your thoughts >

your thoughts

Notices

your thoughts

Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your thoughts

Ok guys I need some thoughts and opinions here. I'm basically wanting to know what you guys think time line and rough ball part on cost would be on the story I'm about to give you. I'm a little frustrated right now and just wanting to hear what you guys think. I knew after I bought the boat (1992 290) I had some leaking going on on my starboard side. I had some engine trouble in the beginning of the year and dropped the boat off june 13th. to fix the drives, and see what's going on with the starboard motor. I was told my gimble shaft seals were bad. So drives came off. Replaced all boots, shift cables, water hoses, port side bell housing, and trim indicators (weren't working). Even was advised to switch drives from side to side for wear. So that takes care of the drives.
Starboard motor was running realy bad and back fireing through the carb. Starboard motor during leak down showed 3 of the cylinders leaking more than 60%. I was advised to pull motor, tear it down and magna flux the block to make sure there were no cracks since the previous owner said he did have an over heat problem with that motor, yet I was told this was a new motor. Since we didn't know if he only did a top end or whole motor rebuild ( I didn't have a way to contact the previous owner), I was advised to do it all right, insteaded of band-aiding something that could be in the bottom end. Motor was pulled and found that both head gaskets were blown and that this was a newer engine because he said it had the mini domes. He felt confident that it was a new motor bottom up (I have since been in contact with previous owner and he said that motor only had 80 hrs on it when I bought it). So good news for me right!? Well, when the mechanic gave me my new estamate, it was only about 25% cheaper. I was like "that's it"? The difference of a full bottom end rebuild not being done only reduced my bill by 25%? Plus I was advised to replace the coupler on the same motor. I still dont have the boat! Was supposed to be done last Friday, now maybe by this Friday.
How long does it take to pull a motor and re-machine the heads mating surface, put back on, and put back in the boat? This guy was highly recommended, but I feel like I'm being taken for a boat ride! I could be wrong here, so that's why I wanted to know what you guys thought?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 247 Likes on 123 Posts

engine will come out in about 3 hours...a shop should be able to have boat back to you with in a couple of weeks..
Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

Thanks boatnt! This has just been a very frustrating process! Every time I call the mechanic there's something else Not broken, yet he suggest to be replaced. I don't want to skimp out and I want it done right, yet it just seems to be dragging on and fairly pricey for the work that has been done. Plus I've only gotten 2 1/2 days this summer on the boat, and I just miss it!! I thought there would be more opinions on here cause I've seen you guys bust chops in here, and I don't mind if someone tells me to chill and boats are just expensive (can't wait to hear the reply's on that sentence)!. Yet I was just looking for honest thoughts. I guess I'll post my bill and receipts and you guys can tell me if I was hosed or it was a fare job for the cost, because we all know if it's a car, truck, bike, tractor, or boat, you need to have a good and trusty mechanic because something is going to break sooner or later. That all I was really getting at.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

While it is frustrating and seems like not a long time for not a lot of work, but how frustrated would you be if you needed a gimble bearing only and they said see you in 2 weeks were doing headgaskets, or needed your drive serviced? There are little jobs that come up and pay the bills that take up time inbetween your job. Keep your head up and that in mind price will be the determining factor in the end best of luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stay positive... I wiped out a coupler on my old 290 with a 502. Pulled the motor, replaced the coupler and had it running again in about 4-5 hours. Head gaskets are not that big of job(not that I want to do them on mine). The hold up would be the machine shop doing the resurfacing. They are probably working on your boat in between the gravy work they have in there shop. In other words, I am sure it is not on there priority list. Have them tell you what day you can expect to pick the boat up.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

specialk, motor is running and in the boat. He told me they are planning on wrapping it up by lunch tomorrow and water testing after that. Crossing fingers. Could still have a couple things after that. The boat was estimated to back to me before now. Doesn't sound like anyone on here is too concerned over the time line I listed, so I'll just patiently wait. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

this also not the best time of year for engines jobs...believe me,i know
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Got the boat back last thursday night and boated all day friday saturday and sunday! Boat runs great and maybe even better than it ever has since I bought it! Still not sure if the cost of the repairs is fare or not, yet I'm just so glad to be able to get some boating in before the end of the season. Still got about a month left here, maybe even able to stretch it a little past that.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude we have over a month left here in MI... you should have no problem stretching into October Jake! Don't be a Wuss!!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

I plan on getting full use out of the rest of the summer!!! Busten a mans chops!