Notices

Blisters

Old 03-01-2002, 12:50 AM
53FordF100

Question Blisters

Has anyone had any issues with Gel coat blisters on their PQ. I am planning on leaving my 29' in a slip this summer, however am a little concerned. I have heard different gel coats are more susceptable than others. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 03-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would keep it rack stored or on trailer vs slip. The main reason is to keep it clean. I believe every boat has the potential to blister if kept in the water. I know for my boat, it is just a little bit cheaper to keep racked vs slip. Boat stays nice and clean and is available a majority of the times I want. One thing I'd like is extened hours for rack storage, but I havn't had any problems leaving my boat overnight at marina and having them put away in the morning.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard a lot of things about PQ (good and bad) but never anything about blisters. I am 100% with Vyper on this one try to rack store or get a lift. The amount of damage from years in the water just doesn't seem worth it to me. Not to mention the hassle trying to clean it

Disclamer: I know some of you have no choice this is just my opinion
Old 03-01-2002, 10:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you cant rack it or keep it on a trailer I think the Air Dock is a good option Check it out: http://www.airdock.com/frame_1.htm
Old 03-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Congrats Ray...you reached post # 500.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Kentz

53Ford - you are right! different gels between mfg.'s make a big difference. My buddy kept his 35 Fountain wet in a covered slip for 3 seasons, I was amazed how clean and straight it was when I saw it last summer on a trailer (he sold it).

Don't know about PQ's Ferro. I bet no mfg. would recommend it without bottom paint.

I tend to agree with the guy's about "high&dry", but it sure is nice at the end of the day to dock it, put the cover on, then outta here. The real answer - Slip w/boat lift!

Old 03-02-2002, 06:40 PM
Registered

Congrades on the purchase of your PQ, you'll be happy till you get the 4 or 8 foot itise! I had a 29 and loved the boat till foot itise. I agree with the rest if you have the option rack or trailer and you won't have to worry.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Registered

The Ferro product is top shelf and is used by some of the best manufacturers. Check out some...

I am with a few of the others. Don't leave it in the water if you don't have to. I personally on the ocean and if I left it in the water I would be spending a fortune on bottom cleaning, trim cables, zincs, and sterndrive housings and parts. Fresh water is a little easier on everything but you WILL still get lake growth on your components and hull.

As you already know, fiberglass is a pourous product and will eventually absorb water no mater what gel is used. Keep it cleaned, waxed and/or bottom painted to prevent long term damage is what all the manufacturers will recommend.

That's my .02.