Prop Testing >

Prop Testing

Notices

Prop Testing

Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Testing

As I've mentioned in other threads (last year), I'm new to performance boating. I had more than my share of problems last year and ended up burning 2 pistons on my supercharged 502. I had a total rebuid done at the end of the year and went back to stock form. So, I have a fresh 502/415 hp.

I also have an extension box, hydraulic steering, and XR drive.

My performance has been significantly less than all of you have told me it should be. I've taken detailed notes on prop experiences you have noted here. It seems to me that my 280 Silencer should be topping out around the low 60s, cruising at 45 at 4000, and hitting 35 around 3200.

I was thinking last night, maybe because of my inexperience, I'm not driving it right. In all of my testing, I get it up on plane and then tab the bow all of the way up. I then trim about 1/4 up. Am I doing it right? Any other driving tips on tabs or trim I should know about?

Today I'll be testing a hyrdomotive 24P stock. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You're on St. Clair today? Lucky SOB. In my experience in order to reach top speed you're going to want to trim it up almost all of the way. I'd say trim up gradually until you start to lose speed. I take my boat all the way up then back it down a few clicks. As far as tabs, that's more for handling than speed. I leave mine all the way up. You should not need any tabs to get your boat on plane. I would think mid 60's should be obtainable with your set up.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Steve!
I'm saddened to hear that things aren't going smooth! I know that you've had some stumbling blocks since you bought the boat, and I hope things turn out great for you this summer my friend!!!

First off, I'm new in this boat class too, yet I've been driving boats since I can remember. One thing that I can tell from boating is, That no matter what kind of boat, big or small, the boat will let you know if your in the sweet spot or not! Kinda like sex, you should know from the way she feels, moves, and makes noise weather or not she is full tilt! Sorry to use that analogy, but hey!

My 290 is the first boat with k-planes and twins (with decent power) that I have owned. I've driven my buddies 33 outlaw twice, yet with the rest of my 30 years of boating mainly in house boats and fast fish and skies and not so fast fish and skies, the boat lets you know how things are going!

About the only thing that is wrong with my new purchase is that one of my trim tab indicators is not working. I've had the boat out now twice, and it's taken me a full two days to find the right spot, and I just can't stop grinning how good that feels! Sorry, but I'm just in love with the 290! As mentioned before, the k-planes or tabs are for stability at higher speeds. Start out with them up, and start out trimmed down and once on plane just keep trimming up till the boat stops accelerating based on a power setting. Steering should feel neutral (no pulling either side), no prop slipping, and just so so so happy! I know all this sounds like I'm on crack, but the boat just feels "right"! Plus a couple of black and tans causes you to type like this

Anywho, I hope things square out for yah, and I'll see you this summer at Cumberland!
Jake
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Registered

Jake, Congrats on the boat. Despite the troubles I've had, I still believe the PQ is a great boat. I just have to get it right. Like you , I've been boating for a very long time. Always in my flybridge cruiser though, so a whole different world than the "go fast".

Today went both good and bad. The good: I think I'm real close to having it dialed in. Running with a half tank of gas, and 2 of us on board; I'm within about 5 MPH of where I want to be.......and at every range. There is a fair amount of winter debris on the lake, so I had to be pretty cautious, but I pushed it up to 4600 and had plenty of throttle left. My speed hit 52 (GPS). She cruised at around 40 at 4200 with the tabs about 3/4 up. I think the trim part will be fine, but seems to be most effiecient at around 2/3 down.

Now the bad; after I had been cruising for about a half hour at various speeds and RPMS, I'm moving along around 35 MPH (about 3500 RPM) and all of a sudden she chugged like it was starving for gas. A few seconds later, she stalled. I thought maybe my gas gauge was wrong and I had run out of gas. But, it started right up. After choking 2 more times and stalling once more I brought her safely back home.

My mechanic is going out with me tomorrow, and he thinks there may an electrical short somewhere. He's bringing his dashboard, so we can do a process of elimination ---- is it something within the boat or in the brand new engine? We'll see.

It sure can be frustrating, but I'm hanging in there.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Registered

I'll say vapor lock!!!??? Make sure you have the Merc. upgrade for the vapor lock problem. I hope your mechanic is a merc. guy.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Registered

That was my first thought also. Brand new cool fuel system on there though. Shouldn't be vapor lock. Yes, he's a merc guy
Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Today's testing: Not an electrical issue. Next step fuel check
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

Still fuel testing. There is no siphon valve (already been removed) --- so that's not it. The pick up tube is welded to the tank so it can't be removed. I ran wire down it and there is no clog, and it's a full tank of gas, so couldn't be picking up air.

Wednesday I'll put an outboard gas tank on it, totally by pass everything to my pump and see what happens.

I'm back to thinking electrical. Ughhhhhh!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an issue with my 290 with 502 where it would suck air due to the pick up tube cracked at the top in the tank. That came out with the sender, it was not part of the tank. Possibly try to make sure you have a full tank and see if it acts up. Also make sure you dont have any fail safe sensors acting goofy like drive fluid level causing it to go in limp mode. It usually does not keep the engine from stalling, but anything is possible. Check the main engine harness plug and make sure it is seated tight and no wires are pinched or getting tugged on.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Registered

Tank is full. A sensor is possible, it's on the list to check them. Harness plug is tight. Thanks for the suggestions. At this point I need as much input as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.