Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
upgrades on electrical system 1990 290 enticer. >

upgrades on electrical system 1990 290 enticer.

Notices

upgrades on electrical system 1990 290 enticer.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrades on electrical system 1990 290 enticer.

I have bee thinking about upgrading the electrical system on the boat. I have done alot of work on it and it looks like a nightmare!! I have heard these system arn't the best in these boats. I have discussed this issue on this forum in the past, just need some clarifiation....I am having some issues when running lights at night, when i turn on a load, the rest of them dim really bad. All new batts, alts. I have thought about running a BIG ground lead to a buss bar for the dash and accessories, I have heard others doing this. Do you just run a negitive buss bar or both b+ and ground?? Mainly when I turn on my spot light from the socket, it isn't very bright, all other lights dim???
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

The power in the dash is daisy chained from one point to another. So, for the lighter socket, there are several connections back to the main batt feed, and these serve the other lights, fans, etc. Ideally, each of these higher amp draws would go back to a buss fed from a heavy guage wire from the b+. So, IMO, changing just the B+ feed will not solve your problem. You need to take each breaker back to the buss. Then upgrading the B+ feed will get the last bit of improvement. Any time you upgrade the B+ feed, the ground needs the same upgrade.

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I have bee thinking about upgrading the electrical system on the boat. I have done alot of work on it and it looks like a nightmare!! I have heard these system arn't the best in these boats. I have discussed this issue on this forum in the past, just need some clarifiation....I am having some issues when running lights at night, when i turn on a load, the rest of them dim really bad. All new batts, alts. I have thought about running a BIG ground lead to a buss bar for the dash and accessories, I have heard others doing this. Do you just run a negitive buss bar or both b+ and ground?? Mainly when I turn on my spot light from the socket, it isn't very bright, all other lights dim???
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

so i should run two seperate B+ and ground busses. Im thinking about picking my B+ up from the starter lug, this way everything will go off when the battery switch is off like its intended. Mainly the lighter socket for my spot light and maybe the docking lights, they really pull from everything else. I don't know why they didn't do a better job in this department, they did a great job on the rest of the boat just not the wiring, from what im reading it is common issue on these pQ's??