Taylor Windshield Screw Cover Tip

Notices

Taylor Windshield Screw Cover Tip

Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taylor Windshield Screw Cover Tip

Hi,

I have a 95 340. Despite that the boat is covered 100% of the time, the PVC Closed Density Black Foam that is used to cover the screw channel on the Taylor Windsheild dried out and shrunk after 5 years. I was able to order new foam in 2000 directly from Taylor for $20.

It is now 2009. Dried out. Called Taylor and consumers can no longer order direct. But they referred me to 2 stores that it can be ordered from; go2marine and boatersland. The cost now is $86.

So I searched for the raw material. And remembered there is a foam retail shop near my house. Went there and the compared the material and determined it is the same as the wrestling mats used in gyms. Bought a 24x96 sheet for $18 (enough to do my boat until it is classifed as an anitque). All you have to do is cut with your kitchen carving knife.

Nice to find a low-cost remedy.

Jeff
Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffgrice2
Hi,

I have a 95 340. Despite that the boat is covered 100% of the time, the PVC Closed Density Black Foam that is used to cover the screw channel on the Taylor Windsheild dried out and shrunk after 5 years. I was able to order new foam in 2000 directly from Taylor for $20.

It is now 2009. Dried out. Called Taylor and consumers can no longer order direct. But they referred me to 2 stores that it can be ordered from; go2marine and boatersland. The cost now is $86.

So I searched for the raw material. And remembered there is a foam retail shop near my house. Went there and the compared the material and determined it is the same as the wrestling mats used in gyms. Bought a 24x96 sheet for $18 (enough to do my boat until it is classifed as an anitque). All you have to do is cut with your kitchen carving knife.

Nice to find a low-cost remedy.

Jeff
Good job on finding a low cost alternative. I stretched mine out and anchored it in the corners with silicone caulk underneath and has been holding in place. Also give it a good coat of 303 Protectent every season.