Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Engine Compartment Ventilation older 340's-380's >

Engine Compartment Ventilation older 340's-380's

Notices

Engine Compartment Ventilation older 340's-380's

Old 08-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Bote Loco

Thumbs up

Ray - I assume you are comfortable that these will provide adequate air flow and not create some kind of turbulent effect?
If so, I would like to order a set for my '96 Vyper. Powdercoat might be nice. I'm down in St Joseph. Can send check to you or shop.

Thanks............Dave

Old 08-23-2002, 01:13 PM
MK
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scuppers drain the water out of the collection box - which collects the water that backwashes in through the 3" vents under the sun lounge.

I would strongly suggest lifting your hatch before you cut your deck for vents. I tested many PQ's in my years working there and some boats would see an increase from better air where others wouldn't.

Another caution with putting a vent on the forward part of the deck gunwale where you are showing it, is that water will very easily enter your side storage/engine area from right there unless you plan to put a collection box / drain on the inside.

It's a whole lot easier to pop the hatch and see if it makes any difference before you start cutting.

Marc
Old 08-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Kentz

Marc - you've been away awhile As you can tell we still need your expertise, visit more often

Kent

Old 08-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MK: I am trying to use common sense here, The newer 38's have a large air intake near the rear. Mine does not, I am simply trying to route some extra cooling air to the engine compartment. The idea is to force venilate it to keep it cool. I am not trying to gain speed but to keep my whippled engines from detonation because of high engine compartment temps.

I plan on using a neoprene 3" hose that is used for brake cooling on race cars. I also intend on putting a T inline with a drain hose to prevent water from accumulating. I can see a little water slpashig up there from a blown wave. But if a big wave hits there I think I have more problems going on than worring about a little water in the side storage compartments. Anyhow the company that is doing the work for me seems real reasonable on pricing. The eddie marine aluminum vents were like $145.00 each. For there work I could design anything that would work.

bote loco: I am really not sure of the outcome yet but I believe they will at least force some extra air in the while at speed. Hold your hand ther while under way and feel the pressure. I will let you know how they fit once I get them in.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:46 AM
MK
Registered

Kent - I read a lot but don't post a lot b/c I think PQ should be doing more posting to this type of technical stuff. I'll put in my .02 more often to try to help you guys out.

Raypanic - I would agree that if we're considering waves into that vent you will have much more to worry about than a little water in the storage. My statement was more aimed at rain water, washing the boat etc. We looked at numerous styles of vents while I was there, but never decided to add one b/c we always felt they looked "added on" rather than designed in. I have not seen the new vents up close, but I think if you can figure out a way to put a vent in that looks good - go for it! Maybe you could order a set of factory vents and install those? It can never hurt to have a little more air, whether for cooling the motors or for air intake.

Marc
Old 08-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mark good to still see you around. Will the new factory vents work with our boats I thought they were built into the molds?
That would be something I would consider if they were available.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Vent

Glassed in, I wonder if it is part of the mold or added on, I know the covering wing is attatched later but what about the "Bowl"?
Attached Thumbnails Engine Compartment Ventilation older 340's-380's-pqvent.jpg  
Old 08-27-2002, 06:23 AM
MK
Registered

That is definitely in the mold and could not be added to your boat without some significant work, Scott.

Like I said, I have not seem them up close, but that looks like a very nice addition to the deck of the 38 (and I assume 34 as well)

Marc
Old 02-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Bote Loco

Ray, I read you own a different boat now. But was curious if you came to any conclusions on your PQ ventilation issue after this last thread?

Dave