Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macklin,
How's the Active Thunder doing for you?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unbelievable! You looked at my boat? Where? I'm told it was not well cared for after I traded it in, which made me very sad. I took meticulous care of her. I was hoping I would see the new owner chime in here, but I guess he is not an OSO type.

The AT has added a completely new dimension to our lives. This beauty is a beast! It eats up the lower Chesapeake Bay washing machine waters. I looked at used Cigs for two years, but always had a bad feeling about loosing the spacious cabin we enjoyed in the PQ. Now we have both...great cabin and wonderful ride!

Can't wait for the first splash down in a couple / three weeks.

Best of luck to you in your search!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered

Default 34 Vyper

I have a 2000 34 Vyper with a trailer Fresh water boat at LOTO Twin 502 with 30 pitch 4 blades. It has two covers, full mooring is one year old but it has a windscreen. No AC but it is wired for it, microwave and toilet. I am second owner, original owner was from Lake Ontario. I will take $72000 for the whole thing even though it is not exactly what you are looking for. call me at 636 343 6919. If not I like the boat and do not mind holding on to it one more year. Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Macklin's boat showed salt water scars???!!!!!!
Maybe lousy well water scars! Where Macklin kept his boat, the marina used the sh*tiest well water for rinsing. It still had salt in it, but was considered "non Potable water". That is likely what you saw.
When Macklin had the boat - the only spot that had salt water effect was on the windshield by the mounting screw. You have to keep tightening them, thus the paint chipped - salt got under and bubbled it up. Otherwise, you'd never know.

Vyper's boat is kept in a marina where they use city drinking water to clean. BIG difference! It shows too!
Vypers boat - I was on it recently. There is no salt water evidence. That boat had meticulous care. Not a rinse down - more like a light detail after each run.
I would say "it's worth the trip" to investigate.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 03-03-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered

Macklin,
I looked at Your old boat in mid August last year just north of Alantic City. I had the down payment and financing set up. It just didn't show well. I never brought it up cause I didn't wan't/need to stir it up. Still don't. But if you, Vyp or Bill really want to know, PM me. That's just how it goes sometimes.

Yeah I saw the spot on the windshield frame too. In fact there was two, one on each side, but one diffenately bigger. The drive lift cylinder blocks were pretty fuzzy along with round disc on the bottom of the cavitation plate. Also the stern light socket was pretty festered (electrical connections). Glove box latch bubbled too, Little things - Yes. But there was more. The sea water wasn't my deal breaker.
Boats in Michigan just show cleaner. Way less season and sun probably. Check out the drive shot in the classifieds of my 230 Conquest it's a '91 435 hrs.

Mac's boat apparently, was sent to this Broker in NJ. where it was left outside unattended for the year(dead batteries). It was by far the best boat on this guys lot.

Kind of a wierd deal, where I went to see a boat that the seller hasn't seen for months. Although Bill and yourself vouched it to be showroom, I seriously doubt you knew the actual condition last August or Florida and Virgina have different showrooms. Again I say it's a great boat for somebody. Price was low enough, so who ever got her did good. I am a little smarter now for it, I now ask different questions.

I sat on the boat for two hours trying to talk myself into it, kinda in disbelief. I am sure some could say I'm a cry-azz, but it just wasn't my boat.

I heard it sold shortly after I looked at it. Good for all involved.

The trip it'self was quite a deal too. Funny n hel*.
Later, I gotta go get some work done.

Last edited by Shawn D; 03-03-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn D
Macklin,
I looked at Your old boat in mid August last year just north of Alantic City. I had the down payment and financing set up. It just didn't show well. I never brought it up cause I didn't wan't/need to stir it up. Still don't. But if you, Vyp or Bill really want to know, PM me. That's just how it goes sometimes.

Yeah I saw the spot on the windshield frame too. In fact there was two, one on each side, but one diffenately bigger. The drive lift cylinder blocks were pretty fuzzy along with round disc on the bottom of the cavitation plate. Also the stern light socket was pretty festered (electrical connections). Glove box latch bubbled too, Little things - Yes. But there was more. The sea water wasn't my deal breaker.
Boats in Michigan just show cleaner. Way less season and sun probably. Check out the drive shot in the classifieds of my 230 Conquest it's a '91 435 hrs.

Mac's boat apparently, was sent to this Broker in NJ. where it was left outside unattended for the year(dead batteries). It was by far the best boat on this guys lot.

Kind of a wierd deal, where I went to see a boat that the seller hasn't seen for months. Although Bill and yourself vouched it to be showroom, I seriously doubt you knew the actual condition last August or Florida and Virgina have different showrooms. Again I say it's a great boat for somebody. Price was low enough, so who ever got her did good. I am a little smarter now for it, I now ask different questions.

