PQ General Discussion >

PQ General Discussion

Notices

PQ General Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
So, what's new fellas? I'm still trying to decide what to do about power for the Vyper....
The more power/speed thing out of a boat is always a tough decision. How much faster do you want to go and then figure 20hp a side to do it. Also, how much time do you spend at or near w.o.t. to use your additional power and money you put in to it. IMO, if your engines are running great and reliable and you don’t plan on having your boat a long time I would leave it alone and put the money towards the next boat that’s already faster. The problem with boats are whatever you do to them you rarely get your money back for any of the upgrades/power improvements etc. when you go to sell.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I've been having this same battle, thinking about putting 525's in the 300, or just buying a faster boat. As stated, I think it's probably smarter to leave well enough alone in order to not lose your a$$ when selling. The value added is only to you when you still own it. If I can do it for less than 10 grand though I still might because 90 is way better than 80!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put raylar heads and cam and get close to 100 per side for less than 10k. The vyper test I read with 500efi went 86 in salt. Those are 470 HP. I think with 525 it would be close or at 90. Darin Morgan (he developed the Raylar heads at Profiler) said 65 hp with just changing the heads.

The chine walk worries me at that speed. I wish some one has put bigger power in and could provide some feedback.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered
Gold Member

The problem is I don't trust the cast bottom end of the 496. Cranks, rods, pistons,...might as well go 525's. If I could find the same deal AJ did, and sell my HO's for the same as he did or maybe a little more since mine have half the hours, then it's less than 10k. Deals don't seem to come my way like that though usually.

There is definitely a concern with the vyper hull at 90 IMHO. Not putting it down in any way, but I have driven them at 80, and not even close to the stability of a 300. This is where the John Cosker design shines.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PROWRENCH
not even close to the stability of a 300. This is where the John Cosker design shines.
Which models did Cosker have a hand in developing? I thought it was only the SC series.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Which models did Cosker have a hand in developing? I thought it was only the SC series.
I thought it was only the 300. My understanding is PQ called him in when they couldn't get it right with the 300 raptor. I guess there are a couple raptors out there that were concepts and handled like crap.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

I thought it was only the 300. My understanding is PQ called him in when they couldn't get it right with the 300 raptor. I guess there are a couple raptors out there that were concepts and handled like crap.
Yep,,that is correct...
PQ tried a couple of times with the Raptor and also the Predator and finally gave up and had Cosker come up with the twin step Revenge hull,,they did use the original deck..

the 340 and 380 did not start as a twin step hulls,,both straight V bottoms and back in 97/98 the added the step inserts in the molds..

I just think the 300 gives a great ride,,I would have to say for its size its the best riding boat PQ built..
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
Yep,,that is correct...
PQ tried a couple of times with the Raptor and also the Predator and finally gave up and had Cosker come up with the twin step Revenge hull,,they did use the original deck..

the 340 and 380 did not start as a twin step hulls,,both straight V bottoms and back in 97/98 the added the step inserts in the molds..

I just think the 300 gives a great ride,,I would have to say for its size its the best riding boat PQ built..
Great info. Who did the 32SC and 28SC molds? Just curious, I like the boat.

Also, I noticed the 340 & 380 molds have the steps integrated in rather than inserts so it appears that maybe some molds were made later than 97/98? . Were there any handling issues with boats that came from the latest molds?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Great info. Who did the 32SC and 28SC molds? Just curious, I like the boat.

Also, I noticed the 340 & 380 molds have the steps integrated in rather than inserts so it appears that maybe some molds were made later than 97/98? . Were there any handling issues with boats that came from the latest molds?
they only had one set of molds for each,,,,,the steps (inserts) were made and added to the straight V bottom molds to make the step versions..
Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've been having this same battle, thinking about putting 525's in the 300, or just buying a faster boat. As stated, I think it's probably smarter to leave well enough alone in order to not lose your a$$ when selling. The value added is only to you when you still own it. If I can do it for less than 10 grand though I still might because 90 is way better than 80!
And don't forget, 38 is better than 30!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.