Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
PQ General Discussion >

PQ General Discussion

Notices

PQ General Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I have Johnny. Did a quick river run. Didn't push on her too hard since had some old gas in it yet I freshened. I also figured out that the trim limit switch on my starboard drive was way out of adjustment and was limiting my trim range a bit. Also found drive toe setting was about 3/4" off too as well as removed Corsa muffler tips and installed straight through slash-cut tips with flappers. For sure much louder at idle but I think there is far less resonance at higher speeds. I still have Silent Choice as well as very tired 502 MPI motors that have slightly increased timing and limiters.

I do get more bow rise out of the hole with no tab use which is indicative of reduced stern lift. The one time I did push her WOT my GPS did not want to lock in for half of the day naturally. But with nearly a full tank of gas, and 4 adults on board, she did boogie and ride on the pad better than ever before! Bow was up a bit higher, and it felt much faster on flat water. Still can easily bounce the raised rev limiters with 28p Bravo I props at 5300 on starboard motor, runs 5100-5200 on port motor. I just received a set of stock 30p Bravo I props I traded for. Hoping those are the ticket for a little extra top speed and keeping off of the rev limiter. Still have very high prop slip at WOT and it takes a long while for speed to creep up above 64-65 mph. Stern definitely felt more planted and seemed more responsive to trim.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Gimme Fuel;4556686]I have Johnny. Did a quick river run. Didn't push on her too hard since had some old gas in it yet I freshened. I also figured out that the trim limit switch on my starboard drive was way out of adjustment and was limiting my trim range a bit. Also found drive toe setting was about 3/4" off too as well as removed Corsa muffler tips and installed straight through slash

Thanks for sharing your results. I have a straight hull Avenger and always debated about having the running surface blueprinted for some speed improvement. Be sure to let us know more results once you get everything else dialed in.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Registered

I should know more after some good seat time. Possibly this weekend. Gotta keep it calmer with the pregnant wife on board this summer though.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Registered

Well got her out a bit this past weekend. Was rough on the bay, solid 2-3 footers, which is not even ideal speed conditions for this hull. Boat runs an honest 70 mph with full weekending gear including full cooler, coffee maker, full fridge, 3/4 tank of gas, 1/2 water tank, and full crapper tank come to find out (we have never used it)! Ran stock 30p Bravo I props at around 5100 rpm. Engines now run within 100 rpm of each other and the starboard one keeps off the raised limiter at 5300. Love the cruise speeds with the 30p props, right at 48-50 mph around 3800-3900 rpm. Hook better getting onto plane albeit a bit slower, still comes up easy enough with no tabs. Still have decent mid-range acceleration. The hull mods helped quite a bit. Stern stays nice and planted, bow carries much better. Boat now accelerates to 66-67 mph and creeps up to top speed from there. Was running with a friend that has a consistently 70 mph checkmate, and we were running dead even all day. He was impressed what I gained with zero motor work, just dialing setup in. Boat handles great, point and shoot at these speeds. Can't wait to get more power into her, but very happy with the results on tired as heck 960 hour 502 MPI. I imagine if I ever get to run light on gear and fluids, I should see some good speed numbers for what she is.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt the Checkmate was running 70 with that water and I also know how he drives lol. That boat was probably never in the water. We should be out on Saturday. I need to take my boat to bay harbor to get on the rack asap. Good to hear that the boat is running good now!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kicker82
I highly doubt the Checkmate was running 70 with that water and I also know how he drives lol. That boat was probably never in the water. We should be out on Saturday. I need to take my boat to bay harbor to get on the rack asap. Good to hear that the boat is running good now!
Well he was falling behind me at that point! HAHA! Yea I see more of the bottom of that boat than I do the rest when it gets bumpy out! We opened them up once we got behind shelter island and had about 1' chop. He was't gaining at all on me, besides my GPS was working too! My Dream-o-Meter was so useless I don't even have a pitot on the transom for it anymore!

I will be out Saturday but we are coming out of Standish this weekend. Get a hold of me, we'll raft up at State Park beach.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Registered

Smile New owner of a used PQ 222 XL

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a used PQ 222 XL boat based in Switzerland. After I bought my boat, the marina told me that the engine (Mercruiser 350 Magnum EFI Gen+), Bravo One - is not easy to handle in terms of spare parts. Maybe somebody can give me some good advice where I have to go in case of any damages OR general advice are always welcome as a newcomer.

On my first test drive the boat is running not too bad with about 55.6 mph and 4750 rpm but if I read all the messages here in the forum - my boat seems to be the slowest on the market......

Please excuse me if I write some mistakes as a non-native speaker, but I will do my best to follow the conversations.
Regards, Patrick
Old 05-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Registered

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 1996 Powerquest 270 Laser, the boat looks like its in really good condition but has high hours on the hull (1000 hours). The engine has been replaced, 500HP, 262 hours. I was wondering if I should be concerned with the high hull hours? Does anyone know if these boats have wood or fiberglass stringers and transom? Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 12-10-2020, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default -

People visiting this web site would be most interested in vitamin C, but at this point, we wont restrict topics in the general discussion. If people dont like your discussion, they can give you feedback. So, anything goes - for now.
Owen
Old 12-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Registered

Default -

People visiting this web site would be most interested in vitamin C, but at this point, we wont restrict topics in the general discussion. If people dont like your discussion, they can give you feedback. So, anything goes - for now.
Owen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.