I sat on the boat for two hours trying to talk myself into it, kinda in disbelief. I am sure some could say I'm a cry-azz, but it just wasn't my boat.

I heard it sold shortly after I looked at it. Good for all involved.

The trip it'self was quite a deal too. Funny n hel*.
Later, I gotta go get some work done.
It's true. The boat went to a broker we trusted (past tense) to sell the boat after Macklin traded it in. They did not take care of the boat. This event caused a LOT of strife for us; and I can't describe to you how pissed Pat and I were about this.

After Shawn's report, the boat was snatched out of there and taken to New York, and it was completely taken care of. It eventually sold to a guy in Canada sight unseen; and the owner was very happy.

I don't blame Shawn for being upset about the whole ordeal. We really did not know that such abuse had taken place. I have known Macklin, and his Powerquest for several years. It was pristine when he traded it in.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-04-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered

Default 34 Vyper

If you are seriously considering the purchase of a Vyper you should come down and take a look at mine it is in perfect condition with 500 HP's loaded with full camper tops trailer latham steering k planes hydro cones and full interior package as well as a new $5k stereo system installed last year, we are looking at moving into the AT crowd and you wont go wrong with mine, it is always garage kept and detailed twice a year. I keep all my toys in 10 + condition. contact me if you would like additional information.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shawn D
I briefly looked Vypers' 340. At first glance it's out of my range - straight up. While I figure there's room for negotiation, we're talking 45k dif. - not just a 10%

I love the colors & options.

As far as the wind screen, I would agree, it makes it a bit faster & looks more offshore. We like to put in the water Friday after work and pull out Sunday evening. Our friends and family do the same, about 3-6 boats (The Jones have Formula's 311SR & 330SS). Weather can change quick on the Great Lakes and we don't go home because of it. More times than I can count we've hunkered down under the windshield to get some where. I Assume one could be installed.

Also, Norfolk Virginia, I assume salt water. I know low hours, closed loop cooling, inside storage, rinse down. But the salt air and spray gets the little thing too. I spent $700 going to look at Macklin's old boat. I could tell it was in salt water. just the little things, like the hatch gas assist cylinder brackets, sea water pump brackets. Little things - Yes, But.... I'm Afraid of the Sea.

While some might think we need a Cruiser for more room, we currently have a 230 Conquest, So a 340 will be great improvement, and will still look in style in 10 years.

Frankly, I totally screwed up two boats I wanted to buy. The first was Frustrated's 2000 - 340, 270 hrs, 500 efi's, loaded, fresh water, Super clean - Absolutely Beautiful boat around 90k. I looked at it at Thankgiving - Sold last month. The second was a 2001 on boat trader Yellow, orange, Purple, fresh water Lake Cumberland boat, 496 HO's, 270ish hrs, WhileI didn't see it, I was heading there next week. also loaded, 89K. Sold this last week.
I am working on a March time frame, son-of- bi**h. Day Late Dollar Short.

Vyper, I'll Email or PM you this week for some pic's. If I really need the shield, I'm sure it can be added. But I think the issue will be the cost mostly & I'ld need to get over the Sea water.
Shawn - take your time and find the right boat for you. I know how important that is!

Regarding price, what you saw was set a long time ago by a broker to set the bar high. The real price is much closer to your target area...

If you find anything on my boat that shows salt water or wear issues, I will have it fixed or replaced just as I would if I see it during any day I use it. The only thing I've had an issue with is the custom painted glove box that PQ re-did where two dissimilar metals meet (latch and panel). That would happen in any area where oxygen and water exist and is not a salt water issue. In any case, I would or could have it fixed but it is small and not an issue that has made my list of things to do since PQ closed (and is now open I understand). As far as I know there is nothing else and I have so highly optioned the boat with all sorts of custom bling it's hard to put everything down but the ad I referenced you to has about 90% of all the goodies.

Finding a good used boat (fresh water or otherwise) is always a challenge. I've found that so much is truly dependent on how the owner treats his/her toys over where it is used. Having grown up on the Great Lakes I have seen plenty of boats that look worse than many salt water closed loop cooled boats I've seen. The big issues are closed loop cooling, regular flushing, and always cleaning and drying the boat after each use. Naturally, 2-4 wax applications per year should be a standard in addition to being stored indoors and out of the sun (the most damaging element for paint and the boat).

Good luck in your search and let me know if I can help with any info!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered

Shaun, I sent you over the pics of my Vyper as well as my cell let me know if you got them.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you decide - you SHOULD at least LOOK at Vypers boat. I am sure it's condition will impress you.
Get him to take current pics and email them to ya.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Quick Reply: Looking for a Vyper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.