold one, the cooling unit is out and needs to be replaced. The cost of this + labor = the cost of new fridge. Does anyone have any leads on where I can pick one up for less then the $775.75 I have been quoted?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I have seen them a couple hundred bucks cheaper than that at West Marine. Try searching online. Good luck
Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Ended up purchasing a new one, replaced it with a Vitrifrigo and not a Norcold this time. Had some trouble with it kicking out when running on 12V. This unit has a battery save option built in, so if the voltage drops too much it will shut the condensor off. Wish I would have knew this before I left on my 5 day trip down the Mississippi. Anyway, contacted the dealer and they said to run a heavier gauage wire to minimize the voltage drop. It had 16 running to the breaker, I ran a new 10 to that breaker off of the battery switch. It ran fine, but should I be putting an in-line fuse just after the battery switch on the new wire?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rock Star
Ended up purchasing a new one, replaced it with a Vitrifrigo and not a Norcold this time. Had some trouble with it kicking out when running on 12V. This unit has a battery save option built in, so if the voltage drops too much it will shut the condensor off. Wish I would have knew this before I left on my 5 day trip down the Mississippi. Anyway, contacted the dealer and they said to run a heavier gauage wire to minimize the voltage drop. It had 16 running to the breaker, I ran a new 10 to that breaker off of the battery switch. It ran fine, but should I be putting an in-line fuse just after the battery switch on the new wire?
Thats what the breaker is for you should be fine